Good PCI-e sound card for 2.1 and headphones?

Discussion in 'Peripherals' started by BlueWeasel, Nov 2, 2012.

1. BlueWeasel

BlueWeasel Lifer

I've got an Asrock Extreme4 Gen3 P67 and haven't really been pleased with the onboard Realtek audio. I've got a Logitech 2.1 speaker setup and also use basic Sennheiser HD 201 headphones. Pretty basic/simple audio hardware and I'm obviously not an audiophile. ;)

I've seen really good reviews for the Asus Xonar series of cards and was leaning toward getting the Xonar DGX.

Due to an issue with my front audio panel, would it be possible to split the rear audio out between speakers and headphones without losing quality? I'm not sure if the DGX card has a headphone amp built-in, but if it does, would that help?

2. sygyzy

sygyzy Lifer

You want to play audio through your 2.1 speakers and headphones simultaneously?

3. BlueWeasel

BlueWeasel Lifer

After doing some research, I've already changed my mind. Several reviews state that the front header does have a headphone amp. I was thinking it did not and only the rear output did.

Besides, I want to take advantage of some of the headphone features (Dolby etc.) and plugging them both into the back would't allow that I think.