good verizon cell phones?

zimu

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2001
a friend of mine is getting verizon. she basically wants a dual/tri band phone thats cheap (preferably under 100 bucks), definitely flip.

two questions:
a) what are some good phones out there by verizon, what do you reccommend
b) is dual/tri band really good versus the digital only phones? my sister has a tri band and gets annoyed cause it keeps switching to roaming when the signal gets even slightly weak, which is more of an annoyance than a convenience factor if you're in an area with no digital signal.

comments/ suggestions?

kaizersose

Golden Member
May 15, 2003
go with an LG, they have become pretty reliable in the last few years. check epinions.com for some reviews.

good choice with verizon

Mr N8

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2001
I have an LG VX4600. Great phone, great reception, and stylish. No camera, though, if you want that.

Antoneo

Diamond Member
May 25, 2001
Originally posted by: MogulMonster
I have an LG VX4600. Great phone, great reception, and stylish. No camera, though, if you want that.
Does it have an active matrix LCD screen just like the VX6000?

Thegonagle

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2000
The Motorola V710 isn't going to be under $100. My guess is that will be $299 or more with a two year contract.

If a monochrome screen is OK, I'd recommend the V60s. It's a well made, durable phone with good reception that can be made even better by buying a V60i pull-up antenna for $10. It also happens to have an excellent speaker phone and there are lots of custom faceplates available from Motorola and third parties.

In most areas where it's available, the V60s should be $89.99 with only a one year contract. (With a one year contract, she can upgrade her phone at the new customer price after only 10 months. With a two year contract, she's basically stuck with the phone for 22 months, unless she wants to pay full retail price, or go through the hassle of buying a new or used phone from someone other than Verizon.)