Good news: We have a solution.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Bad News: It requires reading.

I emphasize the symbolic nature of violence and how it is a life impulse gone awry. Briefly, if one cannot have love, one resorts to respect. And when respect is unavailable, one resorts to fear. Trump is now living through an intolerable loss of respect: rejection by a nation in his election defeat. Violence helps compensate for feelings of powerlessness, inadequacy and lack of real productivity.

We can help fix America, if we really want to. But I think almost half of us really dont want to.

Reactions: dawp

dawp

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005

We can help fix America, if we really want to. But I think almost half of us really dont want to.
the problem is that 50% think they are fixing america(in their own image)
they're just act like it's 1930s germany.

Reactions: Pohemi

amenx

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 2004
excerpt:

What attracts people to Trump? What is their animus or driving force?
The reasons are multiple and varied, but in my recent public-service book, Profile of a Nation, I have outlined two major emotional drives: narcissistic symbiosis and shared psychosis. Narcissistic symbiosis refers to the developmental wounds that make the leader-follower relationship magnetically attractive. The leader, hungry for adulation to compensate for an inner lack of self-worth, projects grandiose omnipotence—while the followers, rendered needy by societal stress or developmental injury, yearn for a parental figure. When such wounded individuals are given positions of power, they arouse similar pathology in the population that creates a “lock and key” relationship... :D

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006
excerpt:

What attracts people to Trump? What is their animus or driving force?
The reasons are multiple and varied, but in my recent public-service book, Profile of a Nation, I have outlined two major emotional drives: narcissistic symbiosis and shared psychosis. Narcissistic symbiosis refers to the developmental wounds that make the leader-follower relationship magnetically attractive. The leader, hungry for adulation to compensate for an inner lack of self-worth, projects grandiose omnipotence—while the followers, rendered needy by societal stress or developmental injury, yearn for a parental figure. When such wounded individuals are given positions of power, they arouse similar pathology in the population that creates a “lock and key” relationship... :D

The "Multiple and varied" part is a big one.

IMO, the GOP is the party of the White-Right, and a lot of them would literally Vote for Satan if he was nominated, and Trump is pretty close. So there is some amount of GOP no matter what, because they are voting White-Right no matter what.

I think a much of the fanatical Trump support comes from the extremists, who have essentially been disavowed and disowned by everyone. Trump welcomed the extremists with open arms. With dog whistles and outright acknowledgement, like to the "Proud Boys", telling them to stand by.

Imagine for a moment that you are fringe extremist disowned everywhere and the POTUS gives you acknowledgment. That is the ultimate validation, and likely to inspire fanatically loyalty. Other extremists who aren't part of the "Proud Boys", will likely recognize solidarity of cause and feel similar loyalty. Trump owns these extremists, and every variety of right wing extremist shows up whenever Trump calls.

Reactions: loafbred and Pohemi

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
I emphasize the symbolic nature of violence and how it is a life impulse gone awry.

That's nice and all, but..... We. Are. Apes. Violence is simply what we do. Throughout ALL of human history.

The notion described in that quote is some sort of delusion or fantasy. Only commonality abates violence for a time, but all commonalities eventually break down and yield to the use of force for opposing purpose.

Violence helps compensate for feelings of powerlessness, inadequacy and lack of real productivity.

True, but America's political system and Constitution are not setup to permit a solution. Winning an election still leaves the victor powerless. Capitalism has evolved and our people have needs that are not being met. Politics will fail to yield a solution for them. Driving them away from peace and towards violence.

Last edited:

amenx

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 2004
The "Multiple and varied" part is a big one.

IMO, the GOP is the party of the White-Right, and a lot of them would literally Vote for Satan if he was nominated, and Trump is pretty close. So there is some amount of GOP no matter what, because they are voting White-Right no matter what.

I think a much of the fanatical Trump support comes from the extremists, who have essentially been disavowed and disowned by everyone. Trump welcomed the extremists with open arms. With dog whistles and outright acknowledgement, like to the "Proud Boys", telling them to stand by.

Imagine for a moment that you are fringe extremist disowned everywhere and the POTUS gives you acknowledgment. That is the ultimate validation, and likely to inspire fanatically loyalty. Other extremists who aren't part of the "Proud Boys", will likely recognize solidarity of cause and feel similar loyalty. Trump owns these extremists, and every variety of right wing extremist shows up whenever Trump calls.
I mentioned along similar lines weeks ago. Imo a significant portion of Trumps base have been stifled by PC correctness until he came along. They were basically alienated and unable to express themselves without being ostracized by society until Trump. If you noticed Trumps rise in popularity during his 2016 campaign, it suddenly spiked after his infamous "Mexicans are rapists, drug dealers and criminals" comment (and anti-immigration stance). This new base could now feel more accepted for the first time in their lives. And it showed in many racist motivated incidents afterwards, usually laced with "Trump will send you back to where you came from" invectives.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I read the subject, and though this was about a certain CPU that was cold with solution.

In any case. I think this is perhaps the truest statement i have ever read. "cult members and victims of abuse are often emotionally bonded to the relationship, unable to see the harm that is being done to them. "

loafbred

May 7, 2000
That's nice and all, but..... We. Are. Apes. Violence is simply what we do. Throughout ALL of human history.

The notion described in that quote is some sort of delusion or fantasy. Only commonality abates violence for a time, but all commonalities eventually break down and yield to the use of force for opposing purpose.

True, but America's political system and Constitution are not setup to permit a solution. Winning an election still leaves the victor powerless. Capitalism has evolved and our people have needs that are not being met. Politics will fail to yield a solution for them. Driving them away from peace and towards violence.
I agree that, by nature, we all carry the tool of violence on our hip, fully recognizing from childhood that it is a solution. We are taught (most of the time, in most societies/communities/households) not to use it unless absolutely necessary. IMO, what the author of the article seeks to illustrate, is that a group tends to quickly establish norms for violence when they agree on (what they perceive to be) an imminent threat, or a critical need.
Having a powerful leader who supports their desire to resort to violence is the problem we face now. I think it's good to look at the mechanics of how we reached this point, especially given that the catalyst for the problem is complete bullshit.

Reactions: Fenixgoon