Good News For Pioneer A06 Owners Concerning Dual Layer

Wheezer

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 1999
Pioneer has demonstrated dual layer burning during the CES, the technology exhibition in Las Vegas. The company succeeded recording to two layers DVD-R in October 2003 and now firstly publicly demonstrated the technology. In the booth of the RWPPI (RW Products Promotion Initiative) they wrote 100 MB to each layer. The discs were read back by a normal DVD player.

Intresting however is that the company used a Pioneer A06 burner with only a modified firmware. According to the company only a firmware modification is needed in order to make a DVD-R drive write dual layer discs. The disc was written at 2 speed. The DVD-R dual layer specifications have not yet been passed by the DVD Forum.

Pandamonium

Golden Member
Aug 19, 2001
Sweet. My original plan was to get an A06 after the A07 is released, though recently I've been considering other branded 8X burners. This news just changed all that though =) Thanks.

SludgeFactory

Platinum Member
Sep 14, 2001
wow, I may be buying A06 as I need a burner soon.

I wonder if the A07 will also be flashable to dual layer...

Flyermax2k3

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2003
I don't suppose the 106 and the A06 are the same drives? :( It would be great not to have to buy a new drive for dual-layer burning, but I was already expecting to have to do so anyway. Even if my drive can't burn dual-layer discs, I'm still more-than-happy with it as it's the best optical drive I've owned period.

dc

Diamond Member
Nov 26, 1999
so has pioneer commited to making a firmware upgrade available?

SludgeFactory

Platinum Member
Sep 14, 2001
Originally posted by: Flyermax2k3
I don't suppose the 106 and the A06 are the same drives? :( It would be great not to have to buy a new drive for dual-layer burning, but I was already expecting to have to do so anyway. Even if my drive can't burn dual-layer discs, I'm still more-than-happy with it as it's the best optical drive I've owned period.
One is the retail, one is the OEM. AFAIK, they're the same drive.

Flyermax2k3

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2003
Originally posted by: SludgeFactory
Originally posted by: Flyermax2k3
One is the retail, one is the OEM. AFAIK, they're the same drive.

Seriously!!??oneone!!1111oneone? KICK ASS! I'm so glad I bought this drive now :)

Confused

Elite Member
Nov 13, 2000
100mb to each layer is a starting point :cool:

I'd be interested to see if this can be developed more :)

Confused

KeyserSoze

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 2000
Dang, I hope Optorite can do the same. (I read somewhere a few months ago that either it was in development, or that it would be released, or possible...or something like that.)

KeyserSoze