Good Computer science colleges on the east coast?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: Jzero
Also sticking to known research schools is smart, these will usually be surrounded by companies and work closely with the college....you get to work on budding technology usually.

That all depends on your perspective. I have ruminated more than once here on ATOT about the dangers of allowing "research" to stand in the way of "education." Nothing worse than a professor who sees teaching as a burden that stands in the way of his research.

Well research schools are a little different that a research professor :) You want to make sure you get faculty not someone teaching to cover his PhD cost.

Like MIT for example and Carnigie Mellon....they have stuff you will not get access to on any other campuses. You get trained on future technology and come out of school along with it. What better resume material than saying you helped design/work on the process they need/use?

I went to FAU, unfortunately without IBM there anymore the jobs are harder to come by, when IBM was in town if you didn't find a job elsewhere they would usually have a spot for you. Seimens is here now and place a lot of the engineering students....they aren't interested in Comp Sci so much though....had I known that I'd have gone CE instead. I think I would have liked the math more than the programming.

Å

gopunk

Lifer
Jul 7, 2001
Also sticking to known research schools is smart, these will usually be surrounded by companies and work closely with the college....you get to work on budding technology usually.

That all depends on your perspective. I have ruminated more than once here on ATOT about the dangers of allowing "research" to stand in the way of "education." Nothing worse than a professor who sees teaching as a burden that stands in the way of his research.

yet nothing better than having leading faculty that you can do research with. talk about a great undergraduate experience.

and how come no one mentions princeton?

Gibson486

Lifer
Aug 9, 2000
Northeastern has one of the best CS schools. If it i snot one of the best, then it surely is an excellent one. To bad i cannot say the same about the ECE department.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: gopunk

yet nothing better than having leading faculty that you can do research with. talk about a great undergraduate experience.

twice mentioned above 9. Princeton University (NJ) 4.3

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: Gibson486
Northeastern has one of the best CS schools. If it i snot one of the best, then it surely is an excellent one. To bad i cannot say the same about the ECE department.

Well it qualifies for one of the best....in the top 70 anyway at number 68 :)
Northeastern University (MA) 2.5

Å

gopunk

Lifer
Jul 7, 2001
Originally posted by: alkemyst

yea but that was in rankings... i know us news and world report wouldn't leave it out. i was just curious why it wasn't mentioned explicitly... i mean, sure it's an expensive school, but so is cmu. and it's better than the other schools in nj (except for maybe cmu).

CanOWorms

Lifer
Jul 3, 2001

yea but that was in rankings... i know us news and world report wouldn't leave it out. i was just curious why it wasn't mentioned explicitly... i mean, sure it's an expensive school, but so is cmu. and it's better than the other schools in nj (except for maybe cmu).

CMU is in Pennsylvania

DT4K

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2002
Originally posted by: dcpsoguy
EE? Whats that?

Any other recommendations?

What's EE? jesus stick with your local school for a couple years, I think you may be wasting everyone's time otherwise.

That's what I was going to say.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: kalster
MIT

end of thread

ofcourse you didnt say "where i can get in" :D

first post: I know MIT, but that is way out of my league.

Car. Mellon U is actually mentioned more lately than MIT as the #1, however that's like saying you have a 5 carat perfect diamond vs a 5.000001 carat perfect diamond.

Å

kalster

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2002
Originally posted by: kalster MIT end of thread ofcourse you didnt say "where i can get in" :D
first post: I know MIT, but that is way out of my league. Car. Mellon U is actually mentioned more lately than MIT as the #1, however that's like saying you have a 5 carat perfect diamond vs a 5.000001 carat perfect diamond. Å

geeez
i gotta learn to read the thread before answering :(

well

RPI is very good, UMass Amherst, SUNY, Stony Brook,

BigJ

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
Originally posted by: kalster MIT end of thread ofcourse you didnt say "where i can get in" :D
first post: I know MIT, but that is way out of my league. Car. Mellon U is actually mentioned more lately than MIT as the #1, however that's like saying you have a 5 carat perfect diamond vs a 5.000001 carat perfect diamond. Å

geeez
i gotta learn to read the thread before answering :(

well

RPI is very good, UMass Amherst, SUNY, Stony Brook,

Take my advice, stay the hell away from Stony Brook. It may have a good CS program, but the people I know that go there hate it. Everyone is a Long Island local so they go home for the weekends. Not a good fraternizing school at all. Also they really don't have anything to do there besides drink. They have a good lacrosse program and thats about it. Also their CS program is like 80% Asian, so that could be good or bad for you.

kalster

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2002
Also their CS program is like 80% Asian, so that could be good or bad for you

well EE /CS is normally Asians, in most of the schools, in UC-Berkeley, i know for a fact, most of them are Asians,

Gnurb

Golden Member
Mar 6, 2001
Originally posted by: Legendary
Northeastern is one of the best as well.

what don't you like about the ece dept? other than navabi, i've been pretty satisfied.

Hector13

Golden Member
Apr 4, 2000

well EE /CS is normally Asians, in most of the schools, in UC-Berkeley, i know for a fact, most of them are Asians,

yeah, but 80% asians in a major at Cal is probably below the school average!!!

JonTheBaller

Golden Member
Dec 2, 2002
I highly recommend University of Maryland - College Park. Great CS program, and tons of employment opportunities in the area.

Seriously, you have to consider area when considering employment. Companies like to recruit locally, and the MD-DC-VA is one of the best areas for tech-related work.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: Hector13

yeah, but 80% asians in a major at Cal is probably below the school average!!!

I went to a school in predominantly white upper class area and almost all of the IT department students were the K or whatever visa students mostly from Pakistan and the surrounding areas...they would do their prayers (muslim) in the courtyard en masse, it was sort of interesting to watch. We had a lot of asians also....the white male was the minority, the few white girls were surprisingly non-nerdlike (as were most of the students really), and quite a few black and spanish women.

California has a lot of asians as it is so you are bound to see alot in the courses....here spanish people are predominant and almost in majority in many classes (nursing is a big 'spanish' degree here)...I am sure near San Jose the mexican percentage is pretty high.

Å

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: johnnytightlips
I highly recommend University of Maryland - College Park. Great CS program, and tons of employment opportunities in the area.

Seriously, you have to consider area when considering employment. Companies like to recruit locally, and the MD-DC-VA is one of the best areas for tech-related work.

I cannot recommend this enough now...esp if non-engineering as high school programmers willing to code for $6-10 per hour while living at home thrive down here in South Florida.....employers want all the certs also, even those that make no sense to have together.

I have over 15 years banking experience, over 20 year computer experience, over 300 hours of college work (high level sciences in biology, zoology, chemistry, maths) consisting of 3 classes short of a Chem or Bio BA and a full Comp Science BA, Oracle I training, all the Microsoft Office, Access Training, SQL Training, etc.....

Now if I had actual Computer 'job' experience they 'could' offer me something competitive (their quote)....best offer was $17-19/hr no benefits other than 5 paid holidays and two days for sick or personal time. I did get an actual office instead of sharing like the non-college / high experience programmers...but with $240 in school loans per month that sapped $2 off the top, on top of that I took a major pay cut, even 5 years before going back to school I was making $10k more per year with full benefits (health, death, life, about month vacation time, 5 sick days, 10 holidays, 2 personal days)...

I decided to take a f'd up reduction in lifestyle and luckily have a job I can do from home and plan my real deal...so for me it's going to be learn Japanese (I have to anyway so I can understand what my wife says in her sleep ;) ) and do some international business. I have the bank accounts on both coasts so that's organized, I have friends and family on both coasts that can assist...there are also things like fabrication I can do locally I am interested in....

If you can get into a school that has a direct hirer or more associated with it you always have a job sort of waiting for you.

Also where you live has a MAJOR impact on jobs available, not population or how major a city it is.

Å