Good PC shops in Toronto/GTA

TidusZ

Golden Member
Nov 13, 2007
I am helping a friend from Toronto build a pc in the $1000-1500 range, they are not willing to order it online so I'm limited to local pc stores in Toronto. Does anyone know which place would be good for buying all the components and having it built at?

I know a bit about Canadacomputers as there is one where I'm located and it seems to be pretty decent, but if there's something better I'd like to know about it.

mmntech

Lifer
Sep 20, 2007
I am helping a friend from Toronto build a pc in the $1000-1500 range, they are not willing to order it online so I'm limited to local pc stores in Toronto. Does anyone know which place would be good for buying all the components and having it built at?

I know a bit about Canadacomputers as there is one where I'm located and it seems to be pretty decent, but if there's something better I'd like to know about it.

I've had a love/hate relationship with Canada Computers over the years. Especially the Mississauga location that tried to stiff me on a damaged monitor about three years ago. They're under new management though. Just bought my 5770 there about a week ago. For a Newegg type store, you can't rival their selection of higher end parts.

The only other place is Tiger Direct. The Toronto store is just across from Sherway Gardens. I find they can be expensive though and tend not to have the best parts in stock. The Mississauga location was a mess the last time I was there. They also have locations in Markham, Vaughn, and Burlington. They're smaller stores. Tiger caters more to everyday users I think, not higher end system builders.

That's pretty much it. There's a lot of smaller stores around but they lack the selection. I'll plug Crave Systems in Milton though for custom builds. It's owned by my friend's husband. I go there a lot if I need small parts that I don't want to run into the city for.

Online, check into NCIX and Direct Canada. Both owned by the same people AFAIK, both out of Vancouver. I buy all my system builds there since they offer free shipping on orders over $300 and don't charge PST for orders outside of BC. NCIX is like Newegg while Direct Canada is more of a surplus store. Initial prices are a little higher but it works out cheaper with the benefits I mentioned factored in. Better hurry because I'm sure the Dalton Sales Tax is going to cancel at least one of them out.

mmntech

Lifer
Sep 20, 2007
Best buy or Future buy..

They have wide range collection....

You're kidding right? Best Buy and Futureshop don't carry motherboards and CPUs at all. Their graphics cards are extremely overpriced. I mean they're advertising a vanilla HD 4670 with stock cooler for $170. I paid that for my 5770.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Well you could just order parts in the USA for pickup and change your money over to US$ and drive to New York and pick them up. I am thinking somewhere around New York City they must have some kind of nice place to buy computer parts. I am surprised they dont have some kind of USA Shopping junkets. When I was in Korea people use to fly to Japan and buy stuff in the duty free shops. Dont know what Customs would tell you.