Good Twitter thread on the horror of "concentration camps" and the applicability of that term to migrants being detained at the Southern border

Page 14 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
As usual you and the dumb stump can't follow anything. We've never had unchecked immigration in this country, which was the claim. Previously, very little of it was illegal. People arriving at Ellis Island were not just jumping over a border. Only since 2016 have we reached levels comparative to the absolute high set in 1910.

Heh. I showed that there were no immigration quotas prior to 1917, other than for Chinese. Anybody who could afford a boat ride could come here. It was unchecked, leading to nativist backlash 100 years ago. Your own graph shows how the immigrant population peaked in 1910 as a result of previous policy.

I've never claimed that we need more immigrants for agricultural work. I've pointed out many times that 60% of illegal immigrants live in 20 metro areas.

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2019/03/11/us-metro-areas-unauthorized-immigrants/

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
I bet the 5 most vociferous AntiMexers on this board are either:

A. Not even American citizens to begin with so STFU already... and if they are...
B. At the very least were not even born here...

Fucking Dead Rabbits...

Nov 8, 2012
I bet the 5 most vociferous AntiMexers on this board are either:

A. Not even American citizens to begin with so STFU already... and if they are...
B. At the very least were not even born here...

Fucking Dead Rabbits...

AntiMexers?

These aren't mexicans crossing detective dipshit.

And I'm married to a South American immigrant. But... you know..... one of those DIRTY legal ones. She should have just hopped the border instead of applying amirite?

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
AntiMexers?

And I'm married to a South American immigrant. But... you know..... one of those DIRTY legal ones. She should have just hopped the border instead of applying amirite?

Fox said they were Mexican countries so you should believe them. You seem to believe the rest of it.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
lol Canada has a BIG preference for the cream of the crop even to the point of asking us to help them at our border with them. The UN is also begging them to open their doors to the huddled masses.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...03311fbbbfe_story.html?utm_term=.09d57e10ca0c

In a twist, Canada asks U.S. for help cracking down at its southern border

https://nationalpost.com/news/canad...rable-mexican-migrants-from-central-america-2

UN urges Canada to take more vulnerable Mexican migrants from Central America
You just don`t get it do you??? Thos3e iimigrants are not being turned away at the Canadian border......
These immigrants that are being talked about are being turned away by the US at our southern border!
This has nothing to do with Canada...other than the United nations is trying to place the immigrants that we turned down!!
It is NOT Canada`s problem....duhhh!!

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
As usual you and the dumb stump can't follow anything. We've never had unchecked immigration in this country, which was the claim. Previously, very little of it was illegal. People arriving at Ellis Island were not just jumping over a border. Only since 2016 have we reached levels comparative to the absolute high set in 1910.

Before 1892, there was no Ellis Island for immigrants to pass through. My ancestors stepped off the coffin ships and, seven years later, swore an oath and they were Americans.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Would it matter?

It actually does. OTOH, lots of green card holders live out their lives in America w/o becoming citizens. Green cards don't expire other than in a technical sense. If you have one, it's just paperwork for a renewal.

Last edited:
Reactions: DarthKyrie

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
AntiMexers?

So you are going with the 'I'm not racist because I have a black friend' argument?