Good news yesterday ( blog post )

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
My wife got a message from her endocrinologist. "great news" was the subject.
She has some lumps on her thyroid that have been troubling. They have done needle biopsies, ultrasounds, and it was found with a CAT scan years ago.
The latest needle biopsy came back as Bethesda III category. This one is a pain because its overall malignancy rate. 77% of Bethesda III patients choose surgery, and 26% of those are malignant.
There is a molecular DNA test that can be done with the sample. Unfortunately, the insurance does not cover it.
I went in with her to discuss the biopsy and help her decide. Basically I said, " would you spend that kind of money to fix the dog's eye?" She said yes and I said the decision matrix is complete. Let's pay for the DNA test and roll the dice.
Today that roll came back a winner. The tissue DNA was as negative as they can define, between 91% and 98% benign.
Her overall rate is 97% benign.
Now she can step back, and keep getting ultrasound exams every year or so to keep an eye on it. She's had enough surgeries in her life.

Last edited:

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
I am confused. Are we talking about your wife's eye or your dog's eye?

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
I was putting the cost in perspective for her. We have a chihuahua mix that has gone blind, and we would do anything to fix her sight. When she balked at the cost of her DNA test I called BS on that one :)

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Congrats to her. (and you)
I'm surprised that between the two insurance policies, you had to pay this OoP.

Reactions: skyking

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
Believe me I will be all up in their grille about this one, and will also write the state Insurance commissioner.
What about the folks who don't have the means? Their doc just does the surgery at tremendously more expense, possible loss of thyroid function, risks of surgery, etc etc.

Micrornd

Golden Member
Mar 2, 2013
Believe me I will be all up in their grille about this one, and will also write the state Insurance commissioner.
What about the folks who don't have the means? Their doc just does the surgery at tremendously more expense, possible loss of thyroid function, risks of surgery, etc etc.
Forgive me if this doesn't apply, but killing the thyroid is not a big deal and is not necessarily a surgical procedure.
My thyroid went wonky 20 years ago and it was decided to do away with it. I simply took a small radioactive pill to kill it.
I wasn't allowed to stand closer than 3' to anyone for extended periods for 5 days, no BS.
Blue Cross Blue Shield picked up the entire tab.
I take small Synthoid pill once each morning to completely replace the thyroid's function.
It may be a solution to at least discuss with your physician as an alternative to surgery, since these lumps are on the thyroid.
Kinda like kill the messenger ;)

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
READ the OP ^
no need for surgery, no need to kill a functioning thyroid. Yours went off the rails and it had to be done. She faces no such decision.

Reactions: highland145

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Huzzah!

One of my son's doctors ordered a DNA test for some diagnostic stuff too, and insurance said nope!
"Not medically necessary", thanks, gang.

Reactions: skyking

Micrornd

Golden Member
Mar 2, 2013
READ the OP ^
no need for surgery, no need to kill a functioning thyroid. Yours went off the rails and it had to be done. She faces no such decision.
I did read it. And yes, no need to kill a functioning thyroid, if we were talking about just the thyroid.
My point was that without the thyroid to grow or form on, there would be no lumps to worry about now or in the future.
A tradeoff, absolutely, but possibly bringing peace of mind.
It was just a suggestion and probably not a good one for you.
My apologies.

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
That's fine you can post your experience in here but we take our advice from our doctors.

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
We went out to dinner LOL. We already are under contract for our retirement property, so that puts a damper on anything really extravagant.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
We went out to dinner LOL. We already are under contract for our retirement property, so that puts a damper on anything really extravagant.

Get any interest in your OS lot?

We have a couple of friends who own a summer house not far from your lot. He's a college professor in Oregon. He just found out he can retire with full benefits next year, so they started looking into selling their Oregon house. They had numerous offers far exceeding what their realtor friend estimated...and they could sell it immediately. Of course, he still has a full school year to teach...so now they're weighing whether to sell the house now and rent an apartment...or just take the chance that the market won't go to hell later.
Once he retires, they'll move here full time...and he'll teach on-line classes for more money annually than he made as a tenured professor with a doctorate. (but they won't be paying into his PERS retirement or benefits...just his retiree benefits.)