good grief...5 credit card apps came in the mail today...save a tree stop sending them to me!!!!

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
sheesh! 1 Amex, 1 Discover, 1 visa, 1 mastecard, and one CITGO card. Oh, and something from the National Arbor Day Foundation.

Isn't it Ironic? - Alanis Morrisette

MissingLinc

Dec 30, 2000
Hey guys, at least for the USA (other countries too?), you can have forms sent to you by any of the big credit reporting agencies to have your name removed from the lists they make available to creditors. I called Equifax at 800-685-1111. They ask for your name, SSN, address, etc, and you have the opportunity for multiple entires (for those with spouses and other adults living in their house) and send the forms. You make any corrections as necessary, sign the forms, and you should eventually start to see the number of credit offers slow down. I was getting tired of taking that crap to work to shred (never just throw that stuff in the trash!!!). Keep in mind that some companies will still have your info from when they got the list before and you will still get offers. But ALL of those credit offers should have a toll free number to call to allow you to ask them to stop sending offers, usually on back (along with the disclosure) in fine print.

Also, if you rent from a realty or bought a house through a realty, they sometimes sell your name to creditors, usually the type who want to put you in a second mortgage to consolidate your debts. Ask the realty if they do that (don't ask the secretary) and ask to have your name removed. I had to do some running around with my realty (dropping in physically) before I found someone who knew what I was talking about.

AndrewR

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
There's an (888) number you can call that will have you removed from all three agencies at the same time. Check those credit card applications as it might be on there -- the last one I received listed the number. I actually want to receive them because I'm in the market for a new Visa card.

Any suggestions? Need a high limit ($5000 minimum) and low interest (14% maximum).

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Andrew, wish I could help you out, but they usually get torn to shreds and tossed without even being opened.

My girl friend has looked at a couple that had some really nice introductory offers, but after that grace period is up, they really stick it to you. Something like 22% APR figured DAILY after the inital 3.9% 6 month grace period.

From what I can tell, citibank offers some of the best deals. But, you have to have immacculate credit history to get the good deals from them.

AndrewR

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Yes, I look straight at the fine print to see what the ACTUAL interest rate is, not the introductory one. I had one the other day that was about 26%. :Q I laughed when I saw that -- wanted to write them a letter asking if they really did think I was a complete moron.

I'll probably end up with one tied to a store of some sort (not buy.com -- FirstUSA sucks big time). My Visa, which was associated with my alma mater (VMI) is no longer associated with them. :| Plus, they (First Union) just sold their credit card operations to MBNA. I have AMEX Blue, but I need a "normal" one (Visa/MC), too.

Still looking... :)

harpomx

Sep 15, 2000
I get a regular mastercard deal in the mail just about every month offering 5.9% for 6 months, then 13.9 after that, but it has a $50 annual fee. Other than to establish myself a good credit rating, I'd prefer to use my line of credit at the bank over a credit card - it has a mere 10.25% rate. (this is CDN, if it makes any difference, Yanks)

sweetrobin

Golden Member
Jan 20, 2000
I know the feeling I get atleast 1-4 a day every day (cept sunday ofcourse) its soooooo aggrivating ....