good video capture solution?

joecool

Platinum Member
Apr 2, 2001
fellow at'ers,

i'm interested in trying to capture my home videos (shot on those small 8mm cassettes which so many camcorders use). i don't need to do a lot of fancy stuff (in fact i don't want to, i've got enough stuff to do already!), i just want to capture the movies from the camera and put them on cd so i can play them in my dvd player rather than having to use the camcorder for playback (unreliable since this will die some day).

anyone have any good recommendations for a relatively inexpensive but decent hardware/software combination to do this? i've ordered the msi ti4600 vtd card which supports these features, but i'd like to go for a solution that isn't dependant on my video card - when i upgrade the card i don't want to loose my dv capture capabilities! i've been reading up on the dazzle products several sound quite good - the video creator 80 and the video creator 100 sound like just the ticket - anyone have any good/bad experiences with these?

one more item - my camcorder isn't digital so it doesn't have firewire out - just plain old composit video. and ideally i'd like to capture AT LEAST 640x480 resolution - preferably more, i think the camcorder captures at a higher resolution than that.

thanks in advance,

joe <B>
</B>

SladeZero

Jul 10, 2001
Hey there,

Well I have this card....LEADTECH WINFAST TV2000 XP. It's a TV Tuner card, but it has Composite & S-Video. It also comes with
remote that turn to the diff channels, turn the power on/off and the capture software can capture 640 X 480 or you can use
virtual dub for the 700's. It costs about $64 on NEWEGG.COM with FREE FEDEX SAVER SHIPPING :). The only thing is you
need lots of HDD space. You can then take the straight AVI and encode it with TMPGEnc and turn it into a VCD to watch on your
DVD player. Don't worry encoding is not as bad as it sounds. The cool thing is you can set the software to capture shows that are like
8 months away....not that you would but you could. Check it out at NEWEGG.COM or here LEADTEK Winfast TV2000 XP.. It is also compatible with WIN XP. :)

Hope that helps.

SladeZero