Good Portable Headset for Digital Audio Class and Gaming On The Side

Davidh373

Platinum Member
Jun 20, 2009
Hi there all. I'm going to be going into a digital audio class this coming fall and am looking for a quality portable headset for ~$80. Sound quality is important over the mic quality, but I would like to kill 2 birds with one stone by getting a headset I can use for gaming as well.
I already have the Turtle Beach X11, but as some of you know, 8 ft. of tangled cable isn't very portable, or even easily handled for storage. So I would like to have something portable that is of similar quality to the X11. I would prefer something with a detachable mic

Kinda like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-043-_-Product

Can this be done? Thanks .

Mar 11, 2004
I think the best thing would be to buy a solid headphone and then a separate mic. This has come up quite a bit, and I believe there were a few popular cheap options for the mics. You might check on Head-Fi, as I know its come up there a lot as well and I believe there were some guides on easy/cheap/good ways of basically clipping the mic onto the headphone. Hardforum might also be a good resource.

Davidh373

Platinum Member
Jun 20, 2009
Thanks. That is what that is. Sorry for taking so long. I'll take a look at the other forums.

vbuggy

Golden Member
Nov 13, 2005
I think everyone thinks like that, makes assumptions and does it without actually ever buying a headset. So like many things on head-fi, the falsehood propagates further.

I also bought a clip-on mic. The difference with me is, I also ended up buying a decent headset(s).

Now I don't use headphones on a computer unless I'm actually settling down to listening to music (in which case I'll fish out the 'good' phones). It's either the PC350, G35 or the MMX 300 - and I would choose those (the PC350 is debatable - I think it's actually a weak package) over a headphone of equivalent price for general computer use any day, instead of fiddling with a Zalman.

I haven't had anything you could call actively portable (although the Beyerdynamic MMX 2 - a pretty decent headset and basically a USB/analog DT 231 with a good mic - is stuffable into a bag) though.

Last edited:

Davidh373

Platinum Member
Jun 20, 2009
I guess I didn't mention that my school doesn't have speakers on their workstations, so I actually NEED a set of headphones. I ended up picking out some $70 Sennheiser Circumaurals. I'll either buy a clip on mic later or just use my Turtle Beach when I need to chat. It works well enough.