Good movies with bad actors

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
Tropic Thunder. Honestly I was just surprised I could love a movie with Jack Black in it.

The rest of the guys I have no problem with.

ussfletcher

Platinum Member
Apr 16, 2005
Oh! I can't believe I forgot the actors that played Anakin in Episodes 1 - 3. The kid is somewhat understandable, as he is a kid. However the other guy is just talentless.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
Oh! I can't believe I forgot the actors that played Anakin in Episodes 1 - 3. The kid is somewhat understandable, as he is a kid. However the other guy is just talentless.

What do you mean you forgot. Those movies were fucking awful through and through... NOT good movies with bad actors

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Who didnt you like?
Tobin Bell? Danny Glover? Cary Elwes? Shawnee Smith? Ken Lueng?

pretty much all of the acting was terrible IMO. the very beginning when they are starting out in the bathroom area is just painful to watch. danny glover is also terrible at acting, and the main character is also terrible in this roll. i thought the guy who played ben linus in LOST was pretty bad in saw as well. hell even jigsaw himself is a poor actor.

but i still think the movie kicks major ass.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
No actor of even the greatest quality could have saved the Star Wars 1-3 movies from their own dialog. Ewan McGregor is a great actor, but did you hear some of the shit he said? Hell, Harrison Ford had to rewrite his dialog on set in order to save the old ones.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
oh i just thought of another one.

Happy Gilmore.

Sandler was pretty bad in that movie but it is awesome. Also the guy with the nail in his head is terrible.

And not sure if anyone remembers this part but i do because i've seen it like 100 times, towards the end of the movie they cut to this black dude in the crowd who says "Dont worry happy shooters gonna choke, the gold jacket is yours" or something along those lines, and i facepalm at how bad that part sounds.

EDIT:

and Point Break is AWESOME whoever is saying elsewise is wrong.

joesmoke

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 2007

great call. another longtime favorite of mine that i watched recently and cringed at parts. the dude that plays dante is a fucking terrible actor. you can close your eyes and it actually sounds like hes reading it right off a script. also suffers from the Dawsons Creek Syndrome; too much fancy diatribe by people who would never talk that way in real life.

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
Saving Private Ryan - Vin Diesel. I'm sure we can all agree Vin Diesel is not a stellar actor. Maybe it's because it's an ensemble cast and he's the first to die.

The first movie I thought of was The Rock too.

30 Days of Night - Josh Hartnett. I love this movie and feel it's a good adaptation of the comic, I hate Josh Hartnett.

American Pie - Like the entire cast of actors suck (except Alyson Hannigan), but it's a great movie.

Butterfly Effect - Ashton Kutcher bites and was the reason I waited a long time to see this movie, but it turned out to be damn good.

And I might as well do one actor that everyone will flame me for and say ...
Anchorman - Will Ferrell. I really hate him and almost everything he does, but quite frankly this movie is hilarious.

Possessed Freak

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 1999
great call. another longtime favorite of mine that i watched recently and cringed at parts. the dude that plays dante is a fucking terrible actor. you can close your eyes and it actually sounds like hes reading it right off a script. also suffers from the Dawsons Creek Syndrome; too much fancy diatribe by people who would never talk that way in real life.

For me it was the paramedic who was reading her lines off the sheet she was "writing" on.

gimmewhitecastles

Golden Member
Mar 2, 2005

Jay and silent bob were awesome though.

SphinxnihpS

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2005
This may have been a thread before, but I don't remember it. Anyway I was talking with a buddy yesterday how there's some pretty bad actors out there that end up getting into some awesome movies.

Some of my favorites include Nicholas Cage in The Rock and/or Lord of War. I really enjoyed both those movies, and Cage still wasn't enough to ruin them for me. Maggie Gyllenhaal was pretty fucking terrible for The Dark Knight, and if she had a bigger role she could have totally fucked that one up for me.

What about you?

I thought part of the title of this thread was "Good movies"...

SphinxnihpS

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2005
District 9? I thought the movie was ok but a lot of people thought it was good. There are no good actors to be named of in it that I can think of.

What! Whoever played the lead was fucking awesome. He's supremely convincing as a twatty corporate tool. You start to revile him quickly, then he somehow makes himself sympathetic and heroic. Marvelous performance! What the fuck movie did you watch?

Away

Diamond Member
May 1, 2005
Another vote for Good Will Hunting. Ben Affleck was carried in that film.