Good place for sample resumes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobdole369

Diamond Member
Dec 15, 2004
As someone who has hired people before - (and actually gets to do it again just after the new year) - Stop that.

I chuck anybodies resume who looks like they used a sample, and modified it - or those who just took the template out of word 2007, 2003, xp, 2000, whatever. You get to realize exactly what they look like fairly quickly.

Lazy people who copy don't get hired.

You'll really want to do it yourself.

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
As someone who has hired people before - (and actually gets to do it again just after the new year) - Stop that.

I chuck anybodies resume who looks like they used a sample, and modified it - or those who just took the template out of word 2007, 2003, xp, 2000, whatever. You get to realize exactly what they look like fairly quickly.

I think you need to realize that presentation is only PART of what the resume represents. If you really don't care about experience and training, you deserve the people you hire.

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001

I'm going to make mine stand out. I am going to ultimately put this thing together in InDesign and really refine it. What I need to know is basically what to put in there. I know about education, references, skills, and your general contact info, but what else? Goals and objectives (short and long term)? Other stuff?

ahurtt

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2001

You want to hire people who reinvent the wheel for no reason every time they are faced with a problem to solve rather than reusing/leveraging existing assets? Sounds like a monument to inefficiency to me.

bobdole369

Diamond Member
Dec 15, 2004
I also tip based solely on drink service.

I'll defend removing from consideration obvious template based resumes. It sure does cut down on the number of resumes I actually have to parse. Since part of the work we do here is creative - it sort of goes hand in hand. Of course if good looking resumes all fail - I have a big pile of stuff to go through, but those people lazy about the resume are often the same way about the work.

My point was that there must be others out there like me, so folks really need to do something with the actual format of the resume. We have maybe a minute to look at it.

You want to bring everything into the first page.

Skills, We are looking for concrete examples:

Bad: "Experienced using XBR4500 Bulldozer"
Good: "Handled excavation of Peerless Tower #2 in 1994 using XBR4500 bulldozer"

Education should list your academic institution, degree, year of graduation, and any concrete accomplishments and awards.

Work Experience should list several actual accomplishments, or scenarios in which you stepped outside your realm of responsibility. Name-drop here.

Bad: "Worked in the IT Department and handled client issues"
Good: "Completed client-side network driver upgrade in record time. Implemented remote management tool (Landesk) which saved hundreds of man-hours"

You want to hire people who reinvent the wheel for no reason every time they are faced with a problem to solve rather than reusing/leveraging existing assets?

When it comes to a resume - Absolutely. It's a brief fleeting glimpse of what that employee has to offer. In my company we don't hire cookies. (i.e. those cut with the cookie cutter)

brandonbull

Diamond Member
May 3, 2005
You want to hire people who reinvent the wheel for no reason every time they are faced with a problem to solve rather than reusing/leveraging existing assets? Sounds like a monument to inefficiency to me.

No updating 50 slide PP docs for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.