good news today on the economy

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: BaliBabyDoc
Argue with the economist.
Is that The Economist or the economist that picked 400K? I love The Economist but even good media occasionally prints dribble.

I have the 400k number in a number of newspapers/magazines/tv.

Aug 27, 2003
Why is this good news people? The number dropped because the United States is running out of men and women to file for unemployment. We are already there, thank you very much.

Why don't they tell us the figure for ALL the people who are first time claims + those who are already collecting unemployment +all the people who have exhausted their unemployment and still don't have jobs?

I would be willing to bet if you added up all those numbers I listed above, you would find there are 10's of millions of Americans who are out of work right now.

But please, don't let me stop you from patting the 'recovering' economy on its back.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: UnemployedMay2001
Why is this good news people? The number dropped because the United States is running out of men and women to file for unemployment. We are already there, thank you very much.

Why don't they tell us the figure for ALL the people who are first time claims + those who are already collecting unemployment +all the people who have exhausted their unemployment and still don't have jobs?

I would be willing to bet if you added up all those numbers I listed above, you would find there are 10's of millions of Americans who are out of work right now.

But please, don't let me stop you from patting the 'recovering' economy on its back.

Hi UnMay2001,

There are a few in here that go by the "Voodoo" numbers of "Some" nameless Economist's that spew numbers that make no sense and draw lines like 399,000 filing for Unemployment is an "improving" thing. But the fact remains it is the sounds of the people directly affected by all this that matters. It is clearly apparent that those numbers are what is growing as they get louder, getting louder to the point it doesn't matter what "Numbers" the so called "Economy Experts" throw around including the ones in here that are apparently fat and happy and do not have to worry about the particular job they have.

So, back to the Economy matter at hand. There does seem to be some signs of improving but we had had a few too many false starts and hyped hope that did not come to be over the last 2 years. I go strictly by personal observations and I talk to people, I'm pretty extroverted that way if you knew me.

There is an increase in Trucking traffic = Good.

There is an increase in NEW Business upstarts (Banks are funding more) = Good.

Hopefully this is sustainable unlike the last 2 years and people will start being hired in new jobs.

<crossing fingers for all>

Dave

BaliBabyDoc

Lifer
Jan 20, 2001
Happy now

Why copy and paste and why only Me and Charrison why not paste some of your Lib buddies comments. How about moony poems or big words. What was the point of this post. Is there a way to close this thread it started with some good news and turned into this. You have all become so transparent and blinded by your ideology.
I was answering your commentary . . .

He did not say good he said growing, can you read. If you want i'll call you on the phone and read it to you since you and your pals can't.

Apparently you cannot read, either. I was just following your advice to re-read the column and reassess my characterization. Accordingly, I re-evaluated my posts . . . maybe you should do the same. Per the above quote . . . your quote . . . maybe you should drop the hooked on phonics b/c much like President Bush you can mouth most of the words (and apparently type them) but have very little understanding of their actual meaning.

Ferocious

Diamond Member
Feb 16, 2000
Yep Walmart just opened a new store nearby and is already planning to build a new one next year across town.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Ferocious
Yep Walmart just opened a new store nearby and is already planning to build a new one next year across town.

Same here, they are getting as close to each other as the Eckerd, CVS and Walgreens Pharmacy's on every corner.

At some point we will hearing about the downfall of Wal-Mart and a huge chunk of these stores closing and all these workers losing their jobs.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: dmcowen674

Same here, they are getting as close to each other as the Eckerd, CVS and Walgreens Pharmacy's on every corner.

At some point we will hearing about the downfall of Wal-Mart and a huge chunk of these stores closing and all these workers losing their jobs.

Yep doom and gloom here in DesMoines too- Wells Fargo is opening up a new office(not a bank) around here. IIRC it will bring in ~3000 NEW jobs and something like 60million in annual wages.:D I'll see If I can find the news release on it.

CkG

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: CADkindaGUY

Yep doom and gloom here in DesMoines too- Wells Fargo is opening up a new office(not a bank) around here. IIRC it will bring in ~3000 NEW jobs and something like 60million in annual wages.:D I'll see If I can find the news release on it.

CkG

:confused: , huh? What does that Office building (Yes, good thing) have to do with a chain overbuilding?

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com

CkG

:confused: , huh? What does that Office building (Yes, good thing) have to do with a chain overbuilding?

Nothing - doom and gloom were my comments on what was quoted. The Wells Fargo business thing was just an added "yup the sky is falling" addition;)

news story - only 2000 new jobs - but will move 3300 current employees to the building from other locations.

Dave - I will continue to counter yours and other's daily proclamations that the sky is falling. I notice you posted an almost upbeat view of things but then reverted back to bashing big business. Big business provides jobs - Walmart being successful doesn't only mean some guy/girl will make $7 as a cashier - it means truckers will drive, manufacturors will still produce, and yes since they import alot of crap, the dock workers will have something to do;) Mah - I'm just plain sick of people only looking for and looking at the "bad" - I firmly believe that is exactly why this recovery has taken so long to get it's feet under itself. The constant parroting of "bad" news only scares people into doing things they wouldn't normally do.

dismiss me as an optomist if you wish but it isn't neccessarily the case. I'm more of a realist who has had to resort to posting optomistically to balance out the doom and gloomers;):D

CkG

Jan 12, 2003
Originally posted by: Sternfan
Originally posted by: SuperTool
Originally posted by: Sternfan
What it means is things are getting better what part of that don't you understand? Are you telling me even during the hay days of Clinton new job claims were zero. Some good news lately and yet you can't see it. Just like I said some on this forum will hate it and I was 100% right.

You must be psychic ;) Is your name Miss Cleo?

No its not, what it shows is you never have anything good to say and that reflects bad for you. It really shows what type of person you are and anyone with an ounce of common sense will see right through you.

ve-ry nice, and I concur....

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com

CkG

Nothing - doom and gloom were my comments on what was quoted. The Wells Fargo business thing was just an added "yup the sky is falling" addition;)

news story - only 2000 new jobs - but will move 3300 current employees to the building from other locations.

Dave - I will continue to counter yours and other's daily proclamations that the sky is falling. I notice you posted an almost upbeat view of things but then reverted back to bashing big business. Big business provides jobs - Walmart being successful doesn't only mean some guy/girl will make $7 as a cashier - it means truckers will drive, manufacturors will still produce, and yes since they import alot of crap, the dock workers will have something to do;) Mah - I'm just plain sick of people only looking for and looking at the "bad" - I firmly believe that is exactly why this recovery has taken so long to get it's feet under itself. The constant parroting of "bad" news only scares people into doing things they wouldn't normally do.

dismiss me as an optomist if you wish but it isn't neccessarily the case. I'm more of a realist who has had to resort to posting optomistically to balance out the doom and gloomers;):D

CkG

Interesting post. However the "daily proclamations" as you call them really had not been pronounced as a "sky is falling" type thing until very recently not over the last 2 years of the very evident downward spiral. As I pointed out there were many "Optimistic" reports over the last 2 years that turned out to be 110% hype (I won't even begin to do say where this hype is coming from) and didn't amount to anything. I don't think I or anyone else has been "bashing" big business. Yes, things like Enron and other atrocities done by big Corps like that but not in General.

"I'm just plain sick of people only looking for and looking at the "bad" - I firmly believe that is exactly why this recovery has taken so long to get it's feet under itself. The constant parroting of "bad" news only scares people into doing things they wouldn't normally do."

If only it was that easy. That the Corp execs that are fat and happy are not doing what they would normally do because there is Bad News out there? Actually they are doing what they "normally" would do but to the detriment of this Country itself. They don't care because it most likely would not affect them personally.

It will come back, but not because of anything the Foreign loving greedy SOB's do. It will be because of people right here looking out for the interests of those right here on U.S. soil. Companies that have sold their Souls can go to Hell.
So if you want to call that and those particular Companies Big Business bashing, then fine. Because they do it doesn't mean we have to like it or even live with it.

I know Wal-Mart does all the above you said and that is great. Just saying that if they get too big and can't sustain enough business to have every store on every corner survive outdueling each other, just wouldn't be surprised.

I consider myself a Realist as well. I do not add or try to make the Bad News that is out there worse than what it is. It is also equally as bad for overly Optimists to try and skew bad news and numbers into something good when it isn't.
That's just plain fraud.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com

CkG

CkG

Interesting post. However the "daily proclamations" as you call them really had not been pronounced as a "sky is falling" type thing until very recently not over the last 2 years of the very evident downward spiral. As I pointed out there were many "Optimistic" reports over the last 2 years that turned out to be 110% hype (I won't even begin to do say where this hype is coming from) and didn't amount to anything. I don't think I or anyone else has been "bashing" big business. Yes, things like Enron and other atrocities done by big Corps like that but not in General.

"I'm just plain sick of people only looking for and looking at the "bad" - I firmly believe that is exactly why this recovery has taken so long to get it's feet under itself. The constant parroting of "bad" news only scares people into doing things they wouldn't normally do."

If only it was that easy. That the Corp execs that are fat and happy are not doing what they would normally do because there is Bad News out there? Actually they are doing what they "normally" would do but to the detriment of this Country itself. They don't care because it most likely would not affect them personally.

It will come back, but not because of anything the Foreign loving greedy SOB's do. It will be because of people right here looking out for the interests of those right here on U.S. soil. Companies that have sold their Souls can go to Hell.
So if you want to call that and those particular Companies Big Business bashing, then fine. Because they do it doesn't mean we have to like it or even live with it.

I know Wal-Mart does all the above you said and that is great. Just saying that if they get too big and can't sustain enough business to have every store on every corner survive outdueling each other, just wouldn't be surprised.

I consider myself a Realist as well. I do not add or try to make the Bad News that is out there worse than what it is. It is also equally as bad for overly Optimists to try and skew bad news and numbers into something good when it isn't.
That's just plain fraud.

Dave please re-read what you just posted. You proved atleast one of my points.;) I'll help you with them a tad.
You say you don't bash big business but yet your post does exactly that - "That the Corp execs that are fat and happy are not doing what they would normally do because there is Bad News out there? Actually they are doing what they "normally" would do but to the detriment of this Country itself. They don't care because it most likely would not affect them personally." - yup big bad business
rolleye.gif

Also you have had a tendancy to post negative things - take your "depression" thread for example;) I'm not saying you can't post the news, but the slant and attitude that the news is constantly posted with is what the problem is. Look at your word choice and then tell me you are even close to being fair or realistic;) This isn't to bash you - only to help you come out of your "sky is falling" funk:D

The economy isn't roaring but it is FAR from depression:p If you only look at the last 6-7 years then yes it is "bad" in comparison, but you need to ask yourself - was that economy overblown? was it sustainable? was it an economy built on solid financial ground? yes-no-no ;)

CkG

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com

CkG

CkG

That's just plain fraud.

Dave please re-read what you just posted. You proved atleast one of my points.;) I'll help you with them a tad.
You say you don't bash big business but yet your post does exactly that - "That the Corp execs that are fat and happy are not doing what they would normally do because there is Bad News out there? Actually they are doing what they "normally" would do but to the detriment of this Country itself. They don't care because it most likely would not affect them personally." - yup big bad business
rolleye.gif

Also you have had a tendancy to post negative things - take your "depression" thread for example;) I'm not saying you can't post the news, but the slant and attitude that the news is constantly posted with is what the problem is. Look at your word choice and then tell me you are even close to being fair or realistic;) This isn't to bash you - only to help you come out of your "sky is falling" funk:D

The economy isn't roaring but it is FAR from depression:p If you only look at the last 6-7 years then yes it is "bad" in comparison, but you need to ask yourself - was that economy overblown? was it sustainable? was it an economy built on solid financial ground? yes-no-no ;)

CkG

We're both just doing the pervebial "Agreeing to disagree". A healthy disagreement though. I don;t quite consider myself to be a CNN and don't think you are a Fox News Channel either.

I didn't say "EVERY" big business. Only the ones acting in "NEGATIVE" interests towards the U.S.

Even though I went out on a limb personally to say it certainly looks like a Depression to me, only Historians and what is written in History books will determine that or not.

I also did not go by any kind of a comparison to any period such as 6-7 years or what ws perceived to be an overblown Economy.

I am going strictly to what is happening to the people. What people are saying. What is happening to people's lives such as losing Homes, going into Bankruptcy etc. The term "It's the Economy, Stupid" is kicked around a lot but more importantly they should be saying "It's the People, Stupid". The people is what have gotten completely lost in all this. Just look at someone that posted recently logging on with a handle UnemployedMay2001. Things like that says it all.

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
What data base does the information come from regarding the creation of new jobs or any job gain or loss? Think about the source of this data. How is it 'they' can on a weekly and or monthly basis produce the numbers...

Jan 12, 2003
Originally posted by: LunarRay
What data base does the information come from regarding the creation of new jobs or any job gain or loss? Think about the source of this data. How is it 'they' can on a weekly and or monthly basis produce the numbers...

BLS has their methodology on their website, I am sure...

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
Originally posted by: xxxxxJohnGaltxxxxx

They referred me to the Census folks who said Commerce would know but, I did find a person in 'Labor' who told me "they" use a model. I know all the reporting a company (big, small, C or Partnership or SP) provides and none of it is timely enough to generate weekly numbers. Quarterly is the best they can get. Other than UI which is in real time.

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003

I'll be... I got a call as I posted the above and was directed as you directed and to this...

This news release presents statistics from two major surveys, the Current
Population Survey (household survey) and the Current Employment Statistics
survey (establishment survey). The household survey provides the
information on the labor force, employment, and unemployment that appears
in the A tables, marked HOUSEHOLD DATA. It is a sample survey of about
60,000 households conducted by the U.S. Census Bureau for the Bureau of
Labor Statistics (BLS).

The establishment survey provides the information on the employment,
hours, and earnings of workers on nonfarm payrolls that appears in the
B tables, marked ESTABLISHMENT DATA. This information is collected from
payroll records by BLS in cooperation with State agencies. The sample
includes about 160,000 businesses and government agencies covering ap-
proximately 400,000 individual worksites. The active sample includes
about one-third of all nonfarm payroll workers. The sample is drawn
from a sampling frame of unemployment insurance tax accounts.

So it is a survey and that makes sense..
Thank you, btw... I wasted $ when it was there all the time..

rchiu

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2002

CkG

Yeah, just make sure you optimist don't do that to make your president looks good and ignore the problem we face today. If we doom and gloomers were wrong, hey no harm done, the world is still a nice place. But if you guys were wrong, we missed the opportunities to recognize and solve the problem before it become really damaging.

Did we have a recession? yes we did, during the 2001/2002. Is the economy better now? yes it is, based on GDP. But before you go and celebrate, you should know significat part of current GDP growth is because of this war we had and the large spending on the war against terrorism. And lot of those money we spent are borrowed money, and if the rate of economic recovery does not translate to government revenue to offset those borrowed money and interest, we are worst off then before. How those billions and billions of dollar we spent in Iraq is gonna translate to government revenue is beyond my comprehension, may be the Bushies in this forum can educate me on that.

On a seperate matter from GDP growth, our employment situation is still not well. We already have a term "jobless recovery" for this economic recovery on the street. Yeah we had one good week of decent unemployment insurance claim, but people ususally take the 4 week moving average as a better indicator because one week of data is just statistically insignificant. We finally have one month of positive jobs growth after 8 month of negative job growth. But that is still not enough to say the trend is reversing. We are still at 6.1% unemployment rate, should we wait until the rate hits 8% to start worry about it?

I don't know where you work but the company I work for, a fortune 50 company, is handing out hundreds of good paying IT jobs to foreign workers. Even if companies need more people, they are not gonna hire more American, they will just go and get more cheap foreign workers. Same thing goes for manufacturing and some of the accounting and analyst positions. Before this outsourcing trends started, at least we had foreign workers coming to America to both work and spend. Now we have foreign workers sitting at a desk thousand miles away from the US, earning US dollar, but spending on local economy. Tell me how that is not gonna be bad for our economy?

Just face it, there are too many ways now for a company to exploit wage earners and the unemployment rate is not gonna pick up significantly anytime soon. Not unless there are enough of us doom and gloomers complain about it and do something about it.

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: rchiu

CkG

Yeah, just make sure you optimist don't do that to make your president looks good and ignore the problem we face today. If we doom and gloomers were wrong, hey no harm done, the world is still a nice place. But if you guys were wrong, we missed the opportunities to recognize and solve the problem before it become really damaging.

Did we have a recession? yes we did, during the 2001/2002. Is the economy better now? yes it is, based on GDP. But before you go and celebrate, you should know significat part of current GDP growth is because of this war we had and the large spending on the war against terrorism. And lot of those money we spent are borrowed money, and if the rate of economic recovery does not translate to government revenue to offset those borrowed money and interest, we are worst off then before. How those billions and billions of dollar we spent in Iraq is gonna translate to government revenue is beyond my comprehension, may be the Bushies in this forum can educate me on that.

On a seperate matter from GDP growth, our employment situation is still not well. We already have a term "jobless recovery" for this economic recovery on the street. Yeah we had one good week of decent unemployment insurance claim, but people ususally take the 4 week moving average as a better indicator because one week of data is just statistically insignificant. We finally have one month of positive jobs growth after 8 month of negative job growth. But that is still not enough to say the trend is reversing. We are still at 6.1% unemployment rate, should we wait until the rate hits 8% to start worry about it?

I don't know where you work but the company I work for, a fortune 50 company, is handing out hundreds of good paying IT jobs to foreign workers. Even if companies need more people, they are not gonna hire more American, they will just go and get more cheap foreign workers. Same thing goes for manufacturing and some of the accounting and analyst positions. Before this outsourcing trends started, at least we had foreign workers coming to America to both work and spend. Now we have foreign workers sitting at a desk thousand miles away from the US, earning US dollar, but spending on local economy. Tell me how that is not gonna be bad for our economy?

Just face it, there are too many ways now for a company to exploit wage earners and the unemployment rate is not gonna pick up significantly anytime soon. Not unless there are enough of us doom and gloomers complain about it and do something about it.

The 4 week rolling average for jobs is down below 400k as well. Things are improving.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
It's gonna be a bright bright bright sunny day...

I'm looking over a four leaf clover that I overlooked before...

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002

I'll be... I got a call as I posted the above and was directed as you directed and to this...

This news release presents statistics from two major surveys, the Current
Population Survey (household survey) and the Current Employment Statistics
survey (establishment survey). The household survey provides the
information on the labor force, employment, and unemployment that appears
in the A tables, marked HOUSEHOLD DATA. It is a sample survey of about
60,000 households conducted by the U.S. Census Bureau for the Bureau of
Labor Statistics (BLS).

The establishment survey provides the information on the employment,
hours, and earnings of workers on nonfarm payrolls that appears in the
B tables, marked ESTABLISHMENT DATA. This information is collected from
payroll records by BLS in cooperation with State agencies. The sample
includes about 160,000 businesses and government agencies covering ap-
proximately 400,000 individual worksites. The active sample includes
about one-third of all nonfarm payroll workers. The sample is drawn
from a sampling frame of unemployment insurance tax accounts.

So it is a survey and that makes sense..
Thank you, btw... I wasted $ when it was there all the time..
One word of caution. The household survey counts people as "working" if they report even one hour of employment, or if they say they are getting any self-employment income, even if it is something like selling Avon. It does not reflect people who are under-employed.

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
Bowfinger,
Yeah..
I'm trying to see just what the degree of error is in the numbers as they provided them.. for a +/- 5% we could be on one side of the nifty 400,000 or the other and ought to be happy or sad depending..