Good tips on stopping phlegm (loogies)?

BamBam215

Golden Member
Feb 17, 2000
I was sick like a month ago w/ the flu. When the flu was over, I was still left with a light cough. The cough went away but the phlegm continue to persist up until now. It's not as bad as before but I still find myself coughing every morning to get rid of the phlegm stuck in my throat. During the day I would also have problems trying to talk in a loud voice because of the phlegm stuck in my throat. Is there anyway to remedy this?

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
well i just had surgery to remove my tonsils and to clear some blockage from my nose (i had broken it a few times and it healed wrong).

That has actually stoped the phlegm and my snoring!

BamBam215

Golden Member
Feb 17, 2000
Originally posted by: waggy
well i just had surgery to remove my tonsils and to clear some blockage from my nose (i had broken it a few times and it healed wrong).

thats just a bit too drastic :p

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: BamBam215

yeah maybe it is. but now i can breath, i dont snore and no phlegm! heh

oh and the week vacation is nice!

erikiksaz

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 1999
Welcome to my world, phlegm for as many years as i can remember! The only time they seem to loosen up is in the morning for me, so i usually try my best to cough em up then.

DrNoobie

Banned
Mar 3, 2004
Originally posted by: DrNoobie
Phenylpropanolamine

eh?

Increases drainage out of the nose. Guaifenesin decreases the stickiness of the phlegm, and allows it to clear out of the throat. Take in conjuction with each other.

DrNoobie

Banned
Mar 3, 2004

yeah maybe it is. but now i can breath, i dont snore and no phlegm! heh

oh and the week vacation is nice!

Murder those damned lymph tissue posers. They don't do any real work, viruses and bacteria are nothing.

BamBam215

Golden Member
Feb 17, 2000
Phenylpropanolamine

eh?

Increases drainage out of the nose. Guaifenesin decreases the stickiness of the phlegm, and allows it to clear out of the throat. Take in conjuction with each other.

Are those medicines I can find over the counter?

Jzero

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Phenylpropanolamine

eh?

The FDA pulled Phenylpropanolamine b/c it causes strokes or some such. I dunno if you can get it with a prescription but I don't think you can get it OTC.

BamBam215

Golden Member
Feb 17, 2000
Originally posted by: Jzero
Phenylpropanolamine

eh?

The FDA pulled Phenylpropanolamine b/c it causes strokes or some such. I dunno if you can get it with a prescription but I don't think you can get it OTC.

that's not good. i need something i can pick up over the counter and won't give me any adverse side-effects.

DrNoobie

Banned
Mar 3, 2004
Originally posted by: Jzero

Meh, it only causes hemorrhagic stroke in women, and even then it's a 10% increased risk. AFAIK you can still get it with a prescription.