Good RTS/RPG style games

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
After replaying GTA: San Andreas through Steam and deciding that playing Bioshock in 10 minute bursts because it sends unwelcome shivers down my spine and makes me feel occaisionally nauseous... I have decided what type of game I wish to play.

I hope some of you remember the Side Campaign on Warcraft 3 The Frozen Throne involving Thrall, half Orc, half Ogre?. An extremely fun and wellmade RTS RPG game which was a little too easy even on hard.

It was a little lacking in story but I enjoyed every moment of it and it encorporated most of the Heroes quite well, integrating bonuses and items in a very simple form.

Is there any game like this out on the market? I was sorely disappointed that I havent seen anything similar.

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
Originally posted by: jjones
Have you tried Warhammer 40,000?

I have completed Dawn of War, Winter Assault and Dark Crusade, neither of which are RTS/RPG's. I will also be purchasing Soulstorm when it is released.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Originally posted by: Elcs
Originally posted by: jjones
Have you tried Warhammer 40,000?

I have completed Dawn of War, Winter Assault and Dark Crusade, neither of which are RTS/RPG's. I will also be purchasing Soulstorm when it is released.
So what are they, sports games?

EDIT:
Also, I played Frozen Throne but honestly dont recall the Side Campaign. Perhaps the Warlords: Battlecry series is what you want.

I think they are much better than the Warcraft games. The RPG elements arent too serious. You can build up your hero with strength, agility and intelligence, you can give them new skills and spells.
If you lose them the game is over though, its sort of annoying sometimes.

Battlecry 2 is probably my favorite, easy to get into, difficult to master, lots of fun.

Jschmuck2

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2005
I know this skews a little more toward the RPG side (alright, a LOT more) but for my money you can't beat Fallout 2.

Piuc2020

Golden Member
Nov 4, 2005
No company makes RTS like Blizzard, that style of RTS is dead already (well for everyone who is not Blizzard), all developers are interested in doing is games like Company of Heroes and World in Conflict, you'll be hard pressed to find an RTS remotely similar to Warcraft or Starcraft in the market, a shame really, CNC3 is bit of a comeback to the RTS games of old but it doesn't have RPG elements.

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
The additional quest in WC3 TFT was introduced after a patch I believe. It was a straightforward looking RTS game in which you used Heroes to complete on map main storyline quests and extra side quests. You had the same Kill, Level up, Skill increase, pick up items etc as an RPG and you also gained additional Heroes as the storyline progressed. The entire quest spanned several maps, you encountered a lot of different monsters and areas, fighting off against enemy heroes. The only game I can remember playing which was similar to it and probably much less well known is Rage of Mages.

Aside from WH40k Dark Crusades reward system, giving your Hero some bonus equipment gained through rewards and some rather odd super units, it is lacking in RPG elements.

Fallout 2 is great. I managed to complete it just before Christmas which unfortunately removes it from the list.

This is a nice start. I will look into Warlords: Battlecry.

Piuc2020 - I personally feel that the RTS games released by Relic (Homeworld, Warhammer 40k) are superior to those of Blizzard (Starcraft, Warcraft) however that Warcraft 3 Campaign I have outlined really pulled me in and Im dying to play something like it.

Wikipedia link to the Campaign I am talking about. This will be able to explain it better than I can.

ColtMaverick

Oct 11, 2007
Spellforce 1 & 2 are what you are looking for. I've only played #2 and it has a deep skill tree along with the rts elements. The maps tend to have several Dungeon siege places where you just command your group of heroes, then it converts to rts style with additional units and buildings to command later in the map.

http://spellforce.jowood.de/sf2/?lang=en&rid=1424

I played the addon campaign to WC3 TFT and in my opinion it was more rpg with very light rts elements considering most of the time you had allies, it was on a map based off of DOTA style features, i.e. where both sides just sent hordes of men down lanes and you fought only with your heroes and some basic recruits.

Another unique take on rts games was Rise & Fall: Civilizations at War. It was FPS/RTS, where your hero would go 1st person and hack and slash through armies along with your troops. I really didn't like the game because it was too arcadey and the single player campaigns were horribly cheesy.