Good space games?

AnthroAndStargate

Golden Member
Oct 7, 2005
I just saw Sunshine and me and a friend are in the mood to play some space games. Any good recommendations? They can be semi good or really good - free or pay.. preferably downloadable! What do all ya'll like?

Thanks for any advice in advance!

Rottie

Diamond Member
Feb 10, 2002
how about Star War series? Galactic Civilizations? Master of Orion?

Apr 29, 2007
homeworld is a pretty good rts.
as for FPS, maybe star wars:battlefront, doom 3, or quake 4. the last two are more alien games than space games though.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
-Shooters-

Descent: Freespace 2
Freelancer
X-Wing Alliance
Wing Commander 5 (?) or whatever it ended up being called
Starshatter

-RTS-

Homeworld, Cataclysm, 2
Nexus: The Jupiter Incident (unofficially Imperium Galactica 3)
O.R.B.

-Conquest-
Master of Orion 1 and 2 (NOT 3)
Imperium Galactica 1 and 2
Galactic Civilizations 1 and 2

-New ones I havent played-
Genesis Rising
Universe At War

tuteja1986

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2005
------------------------------------------ Online Space game-----------------------------------------
Freelancer Online is the best god damn online space game ever

Now imagen a Massive Multiplayer Online space game. Now reduce the player count too 128 players and you will have a blast : )

Single player is good too : )

Problem with Freelancer was that single player wasn't much of freelancer as in you couldn't do what you wanted. ;( But online was so much better. I wish the developers would have just dropped the single player and worked on multiplayer aspect but the game has loads of mod.

Get freelancer and go to this server : 24.14.132.166 : )

PM me and we will hook up in planet Manhattan. we can do some mission and do some trading run to earn you some cash so you can buy a better ship. Then we can become rouge and shoot down other players : ) or take on transport freighter that would be loaded with valuable things.

-------------------------------Single player shooter Space game-----------------------------
Freespace 2 = awesome
Wing Commander = awesome
Freelancer = got a great story single player
Independence War 2
-----------------------------------------TBS space game------------------------------------------
Master of Orion 1 and 2
Galactic Civilizations 1 and 2
Star Chamber

-------------------------------------------RTS space game----------------------------------------
Homeworld
Nexus: The Jupiter Incident
O.R.B.
Allegiance

ArchAngel777

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
Oh wow... Wing Commander 3... Incredable! That game was a HOG! I remember playing it on my 486, 50Mhz DX with 8mb of Ram... It literally took 5 minutes to load a mission! It was crazy! But I still played the game and beat it... Must spent a good year on that game. Good good memories... The game was incredable. Wing Commander IV kinda sucked though... I liked 3 and 5 the best.

Anyway, Galactic Civ II is a pretty good game overall... I just wish the graphics were better than that you had a little bit of tactical control over the fights.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Originally posted by: Schadenfroh
Originally posted by: MarcVenice
x3 ?

If you get the X games, get them from steam... otherwise it will infect you with the StarForce malware / rootkit DRM.

Or just buy the 2.0 dvd release that doesn't.

ArchAngel777

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
Originally posted by: lupi
Originally posted by: Schadenfroh
Originally posted by: MarcVenice
x3 ?

If you get the X games, get them from steam... otherwise it will infect you with the StarForce malware / rootkit DRM.

Or just buy the 2.0 dvd release that doesn't.

Yeah, the 2.0 DVD release is only 19.99 at BB and does not include starforce. I have it... :D

imported_Truenofan

Golden Member
May 6, 2005
homeworld/homeworld2 are very nice space RTS's, me and my bro were addicted to the first one, and the second one just improved upon the whole game. eve is very slow if you cant stand waiting for things to happen but i like it.(im talking days and sometimes months to get new skills)

Agentbolt

Diamond Member
Jul 9, 2004
Freespace and Freespace 2. Seriously, that's it. Nothing else even begins to come to close to those two.

Acanthus

Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
ostif.org
Originally posted by: Agentbolt
Freespace and Freespace 2. Seriously, that's it. Nothing else even begins to come to close to those two.

I agree, i wish theyd give us a FS3. The same gameplay with some physics and DX10 graphics would suck me in for a year at least :p