Good ideas everyone should be able to agree on?

nextJin

Golden Member
Apr 16, 2009
I love P&N for their deep thought and intellectual debates but I also love bridging the gap between all parties (Democrats, Republicans, and Libertarians). That said,

List ideas or solutions that should just be common sense with almost no debate. I know there are tons more and I'd like to get up to speed with some of your ideas. These could be done on the federal level or community level but state as much when you throw the idea out there.

- Bringing back High School Specialty/Trade Classes (electrical, mechanical, plumbing, construction, etc.) - State level

- Implement finance classes in High School to teach teenagers about cash management, investing, how to balance a check book, how the money supply works, etc. Make this a core class and not an elective. - State level

- Abolish no child left behind. I have friends with special needs kids and those without and everyone of them have had several hours worth of discussion with me and none of them agree with it. - Federal level

And I know some schools have some of these still, but they have been on the way out for sometime.

lotus503

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2005
I love P&N for their deep thought and intellectual debates but I also love bridging the gap between all parties (Democrats, Republicans, and Libertarians). That said,

List ideas or solutions that should just be common sense with almost no debate. I know there are tons more and I'd like to get up to speed with some of your ideas. These could be done on the federal level or community level but state as much when you throw the idea out there.

- Bringing back High School Specialty/Trade Classes (electrical, mechanical, plumbing, construction, etc.) - State level

- Implement finance classes in High School to teach teenagers about cash management, investing, how to balance a check book, how the money supply works, etc. Make this a core class and not an elective. - State level

- Abolish no child left behind. I have friends with special needs kids and those without and everyone of them have had several hours worth of discussion with me and none of them agree with it. - Federal level

Punish the banking industry for fraud where its proven and not with worthless fines rather jail time for those who perpetrated it.

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I like your first two suggestions but in all due regard to Today's political climate, I think on a Federal level the well has been poisoned by obstructionism which will most likely last until the second the black dude leaves Office.

On a State level, in regard to my State, The Political fallout brought in by our Gov. will most likely take decades to repair.

Sep 7, 2009
The very first thing we need to do is restrict stipends and handouts to less than minimum wage. You should not be able to have a better life paid for by the taxpayers than you would worked.

Second thing is restrict familial support. In other words, no more baby momma on welfare, baby daddy on disability, two babys both on soc security disability, with mom and dad both getting extra support due to that.

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008

And I know some schools have some of these still, but they have been on the way out for sometime.

Agree.

michal1980

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2003
I like your first two suggestions but in all due regard to Today's political climate, I think on a Federal level the well has been poisoned by obstructionism which will most likely last until the second the black dude leaves Office.

On a State level, in regard to my State, The Political fallout brought in by our Gov. will most likely take decades to repair.

what fallout?

budgets with surpluses now a bad thing in your fucked up head?

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006

Agreed, except I think "No child left behind" was a good idea poorly executed. I'm not at all sure it can be properly executed at a federal level though.

Punish the banking industry for fraud where its proven and not with worthless fines rather jail time for those who perpetrated it.
I'm not sure there was much fraud in a legal sense, but where someone broke specific criminal laws, certainly. The proper place for fines in my mind is when corporations (of any sort) break the spirit and substantially the letter of the law. A banking example would be where the law requires an independent appraisal and banks use appraisers who are clearly not independent, working out of the bank (or more often, mortgage company) offices and working only for the bank. Slap 'em with a big fine.

Where criminal law is clearly violated, we should remember that corporations are not people, they merely share some of the legal rights and obligations of people. Corporations don't make decisions that break laws, people within corporations make decisions that break laws, and those individuals should be punished accordingly per criminal law. If the law requires that a mortgage be reviewed by a lawyer or other professional and notarized, and that lawyer or professional did not do so, then at least one person should be looking at jail time. Either the lawyer or professional lied to the Notary Public, or the Notary Public notarized something she could not legally notarize, or someone in authority forced the Notary Public to notarize something she could not legally notarize. Either way, there's a crime involved and the individuals should be sanctioned for their decisions just as though they were not within a corporation.

I suspect a great deal of the compromises in safety and procedure that led to the BP deep water drilling rig explosion would never have been made if the individuals making those decisions knew that they personally would be held criminally responsible. If I as an individual break a legally required safety regulation and someone dies I'm going to jail; if a corporation does the same thing it pays a fine.

Sep 7, 2009
No child left behind is a ridiculous concept, based purely on the liberal 'everyone is equal' mindset.

Some kids are destined to be warehouse workers and welfare leeches. The earlier they are separated from the intelligent kids the better.

nextJin

Golden Member
Apr 16, 2009
Mandatory 2 year service upon graduation from highschool.

Although I agree everyone should serve I disagree it should be mandatory. As a Senior NCO in the Army if I had to deal with the likes of Anarchist420, Incorruptible or dmcowen who didnt want to serve or be there I'd kill myself.

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
what fallout?

budgets with surpluses now a bad thing in your fucked up head?

We have no surplus....

http://www.doa.state.wi.us/docview.asp?docid=9905&locid=3

From the Annual Fiscal Report for fiscal year 2012, exhibit A-2 on page 17.......................

Total Revenues 40,517,410,000.
Total Expenditures 41,537,806,000.

Shortfall (1,020,396,000).

After the next 2 year period Wisconsin is projected to have a structural deficit of $2.6 billion.

Read a weep you Rightist ball licker......

Last edited: