Good RTS with good city building aspect

TehMac

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2006
You're in the same predicament as I am mate, and truth be told, no such thing exists. The closest thing I can advise is the Total War series, because, while Base building isn't involved, you are able to construct buildings, but more in a civ like format, you can't zoom in and place buildings. I'd recommend Rome Total War most for this because Rome TW lets you zoom in on your cities, and while you can't build anything, you can check the city out, but there's no real customization.

City builders treat combat with very little respect, which is such a damned shame. I'm waiting for the day when they do, but right now, Zeus, which is a...5 year old game, but with decent graphics, lets you send armies a broad and conquer cities, but doesn't actually let you command the troops when they're away conquering.

The only thing I can truly recommend with some assurance is Rome Total War. :(

I know, I'm waiting for it too man, I'm waiting for it too.

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
Modern? I cannot think of any off the top of my head. If you are willing to deal with poor graphics, you might consider picking up Caesar II.

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
Not sure how much combat you want or do you just want a city sim ?

I like stronghold. Crusader I think was the best of the series, it is an old game but its fun building up your castle and then defending it while take down the enemies castles.

http://www.fireflyworlds.com/shc_index.php

The last version, stronghold 2 added legendary figures like dragons and to me it wasn't true to the series.

If you want a city/economic type sim then I highly recommend Tropico or pharaoh.
Both may be old but they are very fun and challenging.

http://www.poptop.com/Tropico.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pharaoh_(computer_game)

TehMac

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2006
Pharaoh...that game is one of the games that doesn't have much combat in it. Brilliant game, but it's too dated.

OH! Op, you should try Children of the Nile

Stronghold 1&2 are both great. Stronghold Crusader I am told is magnificent.

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
Black and white 2 might suit your needs. Ive never played and dont own it but based on what apoppin thinks it sounds decent. He can tell you more.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
Originally posted by: Soviet
Black and white 2 might suit your needs. Ive never played and dont own it but based on what apoppin thinks it sounds decent. He can tell you more.

That's actually what came to my mind. It's definitely not exactly what he's looking for, but it might be close.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: TheVrolok
Originally posted by: Soviet

That's actually what came to my mind. It's definitely not exactly what he's looking for, but it might be close.

Actually, without the creaturepart, that is really close to what i'm looking for, if not spot on.
problem is, i've played it to death already.

there doesn't have to be a whole lot of combat, just something to break up the city building monotony. Really, I liked playing sim city with cheats to get tons of money and then just going around building my city. i think thats the most fun. I don't really care for the economic aspect of it too much.

I read a review of Sim City Societies and that might be pretty decent for what I want, minus the combat though. I heard it doesn't really focus on the economic parts too much and its really easy. i think they even said it would be good for someone who just wants to build cities. Is there a demo for it? I did a search but none of the links I followed had a demo.

I also really liked RTSes where you could build up huge bases and in a way, thats sort of city building like, lol. Although, most RTSes these days seem to focus on the battles and there is little base building.

anyone play the The Settlers games? That sounds pretty close to what I'm looking for. I see the newest one, Rise of an Empire, I think, got pretty decent reviews.
Whoa!! the intro video on the official site for the game has me in awe! that looks awesome and pretty much what i'm looking for! no demo though, but I may just buy it!

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
Settlers rise of an empire is good , but I found it boring once you have your city set up.
There really isn't too much to do at that point, the game can actually play itself :(

sourceninja

Diamond Member
Mar 8, 2005
I'm getting into Sins of a Solar empire, very good game with a nice mix of empire building and rts

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
I used to like building massive bases on RTS games too, sort of like a sim base thing. I did this on C&C1, RA1, TS, Earth 2150 (awesome for base building), Starcraft (need custom map skills but best for base building). I also played settlers but only to settlers III which was fun for base building but mines run out and trees eventually stop growing to maturity (bug i guess) and my city just halts. Anyways i still have all these huge bases in a folder so i go back to them and mess around from time to time. Earth 2150 was decent because the base could come ready built from the map editor, the AI's construction truck could be kept behind a wall, letting it out would start the action. Starcraft has custom triggers that trigger a massive attack on my base, amongst other stuff, theres turrets that can be activated/deactivated, doors, a sort of invisible firestorm wall, and two AI's on the map who present a constant threat but they attack eachother mostly rather than me which is fine.

Recent RTS games dont seem to use grid based structure placement which kinda buggers things up for my perfect bases, i tried to make a huge base in c&c generals and it just sucked, went back to my TS base to breed viceroids instead. So starcraft II might be fun if the map editor is similar to starcraft's one, or maybe earth 2150 if you havent tried that.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: psihog
Originally posted by: TehMac
Also, Anno 1701:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anno_1701

I like this one too. City building is similar to Civ in real time. You can build schools, universities, city square, church, hospital, theaters for the citizens, etc.. It isn't like CC and starcraft where you only build military bases.

is there a demo for it? the name sounds familiar and i thought I did try a demo but for some reason didn't like it. maybe i'm thinking of another game though.

TehMac

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2006
Originally posted by: Dacalo
I am surprised no one has mentioned Rise of Nations.

Well...you do build cities and there's loads of combat...well yeah. That def works. :D

TehMac

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2006
I'd also recommend Cossacks; I have played that game, and the maps are pretty big and there's lots of base building.

There's also American Conquest, which, isn't the best, it certainly isn't as...realistic, or graphically inspiring as AoE, it uses the Cossack Engine, but it was critically acclaimed. I always wanted it. Never got to play it. But Cossacks was cool, if moderately disappointing at times in the campaign, but that can't be helped, an expack was also released for it. I can't say any more really, but wikipedia helps.

If you're into the Civil War, a standalone expack was released for American Conquest, and it ads more civs into the original game.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A...nquest:_Divided_Nation

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: Dacalo
I am surprised no one has mentioned Rise of Nations.

Well...you do build cities and there's loads of combat...well yeah. That def works. :D

I think I have that, unless i'm thinking of something else. when I say city building, i mean like simcity style city building, where i can actually place buildings, roads, etc. i don't remember doing that in Rise of Nations.

I picked up The Settlers: Rise of an Empire and started playing last night. I love it! I'm only on maybe the 3rd mission of the campaign but it's pretty cool. I'm kind of confused about a few things and the manual doesn't explain them, so I guess I'll have to hit up their forums.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Pharaoh...that game is one of the games that doesn't have much combat in it. Brilliant game, but it's too dated.

OH! Op, you should try Children of the Nile

Stronghold 1&2 are both great. Stronghold Crusader I am told is magnificent.

ugh, Stronghold 2 was an abomination. Horrid, just horrid.

onlyCOpunk

Platinum Member
May 25, 2003
I'd say Black and White 2. Lots of city building, and you can either choose to fit, or use other strategies to conquer your neighbour's land.

imported_Imp

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2005
I think it was Settlers or something that use to have a huge city/town building aspect, along with regular RTS fighting. However, the micromanaging was crazy in that you had to feed your army. Great game, but tedious.

Good city building and combat are what I usually look for too. Pretty hard to find. It's usually one or the other. Rise of Nations is a pretty good balance.

Czar

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Age of empires... they had walls and towers, enough for me :)

and if you want to build bases and fortifications then total ahnihilation and supreme commander are awsome

TehMac

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2006
Originally posted by: CPAugh, Stronghold 2 was an abomination. Horrid, just horrid.

Really? I remember reading PC Gamer's review which said it was better. Stronghold 1: 82% Stronghold 2: 84%
Originally posted by: Czar
Age of empires... they had walls and towers, enough for me :)

Best poast in the ATPCG Forums evar.