Good job everyone, Polio is back!

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Scary, but unlikely... that never happened to smallpox in all the millennia it infected people. It was always close contact.

"Smallpox spreads from contact with infected persons. Generally, direct and fairly prolonged face-to-face contact is required to spread smallpox from one person to another. Smallpox also can be spread through direct contact with infected bodily fluids or contaminated objects such as bedding or clothing."

In fact, the spread of smallpox is virtually identical to monkeypox.

Which is why I this it's somewhat probable it will spread like wildfire as soon as it reaches schools and daycares.

Smallpox was never actually "airborne" in the classic sense but it can be spread by coughing and sneezing. (which does require relatively close contact)

Everything I've read about Monkey-Pox says that it takes a substantial period of direct skin-contact to spread at this point. (however there have been conflicting reports from Africa & I'm not testing this theory!)

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Which is why I think it's somewhat probable it will spread like wildfire as soon as it reaches schools and daycares.
Made this observation to my wife and son last night. Scholastic wrestling and sports ball teams will likely cause infection to spread in older students. It could be greatly mitigated there through education, but I am in Florida, we can't have that.

Lezunto

Golden Member
Oct 24, 2020
Thank MtnMan,

I have always maintained we need to pay attention warnings from scientists about Global Warming melting permafrost and possibly unleashing terrifying pathogens and viruses that have lain dormant for centuries.

There are some folks, many in community and religious groups, that simply refuse to get vaccinated.

I believe polio was found in the wastewater in Orange and Rockland counties in New York State as well as wastewater in London.

I think the Aliens have delayed their arrival by another ten years.