Good lord! The plane that hit the south WTC tower was travelling at just under 600 MPH!

Aug 10, 2001

<< February 23, 2002 Posted: 9:45 AM EST (1445 GMT)

NEW YORK (AP) -- Researchers believe the second hijacked plane to hit the World Trade Center tower was traveling about 100 mph faster than the first, according to a published report.

Investigators are focusing on the speed of the two planes as they seek to explain what caused the south tower to collapse first, even though it was hit later, The New York Times reported Saturday.

Researchers have closely studied videos, sound recordings and radar to estimate how fast the two jetliners were moving. Studies show that both planes were traveling well over the federal limits for altitudes below 10,000 feet, The Times said.

The second plane was flying so fast that it was in danger of breaking up in the air as it approached the south tower, Boeing spokeswoman Liz Verdier told the Times.

"These guys exceeded even the emergency dive speed," Verdier said. "It's off the chart."

...The government's calculations put the speed of the first plane at 494 mph, and the second at 586 mph.
>>

SuperTool

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000

<< Studies show that both planes were traveling well over the federal limits for altitudes below 10,000 feet >>

Isn't that illegal?
rolleye.gif

spanky

Lifer
Jun 19, 2001

<<

<< Studies show that both planes were traveling well over the federal limits for altitudes below 10,000 feet >>

Isn't that illegal?
rolleye.gif
>>

i don't think the hijackers gave a crap. and i thought the south tower fell first becuz it was hit lower... meaning more weight on top pushing down. but i'm no engineer.

Aug 10, 2001

<<

<<

Isn't that illegal?
rolleye.gif
>>

i don't think the hijackers gave a crap. and i thought the south tower fell first becuz it was hit lower... meaning more weight on top pushing down. but i'm no engineer.
>>

They're looking at that as a possible cause, too.

spanky

Lifer
Jun 19, 2001
woohoo! the mods need to get a smiley face with a light bulb over the head :D

crab

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2001
FYI the limit under 10K is 250kts, unless you have permission or your a/c's clean speed is >250.

But i'm surprised it was that fast...maybe appraching mach tuck.

ThaGrandCow

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
Does it really matter why the second fell first? They were hit with flying bombs. Who cares the reason that one fell before the other.

Lucky

Lifer
Nov 26, 2000

<< Does it really matter why the second fell first? They were hit with flying bombs. Who cares the reason that one fell before the other. >>

Uh, they're are studying the collapses so it may be possible to prevent such a catastrophe in the future, if possible. Isnt that obvious?

NeoV

Diamond Member
Apr 18, 2000
I am surprised they were able to control the planes at such a high speed and guide it into the buildings....

CocaCola5

Golden Member
Jan 5, 2001
The MIT report is much more conservative putting it roughly at 537mph, still damn fast regardless. This is probably fast even for a figher jet(presumably at < 1000 ft).

b0mbrman

Lifer
Jun 1, 2001

<<

<< Does it really matter why the second fell first? They were hit with flying bombs. Who cares the reason that one fell before the other. >>

Uh, they're are studying the collapses so it may be possible to prevent such a catastrophe in the future, if possible. Isnt that obvious?
>>

I care.

Something bad happened to us...does that mean we should go hide under a rock? -- "Who cares who was flying the planes? Who cares where they came from? Who cares ...

I was and still am as pissed off about the whole thing as anyone out there. But it still doesn't block me from wanting to rationally find out the who/why/how of it all and how to prevent another from happening again...