GOOD Java tutorials?

Discussion in 'Programming' started by Tweak155, Nov 21, 2012.

1. Tweak155

Tweak155 Lifer

I've searched Google and have not found a very good Java tutorial. I would particularly be interested in how to start creating GUI's.

I found a GUI example that just seemed like a headache. I'm too babied by VBA & VB.NET gui's to make a gui. Am I missing something like this for Java?

I need help as I am a decent programmer and learn languages fairly quickly - but learning environments I'm as handicapped as they come.

So to be clear, even very good Hello World examples that talk about points of Java (something that explains WHY we're doing something, not just how) or slightly more complex would be useful.

TIA!

2. Loading...

Similar Threads - GOOD Java tutorials Forum Date
    Java client/server Programming Feb 7, 2017
    Need help with JAVA Programming Apr 11, 2007

3. beginner99

beginner99 Platinum Member

My 2 cents:

If you really need to make desktop GUI, don't use Java unless you really need support on Linux (or non-Windows). For Windows, stay with .net.

Netbeans IDE has a usable GUI Editor like Visual Studio with drag & drop of controls.

http://netbeans.org/kb/docs/java/quickstart-gui.html

If you need a rather advanced client and GUI maybe look at this (never used myself so can't tell if good)

http://netbeans.org/features/platform/

But IMHO in general java is better suited for server side.

4. LumbergTech

LumbergTech Diamond Member

Java is super easy to do most GUI stuff in. As long as you know general GUI concepts, you are good to go. Just grab netbeans and use the visual editor to simplify the layout aspect.

5. LumbergTech

LumbergTech Diamond Member

6. IHateMyJob2004

AHHHHHHHHHH.

GUIs in Java are easy. Stop using these stupid layout tools. Just learn the language and learn the Eclipse IDE.

http://docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/uiswing/

Once you learn Eclipse and how Swing works you can create GUIs blind.

7. postmortemIA

postmortemIA Diamond Member

Yeah right. First,guy worked already with GUI editors, so netbeans would be better choice as mentioned, as it actually has swing GUI editor - unlike eclipse.
    For anything non- trivial, GUI editor is a must. Since it is going to auto-generate Java code, there is a chance to learn how widgets are used.
    Doing it by hand, as a beginner, spells trouble.

8. Merad

Merad Platinum Member

Netbeans Netbeans Netbeans. It's not as good as Visual Studio for C#, but still easy to use.

9. IHateMyJob2004

Not doing it by hand as a beginner will always make that person a beginner as they rely on such crutches going forward.

I have not once found something I can't do without a layout editor. And as a bonus, I don't get code bloat, horribly named variables and disorganized code and I can do crazy things like reuse code.

#8 IHateMyJob2004, Nov 22, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2012
  10. clamum

clamum Lifer

Like beginner99 said, I'd stick to .NET if you don't need cross-platform support. Building GUIs in .NET beats the living shit out of doing it with Java.

If you're just trying to do it in Java for a pet project, or just to learn it for the sake of it, good luck, sorry I can't point you in a direction for a tutorial. I learned GUI building in Java from my first few college C.S. classes.

11. Leros

Leros Lifer

It's a shame that there isn't something like WPF for Java. Android's GUI system is very similar.

I stick to Java for all my personal projects simply because I want to share them with the widest audience that I can.

12. reallyscrued

reallyscrued Platinum Member

13. takeru

takeru Golden Member

IntelliJ IDEA, great java IDE, and there is a free community edition, can also be made portable by editing the config file.

http://www.jetbrains.com/idea/

14. Robert Munch

Robert Munch Senior member