Good mobo for i7 6700 non k

RafK

Sep 9, 2016
Look for a good mother board for this chip best bang for the buck. Needs to be able to run fast ram 8gb x 2, gtx 1070 n ssd and wifi would be a plus. Also to have a option I heard about that lets you run the turbo speed at all times, if any can explain how that is done and how will the stock cooler handle it. I'm not interested in overclocking. And pc will be used for multimedia and gaming, budget $130

lehtv

Elite Member
Dec 8, 2010
Any standard B150 or H170 mATX/ATX board with a separately bought WLAN card will work. For example, Gigabyte B150-HD3P and TP-Link WN881ND.

Why would you want to run turbo speed at all times though? There is no benefit to that that I'm aware of, it'll just increase power consumption unnecessarily.

Last edited:

DesiPower

Lifer
Nov 22, 2008
If you go with B series mobo make sure they have enough PCI lanes for 1070 and m.2 at full speed.

Why do you want it to run on turbo at all times? Do these CPUs still come with "stock cooler"? If you think PC will be running at high loads at all times or most of the time then I would definitely look at a good cooler.

lehtv

Elite Member
Dec 8, 2010
If you go with B series mobo make sure they have enough PCI lanes for 1070 and m.2 at full speed.

There's nothing to make sure. All B150 boards have 8 lanes in addition to the 16 lanes you get from the CPU. This means in addition to full bandwidth (not the same as speed) for the main PCIe slot and the M.2 slot, you have 4 lanes to use for other PCIe add-on cards such as WLAN. Usually the x4 PCIe slot will operate in x1 mode when the M.2 slot is populated, becaus there are one or more PCIe x1 slots that need to have bandwidth as well.

The only other variable with regard to bandwidth is whether the M.2 slot accepts M-key devices. B-key devices can only use two PCIe lanes. I'm pretty sure, though, that all LGA1151 boards that support M.2 are M-key compatible.

However, the OP did not say he's getting an M.2 SSD. Most likely he'll be using a standard 2.5" form factor SATA 6gb/s SSD.