Good first time motorcycle???

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
ninja250 - $3k brand new. i don't have any bikes (ninja 250 will be my first when i get one though :)) but it seems like most people suggest the 250 - it's light and it has enough power be fun, but not enough to kill you instantly.

MikeMike

Lifer
Feb 6, 2000
Originally posted by: Fenixgoon
ninja250 - $3k brand new. i don't have any bikes (ninja 250 will be my first when i get one though :)) but it seems like most people suggest the 250 - it's light and it has enough power be fun, but not enough to kill you instantly.

to small.

Cattlegod

Diamond Member
May 22, 2001
Originally posted by: MIKEMIKE

to small.

yeah, my buddies gf has one and that thing is a dog.

if you are looking for 3k, get a used 600f4i or something.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Originally posted by: Cattlegod

to small.

My first bike was 600f4. Still have it and will never sell it.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003

to small.

any way to test drive bikes of varying engine sizes?

xgsound

Golden Member
Jan 22, 2002
Take the MSF course before you buy. You get some riding time in the course that will give you a better idea what you need. They also give you the riders test and license in the end.

There are many things you need to know as a motorcycle rider that can save your life, and the MSF course covers a lot of them. Most safety gear only protects you during an accident, but this course shows you many ways to actually prevent accidents.

The MPG on almost all bikes is 50 to 60. Since some cars get 34+ MPG, but can be used easier in bad weather, it makes a decision based on MPG less clear.

Jim

zixxer

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2001
Originally posted by: Naustica
Originally posted by: Cattlegod

to small.

My first bike was 600f4. Still have it and will never sell it.

An f4/f4i/esp 600rr are all horrible first bikes.

It's almost a sure bet that your buddy on the 250 will be able to run circles around you - on his dog 250 - in a couple months.

It's pretty simple when you look at who you ride with - the guys starting out on 600/1k supersports simply can't ride for crap. The people starting on ninja's, gs's, and sv's are undoubtedly better riders.

Why?