Good independent films?

csyberblue

Aug 1, 2002
I just saw Donnie Darko and Requiem for a Dream today, I absolutely loved both of them. I've seen Pi and the City of Lost Children, and liked them as well. I'm started to get addicted to seeing these more underground movies. Does anyone have any other recommendations for me to check out? Thanks!

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
13 Conversations About One Thing
Rushmore
Royal Tenanbaums
Bottle Rocket
Best in Show
Waiting for Guffman
Waking Ned Divine
City of Lost Children
Amelie
Run Lola Run
Brazil

I'll think of more later

CanOWorms

Lifer
Jul 3, 2001
Spider-Man, it's this neat little independent movie that came out last year about a young man overcoming obstacles in his life to become something better.

There's also this really obscure movie called Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers that came out, too. You should check it out!

bigrash

Lifer
Feb 20, 2001
I haven't seen any good independent film this year, but I really liked these 2 from last year:

Amelie
Y tu mama tambien

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
Y tu mama tambien was good.

Also, 28 Days Later. Not really indie but not many people I know have seen it. Great movie.

Aug 14, 2001
Well, if you guys are counting foreign films as independent films for some reason, then I would also include City of God.

And you'll probably get 500 replies of 'Memento'

Dec 28, 2001
Originally posted by: UglyCassanova

Also, 28 Days Later. Not really indie but not many people I know have seen it. Great movie.

28 Days Later kicked ass!

Goosemaster

Lifer
Apr 10, 2001
Originally posted by: UglyCassanova

Y tu mama tabien was very good.

Brazil is one I always recommend

Sid59

Lifer
Sep 2, 2002
if you mean Independent Movies by "they don't get hollywood money and backing" .. then all of George Lucas's films are independent.

isaacmacdonald

Platinum Member
Jun 7, 2002
city of lost children and amelie are not independant films, they're french.

My suggestion is imdb.org. Search by director. The same guy that made COLC and Amelie made and a great flick called delicatessen. Another great director to check out is julio medem. The guy makes awesome films. Of particular interest is sex y lucia and perhaps Amantes del Círculo Polar. While you're checking out spanish cinema, try intacto (freshman film of fairly high caliber). Real independence is something more like David Lynch. See also: Lost Highway and Mullholland Drive. In the foreign vein, you should watch all of wong kar wai's stuff. He's a masterfull artist. Requiem actually stole a huge amount from one of the segments of his "chungking express". His best includes "Fallen angels" and "Ashes of Time". Damn he's good -- See also: Sunzhou River. Next detour is japanese horror. Hideo Nakata more or less recreated the scene with ringu. That's the classic, but "Dark Water" is by far his best. After that give "Chaos" a try. Zipping back to france, Irreversible is a really awesome anachronistic flick (gets a bit graphic at times). The Piano teacher is also quite entertaining in the perverse french way. Back to america, the Coen brothers give you "Barton Fink" and also "The man who wasn't there" (my personal favorite).

Have fun-

EvilYoda

Lifer
Apr 1, 2001
Man, there are so many great indie movies...there is a top 100 list of them, along with foreign films. I suggest you watch what you can.

A good recent foreign movie is Sex and Lucia, just to start you off.

yellowperil

Diamond Member
Jan 17, 2000
Y tu mama tambien is pretty good. I didn't think I'd like it but you have to watch it at least twice to get all the references.

I also recommend seeing Adaptation. It's a Hollywood movie but is very self-referential, and my favorite movie in the past couple years.

dolph

Diamond Member
Jan 18, 2001
Originally posted by: RabidMongoose
Well, if you guys are counting foreign films as independent films for some reason...

yeah, i'm really not getting that, either. i mean, of course i understand that most foreign flicks are shown along side independent ones, but foreign != independent. fyi.

Wuffsunie

Platinum Member
May 4, 2002
I would suggest

Cube (Not sure about the sequel, haven't seen it yet)
Ginger Snaps
Bad Taste
Meet the Feebles (Those last two are early Jackson, very twisted)
Free Enterprise (PRETTY sure this was indy, or close enough)

-- Jack

Immorality: the morality of those who are having a better time.
-- H.L. Mencken

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
yi yi, better luck tommrow, cube, crash, secretary?, the usual suspects, se7en, amadeus, being john malkovich, trainspotting, lock, stock and two smoking barrels, clerks:)

pookguy88

Golden Member
Jul 19, 2001
damnit, all the theatres here have stopped playing Better Luck tomorrow, when is it coming out on DVD?