Good free app for designing wood items?

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I usually use autocad, but I'm wondering if there is a program specificly for designing things made of wood (2x4, plywood etc). In Autocad I just make the pieces manually but it can get tedious for complex items, wondering if there's a program out there that will let me virtually "build" something with standard lumber sizes.

radhak

Aug 10, 2011
I usually use autocad, but I'm wondering if there is a program specificly for designing things made of wood (2x4, plywood etc). In Autocad I just make the pieces manually but it can get tedious for complex items, wondering if there's a program out there that will let me virtually "build" something with standard lumber sizes.

Sketchup. Amazing capabilities.

Check out http://sketchupforwoodworkers.com/ and many other online resources.

jhansman

Platinum Member
Feb 5, 2004
Awesome. I just was beginning to to draw up plans for a workbench. Think I'll see if I can do it with this tool. Thanks!

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Hmm I always had the impression Sketchup was online only, and I want something local, but looking at it again, it seems it IS local. I will give that a try.

Qvak

Feb 25, 2015
www.deploytech.net
I know this question is a bit ripe but I just ran across it in a search and it looks like you pretty much live here :)

cratepro.com designs wooden shipping crates. Not a drawing program though but that's because there's a lot of details that it handles, and drawing crates along with the controls is quite a challenge.

I don't know if it's what you had in mind but it does work with wood materials and considers all the unique aspects of the materials rather than just looking at the materials as sheets of 'stuff' and long pieces of 'things'