Good job everyone, Polio is back!

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000

The last wild polio case in the southeastern African country was 30 years ago, and polio was declared eradicated in all of Africa in 2020.

It came back. Not on a wide scale. Not in a way that will set the world afire. Yet in a way that should make us understand the importance of prevention, vigilance and vaccination — for Covid and for everything else. Diseases that we scarcely think about and no longer fear, like polio or measles, can and do re-emerge.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
When I had my first child, I told my wife I would agree to polio vaccination when the US had its next case acquired on US soil. Ultimately because the risk for inactivated polio vaccine is so tiny I just said go ahead and do it to quell her anxiety.

Thanks to this level of ignorance its no wonder nearly eradicated diseases like measles and polio are making a come-back.

Thank goodness for your kids sake that your wife at least has some sense in her head.... far as I'm concerned you're a borderline unfit parent.

children-with-polio-in-iron-lung-bettmann.jpg

Iron-Lung.jpg

Last edited:

interchange

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Thanks to this level of ignorance its no wonder nearly eradicated diseases like measles and polio are making a come-back.

Thank goodness for your kids sake that your wife at least has some sense in her head.... far as I'm concerned you're a borderline unfit parent.

children-with-polio-in-iron-lung-bettmann.jpg

Iron-Lung.jpg

There hasn't been a case of polio acquired in the US in 43 years. I'm quite thankful to be enjoying the success we've had by vaccinating people prior to then.

By the way, I know I'm stirring the pot. Hopefully we can have a logical discussion instead of writing someone off as ignorant.

Reactions: pcgeek11

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
There hasn't been a case of polio acquired in the US in 43 years. I'm quite thankful to be enjoying the success we've had by vaccinating people prior to then.

Hard to tell from the condescending tone of your original post. :rolleyes:

You sound like a selfish and ignorant anti-vaxxer to me.

Reactions: Zorba and Meghan54

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
When I first read the title of this thread I assumed it was about the stench of Sarah Palin rearing its ugly head once again. Sarah Polio.

• Haha
Reactions: Captante

interchange

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Hard to tell from the condescending tone of your original post. :rolleyes:

You sound like a selfish and ignorant anti-vaxxer to me.

You were reading a tone that's not there. I am far from an anti-vaxxer. It's important to understand the basis and evidence behind vaccines. Real evidence, of course.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
You were reading a tone that's not there. I am far from an anti-vaxxer. It's important to understand the basis and evidence behind vaccines. Real evidence, of course.

Yeah right..... I FULLY understand the importance of vaccines and the supporting evidence behind them thus I have zero respect for people who think like you. (this post is just more of the same)

:rolleyes:

Frankly your wife should have divorced you.... if you don't like being thought of as ignorant try not acting/posting that way.

Sorry but after the last two years I have no time for bull***t and you are chock-full of it.... zero-transmission is what we want with polio and continued childhood vaccinations are the way that happens.

So essentially you're a troll or moron, take your pick. Hope that's what you were going for because you nailed it.

Last edited:

interchange

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Yeah right..... I FULLY understand the importance of vaccines and the supporting evidence behind them thus I have zero respect for people who think like you. (this post is just more of the same)

:rolleyes:

Frankly your wife should have divorced you.... if you don't like being thought of as ignorant try not acting/posting that way.

Sorry but after the last two years I have no time for bull***t and you are chock-full of it.... zero-transmission is what we want with polio and continued childhood vaccinations are the way that happens.

So essentially you're a troll or moron, take your pick. Hope that's what you were going for because you nailed it.

I'd be interested if you could point me to an epidemiologic study about polio and what level of vaccine immunity is required to have herd immunity for polio. Certainly our level of immunization and public health system are sufficient to protect us against having endemic polio be a problem in the US in the future. But that is not a sufficient goal in itself. As I said, a single case in the US would be reason enough for vaccination.

Am I trolling? Well, I was intentionally provocative so you might say so. However my intent was actually to generate a discussion about vaccines that doesn't automatically divulge into partisan name-calling. It hasn't worked.

• Haha
Reactions: Captante

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
Well the Taliban has been doing its best to make sure there was a reservoir left in Afghanistan and Pakistan. I'm sure conflicts in Africa haven't helped either.
I consider this mostly the USA's fault. Because we decided to test DNA from a polio vaccine campaign to find Osama bin Laden, nobody trusts our vaccine campaigns anymore.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
I'd be interested if you could point me to an epidemiologic study about polio and what level of vaccine immunity is required to have herd immunity for polio. Certainly our level of immunization and public health system are sufficient to protect us against having endemic polio be a problem in the US in the future. But that is not a sufficient goal in itself. As I said, a single case in the US would be reason enough for vaccination.

Am I trolling? Well, I was intentionally provocative so you might say so. However my intent was actually to generate a discussion about vaccines that doesn't automatically divulge into partisan name-calling. It hasn't worked.
The conversation about vaccines is to follow the CDC guidelines and fucking get them. If everyone thought like you, polio would make a come back and stick around for a long while because of all the morons that are worried about a 1 in 10 million minor side effect as opposed to the actual disease.

Anti-vaxxers are proof people are too stupid for successful governance, most successful public policy ever "ITS A CONSPIRACY!!! WHO GETS POLIO!!!"

interchange

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
The conversation about vaccines is to follow the CDC guidelines and fucking get them. If everyone thought like you, polio would make a come back and stick around for a long while because of all the morons that are worried about a 1 in 10 million minor side effect as opposed to the actual disease.

Anti-vaxxers are proof people are too stupid for successful governance, most successful public policy ever "ITS A CONSPIRACY!!! WHO GETS POLIO!!!"

If everyone thought like me then there would be 100% vaccination if there was ever another case of polio in the US, and there would be a high level of vaccination in general against polio, certainly well above what would be required to prevent any endemic polio in the US if there ever was a case, although to be honest I don't know exactly where that threshold would need to be set. Additionally, everyone would be vaccinated and boosted against COVID-19, and barring clear contraindication up to date with all CDC guidelines for vaccine preventable illnesses.

But you're right people don't think like me. They polarize. Which makes a rather more interesting discussion. What's the best way to reach people who don't follow evidence?

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Moreso, WTF does polio appearing in Africa have to do with the US, specifically?
Are American anti vaxers in Africa?

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Moreso, WTF does polio appearing in Africa have to do with the US, specifically?
Are American anti vaxers in Africa?

Are you familiar with a thing called "International travel" or the fact that quite a few folks arrive in the US from Africa and the Middle East every day and that ZERO of them are tested for Polio?

Additionally you genius's DO NOT know that "there hasn't been transmission of polio in the US for 43 years" because the majority of cases have very few to no symptoms so folks potentially have no idea they have/had it and never get tested.

All you can say with any degree of certainty is that no symptomatic cases have been diagnosed during that time and I wouldn't bet any substantial money even on that!

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Are you familiar with a thing called "International travel" or the fact that quite a few folks arrive in the US from Africa and the Middle East every day and that ZERO of them are tested for Polio?

Is this some conspiracy you have where US anti vaxers secretly caught polio, traveled to Africa, and infected the locals?
Don't think the OP would buy into that brand of crazy.

Reactions: senseamp