Goodbye 'Napster' -- Hello 'Newtella'

Compellor

Oct 1, 2000
With the recent press release over NAPSTER'S decision to start charging people a monthly "fee" for file sharing (what a joke), I did some searching and found an alternative to Napster's file sharing service. It's called "Newtella," and is absolutely free of charge. It's a peer to peer service (impossible to shut down), as opposed to Napster's centralized server based system. I've been using it for the last hour or so and found that it's very similar to Napster. It works pretty good, too. The software is still a BETA program, but it's easy to use.

You may have already heard of it or are using it now. I just thought I would mention it to anyone looking for a FREE alternative to share your MP3's with other people. Once Napster starts charging people for file sharing, I'm done with them. It's total BS to charge people that are providing a service. The whole idea from the beginning was to "share" your music with other people on the internet -- for FREE. I'm glad I found a new alternative.

NEWTELLA

Mark

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
I think your forgot to mention that the Newtella network is slow as hell with so many dial up users.

somethingwitty

Golden Member
Aug 1, 2000

<< It's total BS to charge people that are providing a service >>

what?! Napster has every right to charge for their service, just like you have every right to switch to another program.

Psst-I've heard about this other program called scour exchange. I hear it's free (for now), faster than newtella, and has a larger selection. may want to check it out

kami

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Scour is pretty good, yeah.

Don't worry..there will always be a way to get your mp3s.

somethingwitty

Golden Member
Aug 1, 2000
There are different versions of gnutella-i think one is called newtella...AOL owned the original gnutella, but they posted it online, and it has since been adopted by a core group of programmers

pac1085

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2000
Why the hell would I pay napster a monthly fee to allow other people to access my 200 Albums I have in MP3 format on my computer? Thats just dumb...Im just gonna stick with FTP and IRC from now on.

kami

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
yeah, their large user base (which is what makes Napster better than the others) will probably be reduced to 1/10 or less of what it is now. They're a bunch of idiots...it's not like Napster is the only way I can feed my mp3 addiction.

Ranger X

Lifer
Mar 18, 2000
If Napster starts charging, there will be alternatives in getting MP3s for free. I see it happen all the time.

BowDown

Banned
Jun 2, 2000
Ya... I got some of that stuff when I was in Italy. It kicks butt! Kind of expensive in the states though...

SqUiRm

Dec 31, 1999
well the only reason i liked napster better is because i like the ability 2 change its i-face around... like all the colors and stuff.. and i liked the layout... But i dont think u can do that with SX and Newtella...

bigvince

Banned
Aug 25, 2000
it amazing the kinky stuff you can do with that nutlla stuff and it is scrumdiddilyumpious....especialy on certiain parts of the female anatomy....;)

syf3r

Oct 15, 1999

hotline is the best app for trading music, hands down. www.bigredh.com. 100's and 100's of servers with thousands of albums (that's right, albums, not single tracks).

-syf3r.

stonerdave

Golden Member
Jul 26, 2000
scour is da bomb...I read somewhere they went bankrupt and did a search on zdnet...

http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/newsbursts/0,7407,2649200,00.html

<< Online music company Listen.com said Wednesday it has agreed to buy the assets of Scour Inc., the Internet search engine company, partly owned by Hollywood power broker Michael Ovitz, which declared bankruptcy in early October. >>

So...will sx still be around in a few months?

Doodoo

Golden Member
Feb 14, 2000
Yeah...nutella is good stuff...good with bread...and what bigvince said...as for mp3s and vids I use scour.

DirkBelig

Banned
Oct 15, 1999
Hotline USED to be cool, but I got sick of chasing through pr0n banners and assorted BS to find that the LI/PW didn't work. Sub-List is IT for me.

Bryan

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Hey Paulson, why in the world do you insist on the name calling? You don't come off as a hardass, you come off as a dick.

Compellor

Oct 1, 2000
Paulson:

Name calling? What style you have...

1. I still DO support Napster.

2. I've added several of my own MP3's...FOR FREE. It's music I PAID for with my own hard earned money.

3. I provide a service anytime someone downloads a file off MY hard drive -- for FREE.

Napster was about SHARING music for FREE, and now they want to charge me for supplying my own music, and the use of my hard drive and bandwidth. Why should I pay one dime when it's my own music that I already paid for?

IBhacknU

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
There will always be a source of music via the internet, be it MP3's or whatever comes along next.

If not Napster, then someone else will come along and charge money to access it. BUT, there will still always be a way to find it for free.

Guess what, I think people are going to pay. Not everyone, but some people.

Look at the mix we have here. How many AnandTech'rs would think about paying for AOL? Not many. How many AnandTech'rs will pay for Napster. Again, not many. Just remember:

MEMBERS HERE DON'T REPRESENT THE MAINSTREAM. WE ARE NOT THE PEOPLE THAT WILL MAKE NAPSTER SUCCEED.