good news today on the economy

SuperTool

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
You do realize that means 380000 people filed for unemployment benefits that week? So it's less bad news that the weeks before, but by no means "great news."

BaliBabyDoc

Lifer
Jan 20, 2001
Hey don't poop on the parade. This administration and its supporters are masters of spin . . . I mean putting out the truth about all the good things going on in America, Iraq, and Afghanistan.

According to Dan Rather, Paul Bremer said work in Iraq is going better than expected . . . I wonder what they were expecting?

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Good news is Fox news, Yeah man. Fair and balanced toward the optimistic like a good sycophant should.

Sternfan

May 24, 2003
What it means is things are getting better what part of that don't you understand? Are you telling me even during the hay days of Clinton new job claims were zero. Some good news lately and yet you can't see it. Just like I said some on this forum will hate it and I was 100% right.

SuperTool

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
Originally posted by: Sternfan
What it means is things are getting better what part of that don't you understand? Are you telling me even during the hay days of Clinton new job claims were zero. Some good news lately and yet you can't see it. Just like I said some on this forum will hate it and I was 100% right.

You must be psychic ;) Is your name Miss Cleo?

Sternfan

May 24, 2003
Originally posted by: SuperTool

No its not, what it shows is you never have anything good to say and that reflects bad for you. It really shows what type of person you are and anyone with an ounce of common sense will see right through you.

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
You do realize that means 380000 people filed for unemployment benefits that week? So it's less bad news that the weeks before, but by no means "great news."

Numbers less than 400k indicate the employment market is expanding. This is good news...

SuperTool

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000

No its not, what it shows is you never have anything good to say and that reflects bad for you. It really shows what type of person you are and anyone with an ounce of common sense will see right through you.

Ok, I'll pass the great news to the 382000 filing unemployment claim this week.
I am sure they will be thrilled ;)

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999

During the dotcom boom weekly unemployment figures were around 300k. Were you complaining about that large number then?

Sternfan

May 24, 2003

Sorry you don't get it, have a nice life. why don't you go read the foreskin thread, maybe bali can't explain that to you.

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002

But you called it "Great" news in your title. At best, this is hopeful news, a sign that things may finally be turning around. If that number keeps dropping by tens of thousands every month for the next six months and if other economic indicators show consistent, strong improvement, that will be GREAT news. For now, keep your fingers crossed.

SuperTool

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000

Sorry you don't get it, have a nice life. why don't you go read the foreskin thread, maybe bali can't explain that to you.

I'm there ;)

dpm

Golden Member
Apr 24, 2002
Someone clue me in here - when the article says " new applications for jobless benefits dropped by a seasonally adjusted 23,000 to 382,000" what do they mean by seasonally adjusted?

SuperTool

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
Originally posted by: charrison

During the dotcom boom weekly unemployment figures were around 300k. Were you complaining about that large number then?

Go look at numbers during Clinton years for this week in october. They were howering around 250K. And I am not complaining about the number, but it's also not GREAT news.

Sternfan

May 24, 2003
Originally posted by: Bowfinger

But you called it "Great" news in your title. At best, this is hopeful news, a sign that things may finally be turning around. If that number keeps dropping by tens of thousands every month for the next six months and if other economic indicators show consistent, strong improvement, that will be GREAT news. For now, keep your fingers crossed.

I am hopeful, most indicators show positive news and the stock market is up over 20% in the last three months. I'm sorry to mislead you with the title but I still think its great.

Wolfdog

Aug 25, 2001
Yes, those are hopeful numbers. They could also mean other things also.

1) The unemployment benefits have run out, and can no longer make a claim.
2) There are less claims being made since those unemployed have given up.

I also find it lacking in precision in where exactly those new jobs are. Nothing like opening a walmart down the street to keep the new jobs rolling in. Except if you are highly educated and have experience. Then it sucks to be paid minimum wage, with no health benefits for the first 6 months. Then again things have to turn around soon since next year is an election year.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Actually my problem with the Bush Administration isn't the way they have handled the Economy because I really don't believe they are really capable of making that much of a difference. It's up to the Business Community. It's their bizarre foreign diplomacy and their willingness to deceive the American Public with lies and deceit

Sternfan

May 24, 2003
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
Good news is Fox news, Yeah man. Fair and balanced toward the optimistic like a good sycophant should.

Hey moon, I could have found this news on any news site, its not something fox made up. Maybe one of your dishonest news sources did not post but then again who cares what you think, you are the most depressing person on this forum.

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: charrison

Go look at numbers during Clinton years for this week in october. They were howering around 250K. And I am not complaining about the number, but it's also not GREAT news.

which october?

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
Originally posted by: dpm
Someone clue me in here - when the article says " new applications for jobless benefits dropped by a seasonally adjusted 23,000 to 382,000" what do they mean by seasonally adjusted?

Since no one else has stepped up, I can explain the concept. Hopefully someone else can provide more accurate examples (I'm just making up examples that sound right.)

The idea is that employment varies predictably by season. For example, employment picks up in the summer due to summer jobs and field work. It drops again as we head into Fall. It picks up in November due to temporary staff for Christmas. It then drops again in January. The government takes this into account when reporting unemployment statistics, adjusting the report up or down as necessary to compensate for these seasonal variations. It's an attempt to normalize the data so you can make reasonable comparisons from month to month.

Again, if someone can provide better info, please speak up.

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
Sternfan,
Since you asked... I care what Moonbeam says. It is only depressing to those who get depressed by the truth. I don't so I find it refreshing..

BaliBabyDoc

Lifer
Jan 20, 2001
Numbers less than 400k indicate the employment market is expanding. This is good news...
400K is an arbitrary indicator of the employment market. For instance, if you lowered the threshold by 5% I doubt it would reflect a significant change in the employment picture . . . except of course the anti-Bushies would say "job market continues to languish", while Bushies would exclaim, "jobless claims fall by 23K or nearly 6% (optimist will always round up) in a week and 77K or nearly 17% since the April high."

A given report has very little significance (except for the people gaining or losing their employment). Under current conditions that real utility comes from tracking the trend. Jobless claims are clearly on a negative trajectory. It's good news if the negative trajectory is due to increased employment but you need a lot more information to assign causation.

In my state, there few new employment opportunities being created, layoffs have slowed but continue to outpace new hiring, and many people have been unemployed for many months. As someone noted above, exhausting unemployment benefits, grads favoring more school over the job search, etc could also explain the jobs report.

Sternfan

May 24, 2003
Originally posted by: LunarRay
Sternfan,
Since you asked... I care what Moonbeam says. It is only depressing to those who get depressed by the truth. I don't so I find it refreshing..

I'm glad you care what he\she thinks. Just remember it's your truth and only one side of the story. You are very arrogant to think you and moon are right and everyone else is wrong. This thread was made because there was some good news today about a very depressing subject for most people and you just can't see it. But it was very nice of you to come to moon's aid it makes me all warm and fuzzy inside.