Good overclocker?

xcript

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2003
Hello folks.

I picked up an XP1800+ tbred-b some weeks ago, and I was just wondering if it's a decent overclocker.

I've had it running at 1.69 GHz (11.5x147) since I got it, but didn't go further because (as I'm sure you're all aware) the K7S5A is a fscking piece (unless it's for your grandmother).

Should be picking up an Epox 8RDA+ within the next few days though, so I'll be having some fun with that.

The stepping:

AXDA1800DLT3C
JIUHB 0308SPMW

Thanks! Later..

syberscott

Feb 20, 2003
I gotta say it. That link keeps showing up and it's pretty useless for 99.99% of us. Most people do not use outrageous cooling and even with the more subtle cooling solutions we have no idea about the system reliability. I bet that many of those speed posts were not tested thoroughly. I even wonder how many of them made it into windows.
Just my 2 cents...

soja

Jul 30, 2001
Originally posted by: syberscott
I gotta say it. That link keeps showing up and it's pretty useless for 99.99% of us. Most people do not use outrageous cooling and even with the more subtle cooling solutions we have no idea about the system reliability. I bet that many of those speed posts were not tested thoroughly. I even wonder how many of them made it into windows.
Just my 2 cents...

I wouldn't say it's useless. Maybe most of the top overclocks listed are usless and bs but the lower half could be legit. You can't rely on any database when you're ocing in the first place but people actually list their steppings there and if you browse oc forums you'll see a lot of the results. It just gives you an idea of the range that specific stepping is hitting. I wouldn't believe I would hit 2.5 just because it's listed that some guy hit that speed with a slk800 but 10 results of XPMW chips for example hitting around 2.2 and seeing those results in various forums after research (which anyone should do if they want to seek the truth :p) gives you a good idea of what you're getting into.

xcript

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2003
Originally posted by: Shimmishim
good choice on a board!

:)

Yeah, looks like a real beaut :) .. can't wait to get my hands on it.

Thanks for the comments folks!

Later..

Doh!

Platinum Member
Jan 21, 2000
Originally posted by: syberscott
Just my 2 cents...

You obviously haven't tried overclocking an XP 1800+ on an nforce2 board.:) I believe those guys that posted there since I was able to overclock a couple of XP 1800+'s past 2.4ghz on air cooling. With a voltage mod, I reached 2.54ghz (ran windows & prime for days) on one of the cpu's. Similar to the XP 1700+'s, I would say hitting 2.2~2.3 should not be that difficult.