Good microATX case for a homemade PVR?

Discussion in 'Cases & Cooling' started by flashbacck, Oct 10, 2002.

1. flashbacck

flashbacck Golden Member

Hey all. Does anyone know of any microatx cases that would make a good PVR/tivo like thing? I was thinking the AOPEN A340. But it says it only accepts "low profile" cards. So I'm getting the impression an ATI all-in-wonder wouldn't fit in it.

I would consider one of the shuttle microatx's but the ss51g is the only one with an AGP slot and only takes P4's (which is way more powerful and expensive than I need).

So any ideas? thanks!
    Flashbacck

2. nnnyyy

nnnyyy Diamond Member

3. flashbacck

flashbacck Golden Member

has anyone had experience with the Avance FR02? I particularly like it because it has a riser card to fit a full size pci card.

4. optimistic

optimistic Diamond Member

I built two computers with this.

Inwin L545
    Inside
    psu

Ones powering Celeron 1.7GHz @ 2.1GHz. Other Duron 800MHz.

The Yeong Yang is a realy good case. Comes with 200w PSU but it's kinda loud though.

5. flashbacck

flashbacck Golden Member

I would really like a slim case flex or micro atx pc, I would take a case that uses riser cards because those would be even slimmer.

thanks for the ideas so far. any others?

6. Dabappa

Dabappa Member

7. Packy

Packy Platinum Member

I'm a huge fan of this case from newegg, but it's a tower case.

There are other Yeong Yang cases as well, and they're all quite well made. I personally like the 102 the best, which nnnyyy mentioned. Directron carries the 102, but calls it a Casper II A102

[edit] Here is a link to the Coolermaster Dabappa mentioned. It's KINDA pricey but looks amazing :)

8. Rogue

Rogue Banned

I recommend this case:

Lian-Li PC-9300

I have been looking for myself. My interest lies not only in PVR function, but also getting rid of the floppy drive and a small, desktop case that supports two external 5.25" bays. To date, I've only found two of them and the other one is the Coolermaster one mentioned above. The Aopen one you posted fits all my needs except for that damn floppy drive bay! Why couldn't it be a 5.25" bay? WHY??? ;)

9. optimistic

10. optimistic

11. zeroidea

zeroidea Senior member

there are tons of neat cases to be found on japanese and other asian websites, but very few of them can be found stateside..

I have two Inwin L545. They're pretty nice, but could definitely be smaller.

I wish some company would come to their senses and position the components _under_ the motherboard, I think you could tighten things up quite a bit if that were done. Some longer cables, maybe, but you wouldn't have anything obstructing access to the motherboard then.

12. optimistic

eh? What about the vertical space between the i/o cards and the top of the case? It would go unused! Manufactueres design the cases that way so the space next to the i/o cards can be taken advantage of, insuring maximum space efficiency.

13. zeroidea

zeroidea Senior member

But it usually isn't taken advantage of, and when it is it can create problems with cards bumping into long drives and such. Since your posting to this thread I'll assume you've seen a few MATX boards and cases: MATX boards are usually around 9 to 10" square (the ones I've seen), and yet the cases typically have depths of 14-18" because the drives have to be far enough forward so as to not bump into PCI cards and other components (ram, heatsinks). you could put bulkier items over the CPU and RAM and ATX connector, but when cases are designed as such it's much more likely you'll run into problems of compatibility, because not all boards are laid out the same way. Some day I'll get around to photoshopping a mockup, but if you've got a bunch of spare parts around you can just tinker with configuring them in different positions, and it's really not hard at all to come up with something much smaller than any widely available MATX case I've ever seen (I'm only referring to MATX cases that support standard sized drives and full-height PCI cards - Flex ATX cases for slimline drives and half-height cards are already about as small as you can go without getting proprietary..

14. Dug

Dug Diamond Member

That thing is SWEET!