Good beach locations in US for a Christmas trip?

SaltyNuts

Platinum Member
May 1, 2001
Me and the significant other are looking for a good quick vacation over the 3-day Christmas holiday. In the U.S. Preferably somewhere warm and beachy. Any suggestions? This would be flying out of Houston. Some spots I see looking at flights right off hand:

Miami
Ft. Lauderdale
West Palm Beach
Tampa

Any other suggestions? Even non-beach, if you have good ideas.

Thanks!!!

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
Fly into Tampa then head down to Sarasota. Some pretty fun things to do in the area and the white sand beaches are some of the most beautiful in the world.

SaltyNuts

Platinum Member
May 1, 2001
Fly into Tampa then head down to Sarasota. Some pretty fun things to do in the area and the white sand beaches are some of the most beautiful in the world.

Thank you for that bbhaag! So far that is my # 1 contender!!!

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
Thank you for that bbhaag! So far that is my # 1 contender!!!
Yeah no problem man. If you do decide to go then be sure to check out Siesta Key Beach at least once. It's crowded af but it is the prettiest. If you're into rum take the tour at Siesta Key Rum their Toasted Coconut Rum is to die for.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Never been but my good friend who has been across this country more than a few times swears by key west as a top destination in the nation. And it does look amazing. It's one of the only places you might find me visiting Florida.

Last edited:

SaltyNuts

Platinum Member
May 1, 2001
bbhaag, just ordered plane tickets to Tampa, leaving Friday December 24th and coming back Monday. Any particular resorts, or locations of resorts, that you would recommend there? That is next step.

P.S. I'm not a rum guy per se, but I am an alcohol guy, so I'm adding the rum tour to the list!

Thanks!!!

Nov 20, 2009
I thought all ANAND member knew about Florida and Floridians being something to not get involved with. I feel like someone is going to get 'nuts pregnant or something.

woodman1999

Golden Member
Sep 19, 2003
Before my parents bought a condo in Sarasota, we stayed here: https://www.lidobeachresort.com/

Was always a nice place and it's right on the beach. Haven't been in a few years, but it was great while we were there. You can take a nice walk to St. Armand's circle which has a bunch of restaurants and shops. Or drive up over the bridge for some more attractions.

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
bbhaag, just ordered plane tickets to Tampa, leaving Friday December 24th and coming back Monday. Any particular resorts, or locations of resorts, that you would recommend there? That is next step.

P.S. I'm not a rum guy per se, but I am an alcohol guy, so I'm adding the rum tour to the list!

Thanks!!!
Sorry I have family in the city so we stay with them when we go so no recommendations on accommodations.

Besides the beach though some other things to do are the Marie Selby Botanical Gardens, go to Mixon Fruit Farm for lunch and order the Cuban then try some of their wine. I'm partial to the Tropical Riesling.

If you wanna surprise your SO get a Sunset Dinner Cruise from Marina Jacks. It's a little on the expensive side but the food and drinks are good and the views from the water are stunning. I surprised my wife with tickets a few years ago and we had a very romantic evening.:)

Last edited:

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Me and the significant other are looking for a good quick vacation over the 3-day Christmas holiday. In the U.S. Preferably somewhere warm and beachy. Any suggestions? This would be flying out of Houston. Some spots I see looking at flights right off hand:

Miami
Ft. Lauderdale
West Palm Beach
Tampa

Any other suggestions? Even non-beach, if you have good ideas.

Thanks!!!

Toss in Myrtle Beach and you've got a list of the filthiest, most wretched beaches in the world right there. Grats!

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Been to Key West once, it was the best in the US that I've seen.
Honestly, i'd go to the carribean or mexico, but, if you want to stay in the US, I haven't been there yet, but might consider Puerto Rico.

SaltyNuts

Platinum Member
May 1, 2001
Before my parents bought a condo in Sarasota, we stayed here: https://www.lidobeachresort.com/

Was always a nice place and it's right on the beach. Haven't been in a few years, but it was great while we were there. You can take a nice walk to St. Armand's circle which has a bunch of restaurants and shops. Or drive up over the bridge for some more attractions.

Thank you woodman, will check it out!!!

SaltyNuts

Platinum Member
May 1, 2001
Sorry I have family in the city so we stay with them when we go so no recommendations on accommodations.

Besides the beach though some other things to do are the Marie Selby Botanical Gardens, go to Mixon Fruit Farm for lunch and order the Cuban then try some of their wine. I'm partial to the Tropical Riesling.

If you wanna surprise your SO get a Sunset Dinner Cruise from Marina Jacks. It's a little on the expensive side but the food and drinks are good and the views from the water are stunning. I surprised my wife with tickets a few years ago and we had a very romantic evening.:)

Got it bbhaag, I'll check out those things to do!

One thing I am reading out about where to stay generally. I.E. close to the beach somewhere (in Tampa or Sarasota or somewhere else), versus downtown Tampa. People seem to be saying its better to stay downtown Tampa. More to do and what not. I really kind of wanted a beach resort though. Might you have any thoughts on that? I'm going to rent a car at airport so driving will not be a problem.

Thanks!

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
Got it bbhaag, I'll check out those things to do!

One thing I am reading out about where to stay generally. I.E. close to the beach somewhere (in Tampa or Sarasota or somewhere else), versus downtown Tampa. People seem to be saying its better to stay downtown Tampa. More to do and what not. I really kind of wanted a beach resort though. Might you have any thoughts on that? I'm going to rent a car at airport so driving will not be a problem.

Thanks!
I wish I could offer you more things to do and where to stay in Tampa but I've never been anywhere except the airport. Even that has been several years ago. Now that Allegiant offers a direct connect from Peoria to Sarasota it's our preferred flight.

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
It's not warm this time of year but Michigan has a ton of great beaches. And the sand on the west side of the state is some of the best you'll find