Goodbye Research In Motion. Hello BlackBerry! (And BB10)

Discussion in 'Mobile Devices & Gadgets' started by Eug, Jan 30, 2013.

1. Ravynmagi

Ravynmagi Platinum Member

It's not really using an OMAP4470 is it? That specs link only mentioned a dual core 1.5GHz, which could hopefully mean some kind of newer dual core A15 processor that would be quite fast. If it's a OMAP4470, that's is disappointing from purely a technical specs perspective. Though I guess if it works well with that OS and phone it probably doesn't matter to much. Still, would have liked to seen a more modern processor so the phone would be a bit more future proof. With as fast as these things go obsolete, every little bit helps.

2. grkM3

grkM3 Golden Member

well rim stock took a 6% drop this morning,looks like investors don't like the device

3. Red Storm

Red Storm Lifer

Engadget claims the keyboard is the best of any mobile OS. Of course they specifically say stock, kinda negating what Android is all about (though the stock Android keyboard is damn good IMHO especially since it picked up prediction and swipe style typing).

4. Deeko

Deeko Lifer

Investors tend to get pissy when they don't get hard news on availability (or when that availability is too far out). I would imagine the stock drop is more due to those factors than their thoughts on the device/OS itself.

5. Red Storm

Red Storm Lifer

Not liking that at all. I rarely power my phone on/off, but when I do I hate dealing with long boot/shutdown times.

6. grkM3

grkM3 Golden Member

stock went from 18 when they first started talking about it to 16 and then half way into there video today dropped to 14

It droped when they talked about it a few days ago and now that investors have seen all the details about the device have made up there minds.

http://newyork.newsday.com/business...op-after-blackberry-10-introduction-1.4534186

7. Anubis

Anubis No Lifer

1 min boot is 1 min faster then my gnex which takes ~2min to boot to the lock screen and prob nother 30s-1min to turn the radios on

8. jalyst

jalyst Member

Why? The vast bulk of Android's are still dual-core, ip5 is dual-core, & no WP's have more than dual-core.
    Is there even that much sw/use-cases which truly benefit 4-core yet, let lone dual core?
    How is the CPU/GPU config. (& the SoC as-a-whole for that matter) bad compared to most other android/wp dual-core socs or the iP5's?

#33 jalyst, Jan 30, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2013
  9. dlock13

dlock13 Platinum Member

You have to remember that some companies go through a drop on reveal day only to bounce back when the device hits the market.

Take this company for instance or this link.

#34 dlock13, Jan 30, 2013
  10. Ravynmagi

My Nexus 4 takes 25 seconds to boot and 5 more seconds to connect to the network.

11. bonkers325

bonkers325 Lifer

my gnex takes 5 seconds to shut down, 30 seconds to boot into lock screen. i use cm10 tho

12. Ravynmagi

The vast bulk of Android phones released last year, sure. iPhone 5 is a dual core A15 (or their variation of it) which is twice as fast as the 4470's A9 architecture.

Seems quite weak of Android to bust into 2013 with a new phone sporting a dual core A9 processor. I guess it'll be good enough. But I just don't get why not at least a dual core A15.

13. Eug

Eug Lifer

People have been complaining about A15's power utilization.

Boot time is not a major concern to me. If the phone needs to be rebooted regularly, then there's something wrong with it or it's design IMO. What is much, much more important to me is OS feel. Lag is still a noticeable problem on Android, although that's been mitigated somewhat with the high-clocked dual-core or else quad-core CPUs, and 2 GB RAM starting to show up in Android phones. It's much, much less of a problem on iOS, despite being at most dual-core, with 1 GB RAM.

It will be interesting to see how smooth BB10 is with dual-core 1.5 and 2 GB RAM.

14. silverpig

silverpig Lifer

Just got my upgrade email from Bell in Canada. 149.95 on a 3 yr, 649.95 outright.

15. grkM3

grkM3 Golden Member

Just wondering since you always say androids have lag and is a problem on them.Have you ever used a GS3 or note 2?I don't know what you mean there is lag but the Samsung phones have no lag you speak of.

16. WelshBloke

WelshBloke Lifer

Really? 15 seconds for my SGS3, just timed it.

17. grkM3

grkM3 Golden Member

You are comparing rim to the richest company in the world lol I think investers have a little more faith in apple long term than rim.

18. Anubis

Anubis No Lifer

yea im pretty sure its an issue with the AOKP build i use wasent always this slow

19. WelshBloke

WelshBloke Lifer

I'm not going to debate whether there's any lag on modern android phones but to call it a noticeable problem seems to be over egging things.

20. Eug

Eug Lifer

Yes I have (Galaxy S III) and yes it does. (I haven't used a Note 2.) It's no surprise that Google itself considers this a major issue on Android, and established and advertised a named project - Project Butter - to tackle this issue.

Fortunately, it's a lot better in 4.1 than it ever was before, because Google was smart enough to acknowledge this issue. They still have work to do though.

When you come from iOS to Android, it's pretty noticeable. I have a dual-core 1.5 GHz 4.0.4 Android phone (Motorola RAZR HD, so with a very near-stock Android OS) and it sometimes lags as much as my single-core 1 GHz iPhone 4 on iOS 6. It's the same CPU as in the Samsung Galaxy S III by the way, the Snapdragon S4 Plus. That lag disappears with dual-core iPhones, but is still there sometimes with my quad-core Tegra 3 Android 4.2 Nexus 7. No, it's not a deal-killer by any means, but nonetheless I find it noticeable.

The good news for my 4.0.4 Android phone is that they started rolling out the 4.1 update yesterday in Canada. (It was December in the US.) Mine hasn't been updated yet but I expect to be able to update it in the next couple of days.

#45 Eug, Jan 30, 2013
  21. joshhedge

joshhedge Senior member

I personally think after looking at the devices and the immediate review of the Q10 and Z10 that these devices are DOA.

22. dagamer34

dagamer34 Platinum Member

Don't forget that iOS with a slower CPU regularly outdoes Android phones due to far better software optimizations. It's also one of the reasons iOS has better battery life (CPU operates at lower voltage planes).

23. grkM3

grkM3 Golden Member

Im sorry but you are just plain wrong about it.and the gs3 ran just fine on ics.I hate apple fan boys that talk about lag on androids.

Go use a note 2 or gs3 for a few weeks snd report back on how smooth they run.

You do know cyangenmod was hired by samsung to work on the stock rom right? That is why the gs3 pretty much runs faster then any asop rom out there.

Please tell us what exactly is lagging compared to ios

24. bonkers325

bonkers325 Lifer

after reading the review, BB10 seems like a great OS. the hardware isn't leading edge, but BlackBerry was never meant to be leading edge hardware. it's a work horse meant for communication.

if the battery can manage to last a full day of consistent screen-on time and emailing/texting/BBM, then you have a winner. engadget pegs it as an hour less than the GS3 and 3 hours less than ip5 on standard video loop tests. i think that equates to almost full day usage for most people... but it doesnt strike me as good enough.

25. Deeko

Deeko Lifer

You do realize that this thread is about BB10? Take your ridiculous Android vs iOS battles elsewhere.