good, england... let the imperial flow through you!

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
lol, we didn't fuck ourselves up bad enough, let's change the units as well.
We are kinda fucked up in our units as it is.
Beer comes in UK pints (not your wussy American ones), people are weighed in stones and pounds unless they are in hospital when it's Kg. They measure their height in feet and inches, unless it's in a medical setting. It's miles on the motorway but litres when filling your tank. So measuring your fuel consumption is interesting!
Coke is in grams, hash is in fractions of an ounce.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
this brings me great joy

because with another imperial ally it would make it less likely for america to try to convert to SI units in my lifetime

i don't want to switch. imperial units have been fine for hundreds of years.

God, they are obsessed with pandering to every tedious whim of Boomer pensioners..
Future policies to include

Pre-decimal "proper money" to be legal-tender again!
Dogs to be force-fed old bones to ensure the return to the streets of old-fashioned white dog turds!
Snickers to be renamed Marathon with immediate effect! (That's probably more of a sop to Gen-X...on second thoughts I support that one)
Number of TV stations to be cut to 2,with both closing down at 11pm

• Haha
Reactions: brianmanahan

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
Imperial system is the best system. Prove me wrong....wait no I can't say that with a straight face lol. What a weird thing for England to consider. It just seems like a backwards way of thinking to me.

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
Imperial system is the best system. Prove me wrong....wait no I can't say that with a straight face lol. What a weird thing for England to consider. It just seems like a backwards way of thinking to me.

i think a big part of the problem is that "imperial" makes it sound evil

(well, plus everything being related in random factors of 12 or 16 or 4 or 5280 or whatever, instead of 10)

maybe we can re-brand it as the "republic" system?

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
Snickers to be renamed Marathon with immediate effect! (That's probably more of a sop to Gen-X...on second thoughts I support that one)

whoa, i never realized this was a thing!

i'm still salty about losing the alpine white candy bars 30 years ago

KillerCharlie

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2005
I never understand what the gas mileage units are in my rental cars there... miles per liter I think?

Interestingly beer sold by the pint is 20 oz rather than the 16 oz in the US, presumably because their flat room temperature swill has such a low ABV they need to drink more of it.

Switching unit systems are trivial for any decent engineer. I've designed and had produced parts 200 feet long down to parts with one thousandth inch tolerance and never had any problem with any unit system...

Reactions: pmv and Exterous

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
I never understand what the gas mileage units are in my rental cars there... miles per liter I think?

Interestingly beer sold by the pint is 20 oz rather than the 16 oz in the US, presumably because their flat room temperature swill has such a low ABV they need to drink more of it.

Switching unit systems are trivial for any decent engineer. I've designed and had produced parts 200 feet long down to parts with one thousandth inch tolerance and never had any problem with any unit system...
NASA sez hallo.

Reactions: pmv

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
It's getting a bit impressive the ABV they're coming up with. We regularly consume beer in the wine ABV range or higher

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999

I really don't care what units I work in, as long as it is decimal based instead of fractions. Most of my career has been in aerospace, which uses decimal inches. I went to a gas equipment manufacturer for a while that used feet, inches and fractions of an inch to 1/64, OMG that was so annoying. The reason was because they used tape measures in the shop and didn't want to buy decimal ones. I said "Can we at least ditch the feet? Tape measures have total inches on them," but I didn't get far.

I personally think English units are better suited for everyday use. Probably just because I'm used to them, but SI units need more significant digits in a lot of cases, because they aren't based on real world things.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
in my current incarnation (having previously been a musician, chef, videogames tester, Google slave, bank operator, call center guy and phone salesman) i work in Insurance and the preferred form of communication of US hospitals is the.
fax.
machine.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
I got my degrees in science where SI units are the only units. In grad school I took a couple engineering classes and was like, "WTF"; we were doing crap like ?? slugs = pound-mass*fathoms/fortnight^2. The engineers seemed to hold it as a badge of honor to do unnecessary unit conversions.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
I'm pretty much OK with either system, though as @IronWing says actual science uses metric, for, I think, good reasons. Human weight is in stone/lbs and height in feet/inches (until you have a hospital appt, when it confusingly all goes metric), everything else is weighed in Kg/g, as @WelshBloke said.

Long distances are in miles, short ones in m/cm, and the only way I ever remember how many yards are in a mile is by converting from yards to feet to inches to cm to meters to km to miles (because the yard/mile relation only makes any sense if you remember what a furlong is, which nobody not involved in horse racing does).

I make an exception for Farenheit, which is the Devil's unit (used by all the thermometers in hell) and which means nothing to me without doing the conversion. It's a good way of telling that someone is either a boomer or an American if they use Farenheit (and hence to be shunned by all right-thinking folk).