Good way to cancel plans with someone?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Beev, Dec 31, 2010.

1. Beev

Beev Diamond Member

I'm quite the social retard, so I don't really know how to approach it, but I need to cancel plans with a friend tonight. There's a bit of backstory, but I'll try to keep it brief.

My roommate has recently gotten very upset with this mutual friend of ours. This happened after I made plans with said friend. Originally we were going to have a little new years eve get together at our apartment, but my roommate doesn't even want to see this guys face (she mad). At this point the only alternative is I go to our friends place instead, alone, where it will be just me, him, and his girlfriend. That is not a good time to me. I would much rather spend the time with my roommate.

So how do I break off the plans with our friend without causing a bunch of extra crap? I don't want him to think I am mad too, and I don't want him to think my roommate has me "whipped" or anything. But I also don't want to say "I would rather hang out with my roommate" because that sounds kind of rude.

2. SandEagle

SandEagle Lifer

just cancel. don't start off 2011 by being a pussy

3. Hacp

Hacp Lifer

Tell him you want to be with your roommate and she doesn't want to be with him so you gotta bail.

4. mcvickj

mcvickj Diamond Member

How about the truth? Sounds like your guy friend did something to piss her off. Tell him to man up and apologize then everyone can get together and have a good time.

5. Mike Gayner

Mike Gayner Diamond Member

Jesus christ some people need to consult ATOT on the most petty issues, huh?

6. OCGuy

OCGuy Lifer

A little white lie always works. This one one of my favorites:

"Sorry X, I cannot attend (pre-planned event) tonight. The reason is simple. My grandma is sick in the hospital with a rare strain of AIDS. Apparently she was hiking deep in the Congo bush in 2007, when her guide suddenly collapsed and died. Without knowing where to go, she was forced to live on her own in the wilderness for 30 days and 30 nights. Luckily, she thinks Bear Grylls is a stud, so she had seen the whole 1st season of Man v Wild 25 times.

After 6 lonely nights of rain and mosquito bites, she heard something rustling the bushes behind her make-shift shelter. Suddenly appeared a baffling sight: A monkey. Not just any monkey (according to her), but an extremely handsome one, "with an ass like Bear Grylls."

For the next 24 days, they spent each day gathering firewood, and each night making sweet passionate love in the moonlight. Finally, on the 30th day, she became so hungry, she had to snap his neck and eat him. The sad part is, immediately after she finished off the "good meat," a helicopter appeared overhead, and she was finally rescued.

Can we reschedule?

7. Nintendesert

Nintendesert Diamond Member

Good to know you're starting out the new year with drama and no testicles.

8. CurseTheSky

CurseTheSky Diamond Member

Tell the person you've been struck with extreme sexual exhaustion and cannot attend.

If they tell you that they still expect you to be there, and you can just use your other arm / hand to shake hands with everyone, they've just laid the best burn of the new year on you and you are now unquestionably obligated to go.

9. Beev

Beev Diamond Member

I don't feel like I am. I'm not afraid to tell him. I just don't want him to feel bad.

See above.

Obligatory "I'll be sure to consult you if I need any help finding the right hole on a sheep."

Basically, what I'm getting is that I shouldn't care about his feelings.

10. Matthiasa

Matthiasa Diamond Member

Well the longer you wait the worse it's going to be. :p
    You know you could always just tell him the truth, I know a strange concept but sometimes it does work.

11. Nintendesert

Nintendesert Diamond Member

Just tell him the damn truth then, "I want to spend the New Year with the chick that holds my balls and you pissed her off. Sorry bro, but she's a better lay than you."

12. highland145

highland145 Lifer

I say cancel on both of them and go out with some other friends and get laid.

Or this

13. Beev

Beev Diamond Member

Told him the truth. He called me lame and told me to suck it up. I'm sure he'll get over it...

14. highland145

highland145 Lifer

Was she pissed for a legitimate reason?