Good beach locations in US for a Christmas trip?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Comparing photos of Tampa
to key west is like looking at old socks on a sidewalk vs flip flops on a pristine Beach.

SaltyNuts

Platinum Member
May 1, 2001
I wish I could offer you more things to do and where to stay in Tampa but I've never been anywhere except the airport. Even that has been several years ago. Now that Allegiant offers a direct connect from Peoria to Sarasota it's our preferred flight.

Thanks bbhaag, I was just wonder if you had any input on what part of town one should stay, either on or closer to the beach or Tampa downtown. But we have pretty much settled on a beach in/close to St Petersberg. 30 min drive to downtown Tampa is no prob at all. We will probably go into Tampa for part of a day then spend the remainder of that day and the whole other day at the resort in the heated pools or on beach if warm enough. Thanks!!!

SaltyNuts

Platinum Member
May 1, 2001
So we have pretty much settled on the Tradewinds Island Grand resort St. Petersberg. Looks like there is a ton of stuff to do there, like 7 heated pools, multiple restaurants, 3 story waterslide, bunch of other stuff. Plus it looks like you have access to its sister resort the Rumfish that is just a short walk away. That has like a restaurant where you sit in front of a 33,000 gallon aquarium. That sounds awesome.

If anyone has any bad vibes about that place please let me know, otherwise I will be booking it tomorrow!

Thanks everyone!!!

SaltyNuts

Platinum Member
May 1, 2001
Comparing photos of Tampa
to key west is like looking at old socks on a sidewalk vs flip flops on a pristine Beach.

Key West was actually one we talked about at the beginning, but I think you can't fly in there, you have to fly into the mainland and then drive down, and we don't have that much time. Next time, for sure!

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
cue tim allen wistful rambling
He's right thought.

I've been to a few of the beaches in Michigan. The Warren Dunes were always my favorite. (Possibly because they take the least amount of time to drive to visit when coming from IL, so i've been there like a dozen or more times.)
Added bonus, it's fresh water so you can swim normal/not salty brine that hurts your eyes.
And, its inland so no sharks.
And its not tropical so no need to worry about crocodiles or alligators that always want to see you later after a while.

SaltyNuts

Platinum Member
May 1, 2001
He's right thought.

I've been to a few of the beaches in Michigan. The Warren Dunes were always my favorite. (Possibly because they take the least amount of time to drive to visit when coming from IL, so i've been there like a dozen or more times.)
Added bonus, it's fresh water so you can swim normal/not salty brine that hurts your eyes.
And, its inland so no sharks.
And its not tropical so no need to worry about crocodiles or alligators that always want to see you later after a while.

Well, shit, now I'm wondering if I should change our destination from Tampa to Michigan...

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Well, shit, now I'm wondering if I should change our destination from Tampa to Michigan...
Best time for Michigan is probably August or early September, as otherwise the lake water likely will be a bit chilly.
Though if you are snowmobile fans, you want to head to the Upper Peninsula any time between now and Mid March.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Me and the significant other are looking for a good quick vacation over the 3-day Christmas holiday. In the U.S. Preferably somewhere warm and beachy. Any suggestions? This would be flying out of Houston. Some spots I see looking at flights right off hand:

Miami
Ft. Lauderdale
West Palm Beach
Tampa

Any other suggestions? Even non-beach, if you have good ideas.

Thanks!!!
Galveston, you've probably never heard of it.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Thanks bbhaag, I was just wonder if you had any input on what part of town one should stay, either on or closer to the beach or Tampa downtown. But we have pretty much settled on a beach in/close to St Petersberg. 30 min drive to downtown Tampa is no prob at all. We will probably go into Tampa for part of a day then spend the remainder of that day and the whole other day at the resort in the heated pools or on beach if warm enough. Thanks!!!
Stay in St. Pete or Clearwater.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
So we have pretty much settled on the Tradewinds Island Grand resort St. Petersberg. Looks like there is a ton of stuff to do there, like 7 heated pools, multiple restaurants, 3 story waterslide, bunch of other stuff. Plus it looks like you have access to its sister resort the Rumfish that is just a short walk away. That has like a restaurant where you sit in front of a 33,000 gallon aquarium. That sounds awesome.

If anyone has any bad vibes about that place please let me know, otherwise I will be booking it tomorrow!

Thanks everyone!!!
Smart move! I thought you wanted to stay in the US, but St Petersburg will be a fantastic place to spend jul. I'm a little jealous.

maxresdefault.jpg

Reactions: repoman0

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
Smart move! I thought you wanted to stay in the US, but St Petersburg will be a fantastic place to spend jul. I'm a little jealous.
Quite a bit to see in that city. I was a bit surprised how much Tsarist stuff they kept around

woodman1999

Golden Member
Sep 19, 2003

Thanks everyone!!!
Staying at rRumfish with kids for February break. Never been but looking forward to it.