Good HT 5.1 system for $600?

Discussion in 'Audio/Video & Home Theater' started by audionoobie8954, Nov 28, 2012.

1. audionoobie8954

audionoobie8954 Junior Member

Hi all,

I am looking for a good 5.1 Home theatre system. Primary use will be mostly Satellite HD DVR, some blu-ray movies and some music from iphone.. My budget is about $600. This should cover the AV receiver and 5.1 speaker set.

Some basic research has yielded the following options:

1) Onkyo HT-S9400THX 7.1-Channel Network A/V Receiver/Speaker Package (Bookshelf)
    Onkyo HT-S8409/7500 7.1-Channel Network A/V Receiver/Speaker Package (Tower)
    2) Yamaha YHT-897 5.1-Channel Network Home Theater System (Tower)

Since this will be my first HT and I am a newbie, please recommend which of the above or something similar would be best for me? The Onkyo with thx and the yamaha with airplay both seem attractive. I am probably ok with pairing different AVR and speakers if there is significant difference. I am looking to buy in Feb '13 so prices are likely to hopefully reduce by then.
    I plan to also buy a 40" LCD-LED TV (no 3D) to complete my HT system. (budget is $500)
    Thanks again

2. sdifox

sdifox No Lifer

room configuration?

3. Number1

Number1 Diamond Member

People have been recommending these items in here. Very good budget systems. Superb values. I think you would be hard pressed to find better for the price.

Jamo S426 speaker package $169

Denon AVR 1612 $189.00

I am sure somebody else can recommend a decent sub woofer.

4. Vdubchaos

Vdubchaos Lifer

Probably this + PSW505 Polk Sub ($180-200)

Denon/Yamaha or Pioneer all have sub $200 receivers.

Some other options:
    Polk Monitor 30s Bookshelves ($60-70)
    Polk CS1 Center ($60-80)

And just wait to get the Monitor 50 or 60 Towers down the road/move Monitor 30s to the back.

I paid $80 a pop for Monitor 50s....

Don't bother with Onkyo or Yamaha speakers.....both Polks and Jamo are great options

5. cheez

cheez Golden Member

OP,

Get the following:

- PC soundcard (you already have one?)
    - Subwoofer that accepts RCA inputs
    - 2 pairs of Audioengine A2 speakers ($400)
    - Audioquest Sydney 1.5m ($200) going from PC soundcard to A2 speakers
    - Audioquest Sydney 1.5m ($200) going from PC soundcard to subwoofer

So that's at least $800. Save up more money to get them. This is a fantastic super high quality sounding 5.1 setup. You can thank me later. ;)

6. Vdubchaos

Vdubchaos Lifer

^^^^ That's a great idea. Blow 2/3rds of your budget on cables!!!

And where are you getting 5.1 from? Unless math standards have changed that sounds like 4.1 to me.....Also sub woofer cost will add to your $800 budget which is already WAY beyond what OP stated.

#6 Vdubchaos, Nov 28, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2012
  7. Anubis

Anubis No Lifer

just add cheez to you ignore list right now and save yourself from the moron

the Jamos are nice,

the pioneers linked below would be another good option, however slightly more expensive

Towers
    http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Home/Speakers/Home+Theater+Speakers/SP-FS52
    Center
    http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Home/Speakers/Home+Theater+Speakers/SP-C22
    Rears
    http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Home/Speakers/Home+Theater+Speakers/SP-BS22-LR

as for subs the Bic F12 is a pretty decent budget sub - can be had for 200 ish when on sale

8. Number1

Number1 Diamond Member

Audionooby8954, please disregard anything Cheez is recommending.

Cheez:
    Your recommendations are a fraud, an abomination, an insult to anybody with a brain.

Audionooby8954, Cheez is known as "IamAnoobieChee" @ the AVS forum. Check this thread to find out what he is all about: Link

9. boomhower

boomhower Diamond Member

Denon 1612 refurb from accessories4less $190. (Adyssee will make whatever speakers you get sound better)
    Polk Monitor 60 x2 $200
    Polk Monitor 30 $80
    Polk CS2 $100

Speaker on sale at newegg.

That's going to eat up $600 once you pay shipping. That'll get you started though. Save $200 and get a BiC F12 sub and you'll be set. For the money I can't think of a way to get better overall sound.

If you wanted to do it all at oncethe previously mentioned Jamo set with the Denon receiver and BiC sub would be a good set-up. The Polk 505 sub is also good and on sale at newegg for $190. If you it's primarily music I'd go with the Polk sub but if movies/gaming I'd get the bic.

10. nsafreak

nsafreak Diamond Member

Another option (hey who doesn't like tons of options? ;)) would be to take the Denon 1612 from accessories4less that boomhower recommended and pair it with an Energy Take 5.1 Classic from Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Energy-Classic...ke+classic+5.1) for $399 and you'll have a complete setup including a subwoofer.