Good SHORT book?

AgaBoogaBoo

Lifer
Feb 16, 2003
Under 200 pages, preferably around 100, but any genre, not really limited there except for avoiding romance

Incase any of you remember, I had a thread on this 4 or 5 days ago, but none of the books appeal to me, I read descriptions for each one too

bunker

Lifer
Apr 23, 2001
I just finished Bringing Down the House : The Inside Story of Six MIT Students Who Took Vegas for Millions.

Pretty quick read and if you like gambling at all, a good read too.

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
Starship Troopers by Heinlein was pretty short I think.

aplefka

Lifer
Feb 29, 2004
The Odyssey, WHD Rouse Translation. Great book, but about 50 pages over the limit I think. Plus, everyone's read The Odyssey.

flxnimprtmscl

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2003
Read Nightmares & Dreamscapes by Steven King. It's a ton of little short stories that are actually quite good. Read them at your leisure. That ought to work for you.

Parrotheader

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 1999
Originally posted by: flxnimprtmscl
Read Nightmares & Dreamscapes by Steven King. It's a ton of little short stories that are actually quite good. Read them at your leisure. That ought to work for you.
Haven't read that particular book, but I'd agree with the idea of a book that's a collection of short stories. I usually try to grab one of those if I'm going on a trip and know I'll have time to read, but not have a LOT of time to get into a long book. My current traveling book is a collection of Edgar Allan Poe stories, the retro Stephen King. :D

aplefka

Lifer
Feb 29, 2004
Oh wait, I know the PERFECT book. Charles Barkley's I May Be Wrong But I Doubt It. It's a very quick read and it's only about 150 pages.

Goosemaster

Lifer
Apr 10, 2001
"l'etrange."

in english , "the stranger" by Almbert Camus

It won the Nobel Prize in literature in '57

Only about 120Pages.

I have read it in both french and ENglish, and loved it.

allisolm

Elite Member
Administrator
Jan 2, 2001
The Old Man and the Sea by Hemingway. Around 100 pages.

Jonathan Livingston Seagull by Richard Bach. Around 100 pages.

phatj

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2003
DEFINITELY Read Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut. It is only ~175 pgs, but trust me, you'll read it faster than if it was a 100 pg book. It's about "bokonism", "ice-nine", and San Lorenzo, all of which you will find to be very interesting once you begin reading the book. edit: the story also includes a midget and a Russian ballerina.

MithShrike

Diamond Member
May 5, 2002
Just about any Heinlein book except the original version of Stranger in a Strange Land will be a small read. Personally, I liked Starship Troopers best but Citizen of the Galaxy is good as is most of the things he wrote. In concern to Mars. yes the science is incorrect but at the time the books were conceived, the canal theory was dominant.

MithShrike

Diamond Member
May 5, 2002
OH! If you do read Starship Troopers and you've seen the movie, then you know that the director done FUBAR it.

minendo

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2001
Animal Farm - George Orwell
Night - Elie Wiesel<---Highly recommended if you have not read it.

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
Originally posted by: Mith
OH! If you do read Starship Troopers and you've seen the movie, then you know that the director done FUBAR it.

The movie was pretty good. It just lacked most of the depth and thoughtfulness of the book... (I know, it sounds like a contradiction, but it's not. It's simply that the movie was only loosely based on the book.)