Good place to check credit history on other people?

TripleAAA

Golden Member
Jul 7, 2002
In the next couple of months, the home that I purchased will be completed and I plan on renting some of the rooms out. I'm trying to find a good, easy, and relatively inexpensive place online or otherwise to check into a possible renter's credit history.

Anyone got some recommendations?

techfuzz

Diamond Member
Feb 11, 2001
I believe you'll have to contact one of the big 3 credit reporting companies.. Equifax, Transunion, Experion and setup an account with them... you'll also probably have to get a license or pay some kind of fee per transaction as well as sign a bunch of legal paperwork because you're gonna be dealing with people's financial records. This kind of stuff is very guarded these days due to the rampant ID theft happening to people.

techfuzz

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
There are numerous credit reporting agencies and background checking companies. You will want to find one in your area to use. You could call a property management firm or real estate agency to have one referred to you.

TripleAAA

Golden Member
Jul 7, 2002
Thanks everyone. I've heard of local companies that can do this for you. They supposedly charge anywhere from $20-40 per person to do this and I was thinking that assuming everything else checked out ok from the renter, I would do this as a final check.

techfuzz

Diamond Member
Feb 11, 2001
Don't forget, if you intend on renting to younger people, they may not have a thorough credit history like you'd like. ;)

techfuzz

Doggiedog

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
For what its worth, most of the places I've rented from ran a credit check at my expense not theirs.

TripleAAA

Golden Member
Jul 7, 2002
Originally posted by: Doggiedog
For what its worth, most of the places I've rented from ran a credit check at my expense not theirs.

Yeah, this is actually what I plan on doing. Assuming everything else checks out ok from the possible renter, I will charge the fee of the credit check. It can be looked at as an application fee in a sense.