good places to eat in norman, oklahoma...

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Semidevil, Feb 24, 2005.

1. Semidevil

Semidevil Diamond Member

so everyone always asks where is the best place to eat in places, so I will try my state. perferably in norman....

2. amol

amol Lifer

parody?

3. Semidevil

Semidevil Diamond Member

no....I really want to know where a good place to eat is at...

4. Goosemaster

Goosemaster Lifer

Sadly, MoDonalds takes that prize suga....

5. Zim Hosein

Zim Hosein Super Moderator<br>Elite Member
    Super Moderator

Norman, OK 74857 :Q

6. Nitemare

Nitemare Lifer

yup

7. Don Vito Corleone

I lived there for more than two years and would have a hard time making many recommendations. I remember a pretty good Thai place, but have no idea about the name. Give my best to all my insane ex-GFs if you run into them when you're out on the town!

8. Crusty

Crusty Lifer

Norman SUCKS

That is all

9. Don Vito Corleone

In all fairness, based on my experience, it's a great place if you're looking to have your car vandalized or stolen, or to get caught up in the largest tornado in history.

10. Crusty

Crusty Lifer

I once pissed on a corner of a street in Norman at 2am, I was on the way from Denver to Houston, and Norman happened to be on the way, it felt really nice.

11. Gilby

Gilby Senior member

Pffft. Don't listen to them.

Great BBQ at Vans Pig Stand on Porter. (The sunday-only chicken is excellent.) Coach's is good for BBQ but overpriced--they do make good beer. Number of other BBQ places, but I've not tried them.

Mexican at Taramaharas (sp?) on Porter or Border Crossing on Main. (Border Crossing, not On the Border.) Los Dos Amigos (on Alemeda) is good too, but not the best looking place. Cheaper, though. Avoid Tony Marbell's Cantina. Ugh. Others tend to fall in between.

Chinese...a few good places, nowhere great. Best off with menu at Orient Express on campus corner or the buffet at Panda Garden or Hunan. Avoid Taste of China. There are better chinese places in the City.

Chicken Fried Steak at either Kendalls on Berry or O'Connells on Lindsey near campus (but only on certain days.) Kendalls is also known for catfish and "home cooking."

Italian is kinda sad. Marco's on Flood was decent as is Victoria's and Othello's on campus corner--but none were really special. Avoid Patsys on Lindsey.

Sandwiches at many places, but City Bites and Penny Hill are the best for subs. Penny Hill has an awesome ruben.

Pizza's very good at Hideaway on campus corner. Decent pizza at Coachs. No real chicago pizza in Norman, though Sopha Bella's in the city is the equal of any chicago place.

Lots of good burger places. O'Connells, Boomerang, Red Horse Grill, J Pats. Others, as well--though The Vista downtown was disappointing and overpriced. Heck, if you want a fast food burger skip McDs and the like and do Braums.

Indian at Misals and Taste of India. Both quite good.

Thai...there's a place near campus that's OK, but nothing special. On Jenkins. Thai Kumkoon. Jana's by the cheap theater has Thai and Italian, doing neither with great skill.

Really good gyros and other basic Greek food at The Greek house on Boyd and Jenkins and the Athena Cafe about a block down on Boyd. I was pleasantly suprised by these places, coming from chicago suburbs and lots of good greek places.

Coffee and pastries and the like at La Baguette. Their cakes are incredible, but pricey.

If you're willing to leave Norman a bit, Royal Bavaria is about 5 miles north on Sooner (12th) and has awesome German cuisine as well as their own beers.

Avoid the chains on restaurant row and go to the small places and you'll find good stuff, for the most part.

If you wanna know about anywhere lin more detail, or anywhere I didn't mention, let me know and I'll tell you what I know. I can also recommend a few good places in the city.

12. Aquaman

Aquaman Lifer

If that is anywhere near Gans Ok............ find Bryant "Big Country" Reeves and kick him in the nuts:|

Cheers,
    Aquaman <<<<<<<<< Former Vancouver Grizzlies Fan :p

13. Gilby

Gilby Senior member

No idea. To be honest, I try to avoid most of the rest of Oklahoma.