GOOD cop stories: when have you had a good interaction with LEO's?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Oct 30, 2004
Only had one encounter with the police. My car was broken into years ago. There was nothing valuable to steal but some tools went missing. The incident was reported but I didn't really expect much.
A couple of weeks later an officer called and said he'd drop by. He showed up with the stolen items and all the paperwork. We talked about the case for a little while and that was that.

How the hell were they able to recover the stolen items?

Oct 30, 2004
in san francisco we recently had a case of a police officer covering his license plates with towels and driving around neighborhoods trying to drag young girls in his truck to rape them. it turns out he had been caught doing that twice before, but because he ws a cop and they didnt want bad publicity, nothing was done. he didnt kill anyone, just smacked them around before assaulting them

If it is determined that someone in the force knew about that and covered it up, those people should be permanently discharged and never allowed to work as police again. Did that create a scandal? Do you have any links to news reports about it?

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006
This was suppose to be a good cop topic. Ya I know their are bad cops I have had my runs ins . I would hate to think what would happen if they weren't around. Its all a matter of perspective. These men have to deal with scum everyday sometimes the slim rubs off.

mk

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2000
How the hell were they able to recover the stolen items?
When the guy was caught he confessed among other things that some of the tools (it was just a couple of screwdrivers and something else that I don't recall right now) he was carrying were stolen. Might as well return them to the owner when you don't need them anymore?

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
All but four of my interactions with cops have been relatively positive. One of the bad ones was totally my fault, for which I escaped any consequences because the guy was a total A-hole and bitch-slapped the wrong person and, having been fired, was not there to present the case against me. Another was just cops doing their job running a speed trap; I wasn't pissed at the street cops, just at management for putting three cops running a speed trap just a month after telling me my stolen motorcycle wouldn't be investigated because "there are too many stolen." And only one was a real, true asshole.

I don't know I have any particular stories of positive interactions, just traffic stops where with the one exception (which again, I deserved) the cops have been uniformly polite (as have I - politeness and respect gets returned, as does showing your ass.) The only times I have needed them have been where I had something stolen, and although nothing was ever recovered except where we first located it, they have always been polite as they filled out the forms destined to disappear into the black hole of file cabinetry. (Except for the cop who "investigated" my stolen motorcycle, who spit tobacco juice all over my parking lot and solemnly told me it was "probably the ni@@ers. Yeah, the brothers are all about dirt bikes.)

Pulsar

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2003
I have had mostly good interactions with the police. It's certainly hard to call them 'good' when you're being pulled over for speeding, but the majority were polite, professional, and cool.

There was once incident where a girlfriend and I were in the back of a van parked on a side street having a little cuddle, when a police car pulled up behind us. She slithered up into the driver seat and I buried myself in between the back of the driver seat the drier that was in the back (I hadn't taken it to the dump yet).

He HAD to know I was there, but he simply wished my wife well and to be careful when she was out 'all alone'. Heh. 2x professional there.

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
I had a cop write me a $20 ticket for going 50+ over the speed limit. I had another let me drive a drunk buddy home after he was pulled over for weaving.

Infohawk

Lifer
Jan 12, 2002
I've never had any problems with cops. I have had problems with degenerates, thugs, and the like.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
Once I got pulled over for barely missing a yellow light, cop flat out lied in court.

Another time I got pulled over for going 80 in a 65, State Trooper was extremely nice. I was up front and respectful, directly admitted to going 80, (and actually wasn't aware that 80 and over is reckless driving, thought it was 20 over the speed limit) and he knocked the ticket down to 79 so I wouldn't get a reckless driving charge. Extremely fair all things considered.

Third time I got pulled over and let off with a warning in about 5 minutes. Strictly business.

NetGuySC

Golden Member
Nov 19, 1999
I have always impressed with my every encounter with the SC Highway Patrol. Everyone SCHP Officer I have ever met has been 100% professional. I am not sure what they do in training but they are a different breed, that's for sure.

2Xtreme21

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2004
My incidents with the police:

1) First and only speeding ticket to date-- driving back from a viewing of my recently deceased grandfather. Sunday night around 10:30 PM, no cars on the stretch of interstate I was on, speed trap 78 in a 55. All business by the cop. Ticket was written in about a minute. I later contested it asking if I could get the points dropped and the judge (after saying "slow down or I'll bury your ass next to your dead grandfather") dropped it down to 5 over.

2) Riding my motorcycle up the car-pool lane on Saturday morning after meeting a client downtown. You can use the restricted lane for single vehicle traffic during non-rush hour time and motorcycles are exempt even during rush hour. Still didn't stop a dickwad cop from pulling me over on it. As he was writing me the ticket, I asked him if he wanted me to show him the sign at the on ramp saying clearly "no restriction after rush hour" and "motorcycles exempt." He told me to "watch my mouth" and handed me the ticket. Fought it and won, but it was still a waste of my own time.

3) Meeting a buddy in a park and ride lot for an evening ride. He got there before I did and turned his bike off, but when I arrived, he couldn't get his bike started. A cop was patrolling and he asked if we needed help. He went back to the police station and got the battery jumper thing; and even though it didn't work (turns out the solenoid went bad), I still appreciated him trying.

4) G20 riots last year. Tear gassed while in my vehicle-- was driving my girlfriend home and I got to a red light and a horde of douchebag "protesters" (drunk Pitt students) ran out and blocked the intersection. Cops came to disperse it, and set off tear gas canisters right into the damn road. I had nowhere to go, so we just covered our faces with our shirts, but still could barely see afterward.

Bottom line. There are two rules when dealing with the cops:

1) Cops are always right.
2) If they're not right, see number 1 because it's almost not worth the hassle of proving they're wrong. Just bend over and take it from the former high school bullies who somehow made a career out of it later in life.

Siddhartha

Lifer
Oct 17, 1999
I was hitch hiking home after spending a day in Washington DC. A woman stopped and gave me a ride which never happened before. We started talking about politics, music, and were getting along well for the situation. She told me she was a cop and I should not ask her if she wanted to smoke pot.

I did not have anything with me so I was not planning on offering to get her high. But back then it was not an unusual for a hitchhiker to get a ride high or the ride getting the hitcher high. She potentially save me a lot of legal problems.