Good Linux support they say...

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Lonbjerg

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2009
Your arguments have not exactly been infallible ether pal.

Do you have anything on-topic?

About the adult man flipping a finger...because some guys won't share their toys....for free....maturity was never part of this thread.

.oO(The clever audience will once again notice who I am now the target...not the topic...point proven in one post ;) )

amenx

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 2004
Sorry to go off topic, but Gordon Freemen, can you please re-register as Gordon Freeman. Hate to see typos of well known gaming figures.

Vesku

Diamond Member
Aug 25, 2005
You sure are making some sweeping statements given your lack of understanding of the topic. It's not about open vs closed source. That is only a secondary issue.

This is about providing no information to the developers of a project while directly benefiting financially from their work. Linus has been patient for 8+ YEARS and now he's decided to stop biting his tongue. He's not a corporate PR person, so he doesn't have to hide behind hot air. I don't think he's going to lose any sleep over this.

Blaming NVIDIA for not releasing open source driver under linux (when their closed soruce drivers work just fine) is more silly in my eyes *shrugs*

Lonbjerg

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2009
You sure are making some sweeping statements given your lack of understanding of the topic. It's not about open vs closed source. That is only a secondary issue.

This is about providing no information to the developers of a project while directly benefiting financially from their work. Linus has been patient for 8+ YEARS and now he's decided to stop biting his tongue. He's not a corporate PR person, so he doesn't have to hide behind hot air. I don't think he's going to lose any sleep over this.

I though open source was free..and on a voluntary basis...sounds like I was wrong?

So again, this is all about the open source hippies angry over that the rest of the world don't "volunter" to their cause...not that they have to...but they HAVE TOO...other wise they are not playing nice!!!!

Not because it's required...but because it's "the right thing to do"...accordingly to one party .
My dislike of the *unix crowd is growning at an accelerated rate...

Last edited:

Outrage

Oct 9, 1999
What nvidia does is morally wrong, reaping the benefits of others work without contributing. They are free to do so. But I dont get why ppl feel a need to defend nvidia in this, problems with there own moral compass maybe?

Lonbjerg

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2009
What nvidia does is morally wrong, reaping the benefits of others work without contributing. They are free to do so. But I dont get why ppl feel a need to defend nvidia in this, problems with there own moral compass maybe?

I don't get why people feel the need to attack NVIDIA for not breaking any rules?

Vesku

Diamond Member
Aug 25, 2005
Providing information is not the equivalent of open sourcing, Lonbjerg. Perhaps you should learn more about the subject before making sweeping statements.

Note: There are plenty of closed source hardware makers who work with the Linux developers.

I don't get why people feel the need to attack NVIDIA for not breaking any rules?

Being a jerk may not be against the law but it doesn't mean people have to like, be kind, help, or not speak badly of a jerk.

Last edited:

Lonbjerg

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2009
Providing information is not the equivalent of open sourcing, Lonbjerg. Perhaps you should learn more about the subject before making sweeping statements.

Note: There are plenty of closed source hardware makers who work with the Linux developers.

Being a jerk may not be against the law but it doesn't mean people have to like, be kind, help, or not speak badly of a jerk.

So now, if you don't want to contribute...which is claimed is purely volunterly...you are now acting like a jerk?

Wow...talk about raping the language.

This thread was made with the purpose of smearing NVIDIA.
That why it it is placed in the V&G.

If the intent was about the policies in regards to open source...there is a much better suited subforum for that.

Where is should be.
The performance is not a issue with NVIDIA's linux drivers.
The featureset is not a issue with NVIDIA's linux drivers.

It's nothing V&G related.

The issue is about open source policies..and the apparent lack of freedom in choosing to go open source...or not.

That is the issue.

But that issue gets thrown a lot of decoys.
Just the fact that you don't agree with Linus is enough to try and herring and focus on ad hominem instead.

My question is then:
Why is there no real choice in choosing to participate or not particiate in the fuzzy-warm-feelings-open-source-hugs-feast....with-the-occasional-flipped-finger?

Last edited:

Vesku

Diamond Member
Aug 25, 2005
It is not about open source.

Nvidia doesn't cooperate (I will reiterate, NOT an open source issue) with a project. Head of project doesn't say much publicly for 8+ years. Head of project finally decides there is no point being silent and publicly rebukes Nvidia. This apparently offends you as much as it confuses you.

Nvidia is a GPU company, this is in regards to it's Linux support. Every reason for this to be in Video Cards.

amenx

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 2004
Similar 'moral, ethical' arguments were brought up against Intel by AMD fans a few years ago. I guess that stopped when the majority of them switched to Intel. :p

As is, IMO, Nvidia would not be in the news much over this nor would this thread have grown if it wasnt for the intense rivalry with AMD. If it was Samsung or someone elses hardware that Linus directed his FU to, people would have moved on and such threads would have quickly petered out. Nvidia, like many other HW manufacturers can be at fault in a number of areas, but no other HW manufacturer will see their faults as amplified as NV. Its almost an industry, dwelling on Nvidias 'scandals' or mishaps (Semi-Accurate). And I do believe some of it connected to the AMD camp in one way or another, even if sub-consciously. This is not to shift blame to AMD or anything of the sort, but just to point out that ANY intense rivalry between competing products and their fans will often result in heated discussions, justifications, recriminations, etc, etc. Somewhat like two competing sports teams.

Vesku

Diamond Member
Aug 25, 2005
I'm pretty sure it would be geek news regardless of which company Linus decided to give the finger and say F-You *Company* while looking straight into a camera.

amenx

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 2004
Yes, I'm sure. But it would not have resulted in as heated threads as this.

Outrage

Oct 9, 1999
My question is then:
Why is there no real choice in choosing to participate or not particiate in the fuzzy-warm-feelings-open-source-hugs-feast....with-the-occasional-flipped-finger?

They have just as much of a right to choose, as the linux community have a right to choose to not endorse nvidia products.

Cerb

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2000
.oO(Why is that every anti-NVIDIA thread that fails...people always turn to ad hominem in a sad effort to keep a dying thread alive?)
:hmm:
You should make that your avatar...

But this picture sums up the entire thread...AMD fans think this means NVIDIA is bad...informed people know this is the hippe-stance of the *unix crowd...they act like spoiled children...and attract like-minded people as this thread shows.
I believe this would be the pot calling himself the kettle.

My question is then:
There is. You post as if NVidia must either open their blob, or remain fully closed and behind just to spite Linux and Xorg. There's a ton of room in between.

MrK6

Diamond Member
Aug 9, 2004
So now, if you don't want to contribute...which is claimed is purely volunterly...you are now acting like a jerk?

Wow...talk about raping the language.

This thread was made with the purpose of smearing NVIDIA.
That why it it is placed in the V&G.

If the intent was about the policies in regards to open source...there is a much better suited subforum for that.

Where is should be.
The performance is not a issue with NVIDIA's linux drivers.
The featureset is not a issue with NVIDIA's linux drivers.

It's nothing V&G related.

The issue is about open source policies..and the apparent lack of freedom in choosing to go open source...or not.

That is the issue.

But that issue gets thrown a lot of decoys.
Just the fact that you don't agree with Linus is enough to try and herring and focus on ad hominem instead.

My question is then:
I think there's a bigger question here: why are you so mad?

Lonbjerg

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2009
.oO(Again, as the clever reader has discovered, this thread is not about me...^_^)

mv2devnull

Golden Member
Apr 13, 2010
I thought that this thread started as discussion about an event where someone had expressed their attitude in their personal way. The attitude was related to GPU manufacturer and to IPR management issues (i.e. company policies) but the debate could as well relocate into the "what is acceptable social behaviour" Forum (if such flamebait could exist on the web).

Lonbjerg writes: "my attitude depends on who YOU are". If we, the participants on these Fora, warrant a "not nice post" attitude, then surely the "not nice post" by Linus towards Nvidia complied with Lonbjerg's guideline.

Now we can continue to debate (like before):
* Whether the guideline is appropriate.
* Whether Nvidia from the viewpoint of Linus truly deserves attitude.
* What if the "not nice post" was directed more to everyone else than Nvidia?