Good business/gaming laptop?

Aceofspadez

Oct 12, 2010
I am looking for a laptop, that its primary purpose will be for business ( sleek design/decent battery life )

but one that will also be able to run games like Day-Z, Diablo 3 and LoL at med-high settings.

My current budget is around $1,000...However if I can get a much better one for a couple more dollars then clearly I will,

So far the best one ive found is this.

http://www.xoticpc.com/asus-n550jvdb71-backorder-p-6115...

Thank you!

Moved from PC Gaming to Notebooks
-ViRGE

Last edited by a moderator:

styrafoam

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2002
Your link seems to be broken, can you find the same laptop on amazon or newegg? For $1000 its doable as far as gaming goes, but battery life may be a bit up in the air. These things annihilate batteries, it might be tough to predict without knowing what your specific expectations might be in that area.

Aceofspadez

Oct 12, 2010
Your link seems to be broken, can you find the same laptop on amazon or newegg? For $1000 its doable as far as gaming goes, but battery life may be a bit up in the air. These things annihilate batteries, it might be tough to predict without knowing what your specific expectations might be in that area.

oh crap you right...
anyways I did more research on it and Im liking this more
http://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-IdeaPad...s=ideapad+y510

Only problem with it, as you said is the battery life due to it using 2x gfx
However, I was wondering if there is options of limiting this?
For example, can I put it were my laptop is using power only from the integrated gfx instead of the dedicated ones? in return greatly improving battery life

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
i would suggest a different approach. i might be wrongly biased because back in my days, laptops were horrible pieces of junk, but bear with me a sec.

1) get a tablet. preferably a Windows tablet, but even a iPad would do.

2) get a desktop.

do your day work on the tablet, put all the data you need on it; go home, sync it with the desktop, and do anything compute-intensive on that. Use desktop to game.

this is what i generally recommend to most people IRL. might not work for everyone, but imho its a reasonable solution for most users.

QuantumPion

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2005
Is something wrong with the forum site? Doesnt seem like any links are working for me.

Anandtech redirects links to vendors through their ad service. If you have an adblocker or your isp blocks the ad site the links won't follow correctly.

www. newegg.com /Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152559

styrafoam

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2002
oh crap you right...
anyways I did more research on it and Im liking this more
http://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-IdeaPad...s=ideapad+y510

Only problem with it, as you said is the battery life due to it using 2x gfx
However, I was wondering if there is options of limiting this?
For example, can I put it were my laptop is using power only from the integrated gfx instead of the dedicated ones? in return greatly improving battery life

Nvidia has a driver extension called optimus that is supposed to do exactly that, but it doesn't get talked about much lately. I'm unsure if laptops come with it installed by default or not.

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
I just bought a Lenovo Ideapad u530 Touch Ultrabook. It's been working great for me. Bioshock Infinite and Farcry 3 are both running well at 1080p and medium settings, so it should have no problems with the games you listed. I don't play any of those 3 games, so I couldn't tell you for sure.

Last edited:

slpnshot

Dec 1, 2011
I have an Ideapad y410p and it runs Diablo and LoL fine. I'm pretty sure you can run Diablo and LoL on medium setting with integrated graphics..

The battery life is pretty low. I get 2-2.5 hours with everything running on low. I haven't tried running a game on battery but I doubt I'd get anything longer than an hour if I used the dedicated graphics card. But it's a gaming laptop, I knew the battery was going to be average at best when getting this.

Also, for whatever reason, the laptop loses charge incredibly fast even with the laptop shut down. I even turned off the always on usb port just to be sure, but I still have issues. With laptop shut off, battery will drain around 20% a day. Taking the battery out has it drain <5% daily.

The trackpad is also pretty lackluster. No dedicated buttons and it has terrible multifinger compatibility(Causes the mouse to jump across screen on occasion). I just ended up turning off every advanced features for the trackpad on the drive and it works decently. It's definitely no apple trackpad.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
surface pro so you can play hearthstone and laugh at the guys still using a kb/mouse.

Aceofspadez

Oct 12, 2010
Hey guys, thanks for all the response...
I was told that I should wait till the N550JK version comes out ( with 850m gfx )

Is it worth the wait? Is there a estimated time release on it? When I called Asus they told me June, but the guy didnt sound confident
Also what else is new with it? Is it just the gfx?

Lil Frier

Platinum Member
Oct 3, 2013
It might have things like a slight resolution bump or a bigger drive, if you're lucky. The only other change likely would be a Haswell refresh, which might get it a bit cooler and 100-200 MHz faster.

Kalmah

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2003
I paid $450 for a Lenovo G505s. The a10 apu crossfires with a radeon hd 8650g. I havn't put it through all the tests but I've recently been playing Dragon Age Origins with all settings maxed (except for the setting that adds extra scenery on low) with vertical sync on(no aa) with what appears to be moderately decent framerates. I've had a few annoyingly occasional slowdowns though. Tropico 4 plays nicely with max settings.

The HDD is really slow at 5400 rpm though. I'm thinking about replacing it with an ssd eventually.

It's not the best laptop for the job but I'm extremely satisfied considering the price that I paid for it.

PieIsAwesome

Diamond Member
Feb 11, 2007
I bought a refurbished Dell Precision m4800 recently for $1200.

15.6" 1080P (NON GLOSSY yay!, and seems to be some sort of IPS judging by viewing angles)
i7 4800MQ
FirePro M5100
With a docking port
3 year onsite warranty

I plan to take this to work and back by just plopping it onto a docking port at work and at home.

Good videocard for SolidWorks and some gaming. Supports Mantel.

Chassis is really nice I think. Nice, clean, and sturdy. Runs cool and quiet.