Good to see Obama Plans to follow Bush Lead On Nukes

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Braznor

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2005
Nuclear weapons are the greatest peacemakers!

Isn't it ironic for a weapon of so much destructive power!

The sad question is how much longer?

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005
Originally posted by: bamacre
Originally posted by: palehorse74
Originally posted by: cwjerome
Originally posted by: Rainsford
Originally posted by: cwjerome
Originally posted by: GodlessAstronomer
This is excellent news. I know it's not fashionable to say anything positive about anything Professor Dubbya does, but this makes me happy. Now you just need to get rid of the remaining 6,000 warheads and we'll be set.

For what? Invasion?

Who's going to invade us? Those Canadians are looking pretty shifty, I admit, but I think we can take them.

Honestly, sometimes I think the reason conservatives act so weird now is because you guys really MISS the Cold War. You've taken paranoia and xenophobia to such an art form that the very idea of being able to get along with other countries makes you uncomfortable. I think secretly you guys are GLAD 9/11 happened. Not because of all the deaths, of course, but because now there is a great new enemy to hate and fear and all that stuff you miss so much from the bad old days.

A world where the US has 0 nukes and everyone else has theirs isn't a world I'd like to live in. If you had a molecule of reason in your brain you'd feel the same.
QFT!

I can't stand it when people advocate trying to shove the nuclear cat back into the bag...

Now you know how Iran feels.
REALLY?! so they already have nuclear missiles? I must have missed that announcement...

The "cats," in this case, are the missiles. Try to keep up.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
You underestimate our warhead delivery systems. Some ICBM can carry multiple smaller yeild warheads and deliver them in a pattern thus spreading out the pain and destruction.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Originally posted by: ProfJohn
This is all a devious plan by Bush.

Reduce the number of weapons and then announce that we don?t have enough nukes and demand that congress pay to make more!!!

Damn warmongering traitor!!! :thumbsdown::|:thumbsdown:

Not so funny when you realize the lobbying power of the munitions makers who know that the demand for their product largely rests on its use. Hence, 'shock and awe'?

Or perhaps you're simply calling President Eisenhower a liar or uninformed for his choosing to make the topic of his farewell speech to the nation the undue influence of such interests.

MadRat

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
The problem is we no longer are producing the nuclear fuel. They have to reduce the warheads to keep any significant number working.

heyheybooboo

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2007
Originally posted by: K1052
Originally posted by: ironwing
The nuclear material is returned to Pantex for dismantling and storage. Until the U.S. decides to operate a mixed oxide reactor or breeder reactor, it will not be possible to get rid of the weapons material. We aren't there yet, politically.

The DOE has let a contract for a MOX fuel fabrication plant at the Savannah River Site. Construction began this year and it is expected to go online in 2014.

I think used bomb plutonium is currently sent to France for reprocessing. I've got a house outside of Charlotte, NC, where I can see the McGuire Nuke Plant from my bathroom window - McGuire has been testing small amounts of MOX fuel but I believe they quit last June or so because of heat issues associated with the rod assembly.

The operation with a small percentage of MOX went outside of design parameters - I believe they dropped back and were going to try a new 'mix' to see if they could keep the temps down.

As far as the bombs are concerned the US actually took a lot more of them out of service but a number of them were replaced with the 'new and improved' models.

The US was never big on high 'kiloton' bombs (not like the Rooskies, anyway). The new models are smaller but still provide a nice 'punch'.

I haven't kept up with it lately but I will guess that there has been further adjustment on the 'triad' (ICBMs, and air- and sea-launched bombs) - I think they are going away from ICBMs with 'MIRVs' to more 'surgical' nukes.