Good Read>>Volunteer army is "closer to being broken today than ever before in its 30-year history."

dahunan

Lifer
Jan 10, 2002
Full Story at URL
http://www.csmonitor.com/2004/0109/dailyUpdate.html?s=entt

US military stretched too thin?

Volunteer army is "closer to being broken today than ever before in its 30-year history."

By Tom Regan | csmonitor.com

The Sydney Morning Herald reports that Pentagon experts worry that some of the military's most experienced pilots might quit after prolonged deployments to dangerous hot spots like Afghanistan and Iraq. At least 14 US helicopters have crashed in Iraq since President Bush declared major combat over last May, claiming some 58 lives and underscoring the vulnerability of an essential cog in US military operations there. Retention of pilots is a major concern because of the time, and the cost, of training them. Analysts say the situation with pilots is just one more example that the US military is stretched too thin.
"There is no question that the force is stretched too thin," said David Segal, director of the Center for Research on Military Organization at the University of Maryland. "We have stopped treating the reserves as a force in reserve. Our volunteer army is closer to being broken today than ever before in its 30-year history."

The Denver Post notes that while sign-up and retention rates for active-duty branches remain strong, the recruiting of reservists has fallen off. Last year the Army fell 7 percent below its recruitment goal. And in some states, the retention rate has fallen far below the desired 85 percent - In Colorado it has fallen to 71 percent.

"This year we have lost 49 soldiers, and that is bad news," said Master Sgt. Pat Valdez, a spokesman for the 2nd Brigade of the 91st Division of the Army Reserve, which comprises some 800 soldiers from Western Plains states. "They are getting out because of personal reasons, promotions at work ... and stress on family."

One result of this situation, The Washington Post reported earlier this week, is that the Army alone has blocked the departure of more than 40,000 soldiers, about 16,000 of them National Guard and Reserve members who were eligible to leave the service this year. Reuters quotes the Pentagon as saying that 187,746 National Guard and Reserve troops were mobilized as of Dec. 31, 2003. About 20 percent of the troops in Iraq are Reservists or Guard members but this proportion is expected to double next year. The Associated Press notes the number of military reservists called to active duty jumped by more than 10,000 in the past week, reflecting their new role in Iraq.

In order to accomodate the massive changeover between departing and arriving troops the next two months in Iraq, the Army this week issued a "stop loss" order to keep 7,000 soldiers in Afghanistan, Kuwait and Iraq from leaving the service at the end of their regular enlistments. But some defense analysts say stop-loss orders will discourage new recruits, bound to see many in uniform as no longer volunteers. "The reality is the stop-loss orders that are now in effect amount to a de facto draft," Charles Pena, defense analyst with the Cato Institute, said.

The Albany Times Union reports that the military may soon start calling up retired reservists. There are 800,000 Reserve retirees. The Pentagon is asking them to provide updated address and contact information.

But repeated deployments can keep reservists away from home for years. And this has raised concerns in the Pentagon that they will leave the military as soon as possible.

"A lot of them are telling me 'When I get back, I'm not staying in. I'm getting completely out,' " said Sgt. Phillip Thomas, who oversees about 300 reservists as recruitment and retention officer at Bradt US Army Reserve Center in Niskayuna. He said they don't mind active duty for six months, but any longer becomes a burden for those who have families and careers back home. Some worry their marriages won't survive repeated deployments, he said.

burnedout

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
Originally posted by: dahunan

The Albany Times Union reports that the military may soon start calling up retired reservists. There are 800,000 Reserve retirees. The Pentagon is asking them to provide updated address and contact information.
Hopefully, the military won't begin calling up retired active duty. That would just totally suck.

tnitsuj

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
Originally posted by: burnedout

Hopefully, the military won't begin calling up retired active duty. That would just totally suck.

I see that as highly unlikely.

However, over the next few months the equivalent of 8 1/2 divisions is going to be moving back and forth between Iraq, Afghanistan, and Kuwait. This is bound to put a strain on an already stretched military.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Originally posted by: burnedout

Got pulled back twice; '81 (Ozrak), and '91 (GW-1). - Not even retired either.

Guess it is time to let AF MPC know where I am. - skills no longer useful though :eek:

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
rolleye.gif

Define "broken". No one in the world would want to roll with them. There's a semi-unpopular war and extended deployments going on...this is not out of the ordinary when the crap starts hitting the fan. Some just want GIBill and get out...some have a noble commitment and stay.

maluckey

Platinum Member
Jan 31, 2003
I agree. The die hard soldiers will stay, and the rest will go. It's always been the way it works.

Our services are so broken that they are still the ONLY Superpower...........Think about it. If that's broken, I'd still like to see "fixed".