Good Speakers???? And Good Soundcard?

HappyDude111

Feb 18, 2003
29-102-156 SOUND BLASTER LIVE! (SB0220) 5.1% 1 $33.00 $33.00
Creative Labs (800)-998-1000

36-124-001 ABIT SP-53 5.1 SPEAKER SYSTEM 1 $42.00 $42.00
Abit (510)-623-0500

They are good right? Surround sound? Can i hook it up to my tv so i can watch Tv in surround sound? it is a 19 inch sylvania. So what is the deal on the speakers?

maxSe

Golden Member
Aug 23, 2000
umm... wrong forum...? :D

The SB Live is decent card... I have no idea on the speakers, tho... ;)

HappyDude111

Feb 18, 2003
On Sale! Creative Labs Sound Blaster Live! Dolby Digital 5.1 - OEM
PCI 32-bit, 1024-voice Environmental Audio Sound Card, now with Dolby Digital 5.1 support
EMU10K1 Digital Signal Processor provides studio quality sound reproduction for digital processing and playback of MP3, WMA, WAV, Internet Audio, MIDI, and CD audio.
EAX Environmental Audio Effects allows gamers to hear sounds coming from all around them over multiple speaker configurations with full EAX support Model#: 70SB022200000

and

ABIT SP-53 5.1 Channel Speaker SystemABIT SP53 is a value-packed 5.1 Channel Speaker System. Its very essence of flexibility allows you to configure the SP53 in a multitude of ways to meet your listening needs.
Specifications:
System Frequency Response
Subwoofer:30Hz ~300Hz Satellites:100Hz ~ 20KHz
S/N Ratio: Subwoofer:>80dB Satellites:>80dB
Audio Power Out Subwoofer:20W Satellites:25W (5W per satellite)
Back Panel Connector: Subwoofer Volume,Front Volume,Center Volume,
Rear Volume,G9 DIN Input,5ch RCA output (FL, FR, C, SL, SR),Power Switch
Dimensions (W*H*D) Subwoofer: 154(w) x 290(H) x 195(D) mm
Satellites: 87(w) x 125(H) x 116(D) mm

PIc is

http://images2.newegg.com/productimage/36-124-001-01.JPG

KidChaos

Jan 21, 2003
Not familiar with those speakers, but definitely get the Guillemot Hercules Fortissimo III sound card instead of the creative card. Cost $42.

EdipisReks

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2000
Originally posted by: KidChaos
Not familiar with those speakers, but definitely get the Guillemot Hercules Fortissimo III sound card instead of the creative card. Cost $42.

rolleye.gif
if he's going with speakers like that, he certainly doesn't need anything better than a Live.

KidChaos

Jan 21, 2003
Originally posted by: EdipisReks

rolleye.gif
if he's going with speakers like that, he certainly doesn't need anything better than a Live.
Good point. Maybe EdipisReks or others will have some recommendations for speakers as I appear to be out of my league in this area. Does someone else want to chime in?

EdipisReks

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2000
Originally posted by: HappyDude111
They are no good speakers? They are supposed to be Surround sound compliant.
being surround sound compliant doesn't say anything about the quality. all that means is that it has enough satellites to physically produce surround sound. 5 tin cans and 5 pieces of string could theoretically be "surround sound compliant". :) they look crappy. while looks are obviously not an indicator of quality, they are cheap. cheap speakers are usually crappy.

if you have your heart set on 5.1 speakers, but don't want to spend too terribly much, i would get the logitech z640's. it just so happens that there is a mail in manufacturer's coupon floating around, which will make the Logitechs pretty close to the same price as the Abits. the coupon appears to only apply if you buy the logitechs at an actual store since it specifically asks for a receipt. if you shop around online, you should find the 640's for about $70 shipped in the US. that is about what they would cost after the coupon if you bought them at a regular store. sound card wise, i would try to get a forissimo II if i were you. however, the Sound Blaster Live is still perfectly good, especially since you aren't going for audiophile performance. the fortissimo II is simply a little better and slightly cheaper. personally, i'm amazed that the Live is still as expensive as it is. considering how many they have sold, $10 seems more in order, but whatever. actually, with how little extra the Fortissimo III is over the Live (a $10 difference), you might as well just get that. my apologies to KidChaos :).

in terms of hooking them up to your tv, i doubt it, unless you have a tuner or amp with minijacks hooked up to you tv/vcr.

p.s. next time post threads in the correct areas. speakers and soundcards are hardly in the "cpu/processors and overclocking" category.

LotharJade

Feb 12, 2003
GIVE ME REVIEWS OH GREAT ANANDTECH.com!!! Could some one get this site to do a compete review of all the top of the line speakers w/ all the bells and whistles for computers availiable? I checked their speaker area for articles and it was WEAK!:frown: I would especially like to see the logitech z-680 reviewed as well as the Altec Lansing 641's. Although I would note that the 641's are powerfull, but with out all the bells and whistles.
What is up with that?:confused: Altec used to be a top brand, and they now have big bad 641's which arent digital, ac-3, 5.1 or anything you would expect for the price, and you have 5100's which have all the bells and whistles but are weak. Could the reviewer look into what is coming down the pipe from Altec and find out if they are going to solve this disappointment?
I would love for ANANDTECH to do reviews of like 10 top speakers (big, powerfull, full options). This is because the normal reviews and articles I see are out of site. Very in depth, usually going like over 10 pages. Unfortunately it seems some of the categories on their link bar very rarelly get reviews like this subject. Motherboards are up to date :D, but the sound stuff is hit and miss :frown:???

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
Originally posted by: EdipisReks

rolleye.gif

Agreed. Unless you get a set of Klipsch ProMedias (which I believe is the best speaker system you can buy) listen to speakers before you buy them. You can tell a lot about speakers by how powerful the amp is. The lower the power rating, the cheaper the speakers, and generally the less frenquency response. If you want cheap speakers, don't waste your money on a nice sound card. The Promedia 5.1's are rated at 500 watts! The ones you are looking at are rated at 45.

Zap

Elite Member
Oct 13, 1999
Not unless he plans on overclocking his speakers
Or run the sound card on an overbussed PCI slot. ;)

My dream setup would be any soundcard with a digital output hooked up to any receiver with a matching digital input (optical or coax, who cares??? same signal, right?) that supports the various surround formats (DTS, Dolby Digital, if I'm feeling really rich the newer 6.1 formats). Speakers would be made by BIC America (center, fronts, rears), and a powered subwoofer.

So far I have the receiver, some cheap KLH shielded bookshelf speakers for fronts only (no center or rear) and a powered JBL subwoofer (amp burnt out of warranty so I'm running it on a Sony car amp hooked up to a 15 amp regulated DC power supply). Pretty good sound for everything but surround sound.

codehack2

Golden Member
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: LotharJade
Should this thread be under Periferals? what should this go under?
That's a good place to start... Posting in the wrong forums ussually incites anger. I'd suggest that you don't bump this thread anymore and repost your question in the right forum.

CH2