Good Techno Music Suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimKiler

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2002
10-12 years ago I listened to techno music at its mainstream peak including groups like Chemical Brothers, Crystal Method, Prodigy, Moby, Orbital etc. Yes I know this is all *pop* techno and am okay with that. I find it hard to find good techno ever since that era and in fact some of the above bands don't even have good music anymore.

Please suggest some bands and specific songs since this era for me to check out. I like songs like Oribtal: Halycon +on +on , a perfect sunrise, satan live. Chemical Brothers: setting sun, block rocking beats. Crystal Method: Trip like I do and keep hope alive.

Murloc

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2008
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_beat
I found this page, apparently this genre includes many of the groups you listed. There are others cited, maybe try them out.
On wikipedia you can find various classifications of the genres of any group, with precise descriptions of the rhytms too, it might help to find which genre each group is and then look at the list of groups.

JimKiler

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2002
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_beat
I found this page, apparently this genre includes many of the groups you listed. There are others cited, maybe try them out.
On wikipedia you can find various classifications of the genres of any group, with precise descriptions of the rhytms too, it might help to find which genre each group is and then look at the list of groups.

thanks, sounds like for the most part I liked the style of the late 90's, big beat, which morphed since then. I am familiar with a lot of those artists but not all of them so I will have to check out the others.

I used to watch Amp or Amped on MTV back in the 90's to get exposed to some of these great groups.

Monster_Munch

Oct 19, 2010
I don't know if you can get BBC Radio 1 in your country, but try listening to the Pete Tong and Kissy Sellout radio shows if you want to hear the latest house/techno/electro music. Annie Mac's show is also quite good if you want to hear more "pop" techno.

Gigantopithecus

Diamond Member
Dec 14, 2004
BT - Movement in Still Life
Hybrid - Wide Angle, Morning Sci-Fi, Disappear Here (I'd skip I Choose Noise for starters, it's their weakest offering)
Fluke - Risotto's their best, the others, meh.
Future Sound of London - Accelerator is more 'big beat' than their later albums.
Indian Ropeman - Elephantsound
Propellerheads - Decksandrumsandrockandroll

OP, that might be more 'poppy' techno that you listed, but Orbital in particular made some pretty awesome music.

JimKiler

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2002
OP apparently hasn't heard of pandora poor guy.

Pandora is hit or miss but i specifically wanted recommendations from people not Pandora.

BT - Movement in Still Life
Hybrid - Wide Angle, Morning Sci-Fi, Disappear Here (I'd skip I Choose Noise for starters, it's their weakest offering)
Fluke - Risotto's their best, the others, meh.
Future Sound of London - Accelerator is more 'big beat' than their later albums.
Indian Ropeman - Elephantsound
Propellerheads - Decksandrumsandrockandroll

OP, that might be more 'poppy' techno that you listed, but Orbital in particular made some pretty awesome music.

Thanks I dig propellerheads, FSOL, and a few Fluke songs. I will check out BT, Indian Ropeman and Hybrid.

Status
Not open for further replies.