Good quality DVD-ROM read-only drive?

EvilRage

Dec 20, 2004
I've read a bunch of posts on DVD writing and burning and all that, and decided to go with the NEC. However, I am one of the types that prefer 2 optical drives, since I make lots of backups of the music CDs I own (1 copy for in the car, that STAYS in the car, 1 copy for playing on comp, maybe 1 copy for taking to other ppls homes, etc). I plan on making backup copies of my DVDs once the media is more affordable, so I'd like to know what kind of DVD-ROM would be best for that. I hear the NEC isn't the best for ripping/reading, so what is?

Cerb

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2000
For CD reading, Lite-On or Plextor Premium.
Check CDFreaks for reviews and tests.

EvilRage

Dec 20, 2004
Originally posted by: rocketman14
aopen 1648/aap is the best dvd-rom. look here for more info: http://club.cdfreaks.com/showt...0&page=1&pp=25

Any idea on where I can find either the regular AAP, or the PRO version of this drive? It was out of stock on newegg before totally disappearing from their website, and the regular AAP version is out of stock everywhere else I look. Haven't even seen the AAP PRO in stock anywhere, but supposedly it's a little better.

Baked

Lifer
Dec 28, 2004
AOpen 1648 Pro is Euro only. You can get the AAP version from newegg. But it's been out of stock for month. Personally, I think people have hyped this drive way out of proportion. I had doubts about getting the Toshiba/Samsung 1912 DVD-ROM. But after using it for a couple weeks, it's surprised the hell out of me. It doesn't have riplock like the Asus, region free firmware is available, and it's super quiet.

Baked

Lifer
Dec 28, 2004
Toshiba SDM1912-TA and Samsung TS-H352A is the same drive w/ different name brand in the front. Newegg doesn't have the black toshiba, but does have the black samsung. Some info at The Firmware Page.

PS. This drive doesn't cache in EAC. Asus and Lite-On do.