Good phone from TMobile

CU

Platinum Member
Aug 14, 2000
Looking to switch from Verizon to TMobile. I will be moving over a Oneplus 6T, Moto Z3, Moto G7 Power, Moto Z4, and one iPhone 6S. So, most don't seem to be worth anything to trade in. I was looking at the Essentials plan as I don't see anyone needing more than 50GB per month. We share I think 16GB now. But, the demand for more is very high, which is the reason for the switch. How bad is the slow down once you pass your premium data anyway? Can you stream youtube after you hit your premium data? For phones I was looking to just get the free ones they offer assuming they are not slower than what we have or have worse cameras. How is the Galaxy A32 5G compared to the phones we have? The Moto Z4 owner would really like a better camera. And everyone else is happy with the way their phones perform. Also battery life is very import as they get used a lot by our kids and battery packs seem to go every where with us to keep them charged. It seems most benchmarks I find for phones are for the highend ones, and when I find a mid to low end phone review I cannot find a good way to compare it to older phones. So, I am having a hard time comparing what I have vs what I can get.

You can ignore the iphone as that person will either move it over or just buy the cheapest iphone TMobile offers.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
Looking to switch from Verizon to TMobile. I will be moving over a Oneplus 6T, Moto Z3, Moto G7 Power, Moto Z4, and one iPhone 6S. So, most don't seem to be worth anything to trade in. I was looking at the Essentials plan as I don't see anyone needing more than 50GB per month. We share I think 16GB now. But, the demand for more is very high, which is the reason for the switch. How bad is the slow down once you pass your premium data anyway? Can you stream youtube after you hit your premium data? For phones I was looking to just get the free ones they offer assuming they are not slower than what we have or have worse cameras. How is the Galaxy A32 5G compared to the phones we have? The Moto Z4 owner would really like a better camera. And everyone else is happy with the way their phones perform. Also battery life is very import as they get used a lot by our kids and battery packs seem to go every where with us to keep them charged. It seems most benchmarks I find for phones are for the highend ones, and when I find a mid to low end phone review I cannot find a good way to compare it to older phones. So, I am having a hard time comparing what I have vs what I can get.

You can ignore the iphone as that person will either move it over or just buy the cheapest iphone TMobile offers.

You should likely be alright if you exceed 50GB, as the Essentials plan already caps you at 480p for video streaming.

The A32 5G has received some good reviews, including for its battery life, although it does have a relatively low-res display. The cameras should be alright but probably won't represent huge strides forward from some of those phones... it's a budget phone, and you should set your expectations accordingly.

On the iPhone front: I'd get at least an iPhone 12 (preferably the 'full' one rather than the mini) for the sake of 5G and general futureproofing.

CU

Platinum Member
Aug 14, 2000
I saw the streaming cap. How exactly does it cap you at 480p streaming? Isn't it all just data coming to your phone.

Looks like my Oneplus 6T with its Octa-core (4x2.8 GHz Kryo 385 Gold & 4x1.7 GHz Kryo 385 Silver) and Adreno 630 is the fastest Android phone we have. And based on the free phones at TMobile it may be faster than them also. All the free ones come with Adreno 619 not sure how much slower that is than the 630 though. But, as no one plays any intense games I don't think it matters. As for the CPU I think the fastest free phone comes with a Octa-core (2x2.2 GHz Kryo 570 & 6x1.8 GHz Kryo 570), which is in the Motorola One 5G Ace The A32 5G comes with Octa-core (2x2.0 GHz Cortex-A76 & 6x2.0 GHz Cortex-A55) But, I don't know how my Kryo 385's, Kryo 570's, and the Cortex cores compare.

As for cameras, what specs should I look for when I look at them on gsmarena to determine what is better? These are the specs for my OnePlus 6T 16 MP, f/1.7, 25mm (wide), 1/2.6", 1.22µm, PDAF, OIS vs the A32 48 MP, f/1.8, 26mm (wide), 1/2.0", 0.8µm, PDAF. Or, do the specs just not tell you everything?

CU

Platinum Member
Aug 14, 2000
I did some reading on their free phones, and it looks like the Moto One 5G Ace may be the one to get if I stay with the essentials plan. Although I am strongly thinking about going with the Magenta Max plan. That opens up the Oneplus 9 and Samsung S20 FE for free. And the Oneplus 9 Pro for $150. Between the 9 and S20 FE which has the better camera? Is the camera on the 9 Pro worth $150 over the two other free phones?