Good Living room Camera survailance?

FFactory0x

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2001
I love in an apt with 3 other guys but people come in and out of my place a lot. I have lots of expensive gear in there and want to keep and eye on it. What options in terms of survailance do i have

Armitage

Banned
Feb 23, 2001
Uhm ... you can get in alot of trouble for that. In many states it is illegal to do audio recordings without the consent of all parties in any situation where the parties have an expectation of privacy. In in others at least one of the parties involved in the conversation must consent. I suspect video taping is similar.

Hoober

Diamond Member
Feb 9, 2001
Originally posted by: ergeorge
Uhm ... you can get in alot of trouble for that. In many states it is illegal to do audio recordings without the consent of all parties in any situation where the parties have an expectation of privacy. In in others at least one of the parties involved in the conversation must consent. I suspect video taping is similar.

So don't record audio?

Armitage

Banned
Feb 23, 2001
Originally posted by: Hoober

So don't record audio?

Yea, it might be as simple as that. The rules may be different for videotaping.
I'm just pointing out that he needs to be careful. That kind of stuff can get you in alot of trouble in some places.

FFactory0x

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2001
They agree to it. Its only going in the living room and pointing towards my dvds', xbox, stereo and tv

Regs

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
FYI: "Can We Tape?"

Again, this discusses audio recording, but I suspect the rules for video are similar.

Just leave a sticker on the front and back door of your apartment that it's under survalance. No biggie.

FFactory0x

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2001
jesus guys, can you link me to something and how might i set it up. I could care less about these so called laws and bs. Its my ass if i get in trouble so could you help me out with my question rather than giving me this mumbo jumbo illegal horse sh*t. Im in no way pissed at you guys, but these guys could seriously care less

IamElectro

Golden Member
Jul 15, 2003

Only a few states have laws on video recordings. In most states audio is legal as long as one of the parites is involved is aware there is a recording happening.

Examples would be convience stores, banks, etc.. they are recording you everywhere just no audio.

Armitage

Banned
Feb 23, 2001
LoL ... whatever. So you catch some guy stealing your stereo, but end up with a felony conviction if you try to use it.

Hit google ... it'll likely find you dozens of sites on how to do this stuff with a webcam. Or you can go down to Sam's Club and buy a turn-key business surveillance system with the recorder, camers, etc.

FFactory0x

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2001
Im not going to use it in court dude or whatever. Im just going to use it to see who took it so i can show my schools security or see if anyone knows the person on the tape.

cpals

Diamond Member
Mar 5, 2001
LoL ... whatever. So you catch some guy stealing your stereo, but end up with a felony conviction if you try to use it.

Hit google ... it'll likely find you dozens of sites on how to do this stuff with a webcam. Or you can go down to Sam's Club and buy a turn-key business surveillance system with the recorder, camers, etc.

Recording video isn't illegal... why do so many shopping centers and such have them? At my store there are no signs posted "Beware, recording in process." It's not like he's going to be hiding the camera behind a one-way mirror or something, it'll probably be in the open.

You keep trying to make it sound like he's going to jail if he does this... maybe you should learn more about something before acting like the authority on it.

DivideBYZero

Lifer
May 18, 2001
Originally posted by: DivideBYZero
get a webcam with motion sensing Software. Should be cheap and would do the trick.

WEB CAM?

Set up:

- buy cam
- Install offensively easy software
- use

gistech1978

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2002
you also hear all the time of the child's babysitter or nanny getting busted on a small webcam the parents set up.
i dont ever seem to remember the person that set up the camera getting in trouble for doing it.

Armitage

Banned
Feb 23, 2001
Originally posted by: cpals

Recording video isn't illegal... why do so many shopping centers and such have them? At my store there are no signs posted "Beware, recording in process." It's not like he's going to be hiding the camera behind a one-way mirror or something, it'll probably be in the open.

The difference is that at a store you have no expectation of privacy. In a home, even if it isn't yours you do.

You keep trying to make it sound like he's going to jail if he does this... maybe you should learn more about something before acting like the authority on it.

Yup, in some places, in some situation, he might. Maybe one of his roomates forgets about the camera and gets busy on the couch with his girlfriend and forgets about the camera ... or maybe doesn't forget about the camera. He could be in some trouble.

I do know a fair bit about the audio recording bit, not as much about the video stuff, and I said as much. So learn a little yourself before shooting your mouth off.

As for the nanny-cams ... as I've said, the laws vary alot state-to-state. I'm sure in some places that's no problem. It may make a difference that the nany is an employee in the home, rather then a guest. It may state in the contract with the nanny that they reserve the right to video tape.

MattCo

Platinum Member
Jan 29, 2001
Originally posted by: gistech1978
you also hear all the time of the child's babysitter or nanny getting busted on a small webcam the parents set up. i dont ever seem to remember the person that set up the camera getting in trouble for doing it.

Thats what I was thinking, what about all of those nanny-cams?

-MC

Kyteland

Diamond Member
Dec 30, 2002
Originally posted by: FFactory0x
I love in an apt with 3 other guys but people come in and out of my place a lot. I have lots of expensive gear in there and want to keep and eye on it. What options in terms of survailance do i have
You might want to fix that typo. :p